Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Special Forces Questions

Old 06-25-2008, 11:46   #46
mac117
Guerrilla

You just become a more calculating version of yourself.........if that is maturity, then I am one old Mike Foxtrot!
mac117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 21:45   #47
Mike
Quiet Professional

It helped me give up my Teddy Bear.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:34   #48
bricklayer
SF Candidate

I have always firmly believed that in any profession, you yourself will not pick your job, the job picks you!
bricklayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 23:19   #49
21BravoInDaSand
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc_123 View Post
Great observation, WM, about "experience". All of us get that on a daily basis. No matter what your "experience" level, bad judgements are made just the same; and each bad judgement provides a learning experience.

Speaking for self, one of the things that I can say is that the SF experience made me more confident. Or, maybe gave me the OPPORTUNITY to prove to myself those qualities/character traits that I posessed. ...those qualities that were/are still taught to me by my parents.

dennisw, I can't speak for sure what your son was "taught" because that is a function of the person receiving the instruction, however from a 'maturity' and 'experience' standpoint, one thing that SF training will give you is a large amount of both in a compressed timeframe. Of that, i assure you. That your son is walking the path that he is is a testiment to your mentorship/parenting.

Again, from my personal experience.... I had faced adversity/diappointment in my pre-Army life....however, the key event that I can remember (nothing spectacular, but important to me at the time ...) happened during my re-test for the STAR land-navigation exam as part of the SF Qual Course (SFQC). I got misoriented (otherwise knon as 'lost') and lost a very large amount of time. I finally got myself reoriented and proceeded to conclude that I had no chance of completing the course in the alloted time limit and had an internal debate on wether or not I should quit right there. I stopped, drank some water, and decided that, although there was no hope, I shoud continue and try to do my best and at least fail with dignity. (This was probably the lowest point in my life as it was at this time that I saw all my dreams slipping away.... ) Additionally, I saw history repeating itself in that I had, as a cherry Lieutenant prior to 'the Q', ended up being medically dropped from Ranger School....HOWEVER, I knew I could never face my parents (who taught me to never quit and to FINISH any fight that I got myself into) or live with myself if I quit.) So, I started to run, and I ran through the water across Scuba Road, back North along th Bowling Alleys ...knowing that I was going to fail. I got to my second to last point and then the instructor at the point told me (I don't know why... ), that I "Neeed to hurry". So I ran. Maybe not fast, but as fast as I physically could with a ruck on my back and a M16 in my hands, and with all the desperation of a young man chasing his dreams. I got to my attack point, and shot my azimuth to where I thought my last point was and proceeded onward...and eventually came upon my final point wiht an instructor and a bunch of sleeping students sitting around trying to care for their worn-out feet.

SUCCESS! I had made it!... Probably the greatest achievement of my life.

And the NCO instructor said. "What took you so F_ing long?, you only had 30min left. You're the last one. Grab a seat and get some water." Looking back on that, I couldn't have wished for him to say anything more. Internally, I knew I had triumphed, but in the grand scheme of things, I was just another student who had barely made the cutoff.

I didn't LEARN anything that day, however, I AFFIRMED a lot. I had LEARNED a lot from my parents and my experiences as an adolescent, however I hd just AFFIRMED them as a MAN.

To this day, you're going to have to kill me before I'd quit something that I've commited myself to. (BTW, I did end up going back an graduating from the Ranger Course following my graduation from SF Language School). I'm not saying that I'm the best/smartest/fastest/strongest, however I'm not going to embarass my name or the beret that I wear for lack of effort. In anything.

I'm just one of many.... Hope your son joins the ranks.

Good Luck to him!
Eventhough that post wasn't for me, it's exactly what I needed to hear it right now. Thank you.

~The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools.
-Thucydides

~The one constant that will never change is the caliber, professionalism, and expertise of the SF soldier.
-Colonel Jack Maroney
21BravoInDaSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 16:49   #50
mkpat
Asset

Just wanted to say this thread has been more helpful than anything I've read so far. Great hearing yall's opinion, keep em coming.
mkpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 17:23   #51
Pete
Quiet Professional

In all your reading....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpat View Post
Just wanted to say this thread has been more helpful than anything I've read so far. Great hearing yall's opinion, keep em coming.
In all your reading at this site do you remeber ever reading something about making your first post in the intro thread?

This ain't the intro thread. Now toddle off and do what you were told to do.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 17:52   #52
mkpat
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
In all your reading at this site do you remeber ever reading something about making your first post in the intro thread?

This ain't the intro thread. Now toddle off and do what you were told to do.
I have successfully toddled into the introduction thread. If it were a girl it would have bit me.
Take what you will with the first post but consider this my second.

Last edited by mkpat; 03-23-2009 at 18:03.
Old 03-23-2009, 18:39   #53
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I have successfully toddled into the introduction thread. If it were a girl it would have bit me.
Take what you will with the first post but consider this my second.
You might want to go back and look at your Profile. If I read it right from your interests your girlfriend is a (Lab/Chow mix) Hummmmmm Might want to keep that to your self.

Quote:
Interests
The grace of God, good friends, whiskey, my beautiful girlfriend (lab/chow mix)
I would recommend that you read more and Post a Lot less.
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 18:46   #54
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
mkpat - Interests - my beautiful girlfriend (lab/chow mix)
Sounds as if you're in love with Vanessa del Rio. A word of advice for this site - say what you mean - you'll have far fewer regrets that way.

Richard's $.02
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 18:53   #55
mkpat
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_BHT View Post
You might want to go back and look at your Profile. If I read it right from your interests your girlfriend is a (Lab/Chow mix) Hummmmmm Might want to keep that to your self.
Tis a joke, she listens better than my ex though.

Quote:
I would recommend that you read more and Post a Lot less.
Anything to make this a better place!
Old 03-23-2009, 18:54   #56
mkpat
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Sounds as if you're in love with Vanessa del Rio. A word of advice for this site - say what you mean - you'll have far fewer regrets that way.

Richard's $.02
Last post I promise... Thanks for the advice, I can see how there can be confusion.
Old 03-23-2009, 20:45   #57
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Last post I promise...
SF_BHT's advice to you wasnt to be taken as an invitation to continue posting. Read more post less means you need to be quiet for a while.

This isnt the place to get your last little comments in.

Questions? I didnt think so...

Crip

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 12:49   #58
Utah Bob
Quiet Professional

Didn't change me. Helped me evolve.
Lazy Bob Ranch
Utah Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 14:50   #59
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
It helped me give up my Teddy Bear.
They'll have to take "mine" out of my tightly gripping hands before I'd let it go..............

GB TFS
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 18:10   #60
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

This question was asked in 2005 and I'm still contemplating my answer.

IMO One of the better questions asked so far.

TS