Old 10-12-2007, 06:26   #16
LongWire
Quiet Professional

An Invaluable tool and asset, given the right tools and connectivity...............made us 98% success last tour.............

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -Henry Louis Mencken (1880-1956)

"A Government that is losing to an insurgency is not being outfought, it is being out governed." Bernard B. Fall
LongWire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 07:01   #17
BMT (RIP)
Quiet Professional

SOT-A

And the other side is doing the same to us, probably without as much expertise.

BMT
Old 10-14-2007, 11:26   #18
GratefulCitizen
Area Commander

SOT-A

Some google searches yielded something that seems to spell it out explicitly.

I won't link it.

The document has a publish date of around a year ago and, among other things, has this on the first page:

"DESTRUCTION NOTICE: Destroy by any method that will prevent disclosure of contents or reconstruction of the document."

Is this supposed to be out there?

<edit>

Nevermind my question.
Inside the document is a statement that it is unclassified.
(I still won't link it.)
"Whoever watches the wind will not plant; whoever looks at the clouds will not reap." -Ecclesiastes 11:4 (NIV)

Last edited by GratefulCitizen; 10-14-2007 at 12:15. Reason: Found the answer to my question.
GratefulCitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 10:09   #19
graf77
Quiet Professional

Had SOT-A with our team for most of our trip. Don't know what we would have done with out them. Great soldiers, know their stuff cold, and two of the team that was with us are up for valor awards.
Old 10-16-2007, 18:11   #20
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Wait two post and he is asking about SOT-As?? Makes me think a bit.

Like TR point out use search a bit more.

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 10:49   #21
baiser
Asset

For the most part I am happy to see the professionalism on this topic. Ok, I have extensive knowledge of what a SOT-A is and what they do. This is not the forum to discuss this but I can tell you that if you get a team such as username abnremf described in reference populating their myspace you need to grab them up by the scruff of their neck and kick them in the ass. As much as I enjoyed your response abnremf you have to admit that every entity in SOF wants to be a cool guy. From the cooks to the team guys the cool guy mentality just permeates, most recently added to that list the CRD. Username PARA, great response you were on the right track but you were missing one category, a dead area. You can’t kill bad guys in an area that have no bad guys to kill. Every SOT-A Team Leader I have encountered is equipped with a capabilities briefing that they should be giving you upon being attached to the team. Username PARA stated “broad and inappropriately placed security classification”, well there is a huge security classification and it is well warranted. This is why you will NOT get this briefing in the gym or a theater. If they do not have a brief or are unwilling to brief you this is a sign, again grab them up and kick them in the ass. SOT-A teams are just like ODA teams, you never know what kind you will end up with but most are on point. I have personally seen SOT-As call CAS, adjust mortar and arty fires, save someone’s life under fire, run across an open kill zone with resupply ammo and charge hills in the middle of a fire fight. I know of a team that had received valor awards for one mission, THE ENTIRE TEAM! So, worst case scenario they are a force multiplier. No, they do not come with any kind of selection process (this needs to change), no they are not always the best outfitted, and no they do not always get warm welcomes. It is up to the Team Sergeant and Team Leader to set the tone for the treatment and outfitting of all attachments, if they disagree then they are setting themselves up for failure. I am truly sorry that our friend username Team Sergeant has gone 17 years in SF and does not know what a SOT-A is. Although it is very unfortunate this is not his fault. Due to the MOS itself, it is hard to convince a guy to leave a warm cozy office where he has doughnuts and coffee to go out and get shot at with no type of incentive other than great job satisfaction (that does it for me and my boys). This has dramatically downsized the SOT-A ranks. Just like ODAs 99% of SOT-As want to be there and want to do their job, so use them and use them wisely. Username triguy18e, you will not find me nor members of my team watching someone else’s radios, we have more important “broad and inappropriately placed security classification” work to do . SOT-As can be a great asset if properly emplaced. I recommend grabbing them while in garrison and getting the brief even if they are not attached. I am fairly close to the teams in which I support. I am willing and have given the brief to all who are privy to it and want it. We are there so do your homework and good luck. Oh, and username pete, I can’t leave you out, thanks for the great plug I got a good laugh. I don’t think they are going to want to carry our rucksacks anytime soon.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:06   #22
Pete
Quiet Professional

You missed the wink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baiser View Post
..... I am truly sorry that our friend username Team Sergeant has gone 17 years in SF and does not know what a SOT-A is. Although it is very unfortunate this is not his fault. Due to the MOS itself, it is hard to convince a guy to leave a warm cozy office......
Son, I think you missed his .

Pete
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 11:18   #23
baiser
Asset

Right you are

Pete, right you are and thanks for the cover.
Old 03-02-2008, 14:18   #24
RB
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Pete, right you are and thanks for the cover.
baiser, the 'spacebar' and 'enter' are your friends and will help you get your point across. Great post, BTW.....

Also be advised that all of this forum's posts concerning this subject are listed on the google pages along with several other military forums.

OPSEC is crucial in that less talk and less questions and less information on this subject is 'more'......

That's what makes a QP a QP....

2cents

~D-6606~
RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 11:10   #25
Stevie
Asset

That's what I was gonna say, I agree with Razor.
Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 12:57   #26
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
It is up to the Team Sergeant and Team Leader to set the tone for the treatment and outfitting of all attachments, if they disagree then they are setting themselves up for failure. I am truly sorry that our friend username Team Sergeant has gone 17 years in SF and does not know what a SOT-A is. Although it is very unfortunate this is not his fault. privy to it and want it.

Username baiser, Team Sergeants and Team Leaders disagree all the time and I've yet see an A-Team fail. You speak of things you know little about.

Username baiser, as username “pete” pointed out you missed the wink at the end of my post.

I am username Team Sergeant. User name Team Sergeant has held an "operational" TS+ clearance for 17 of his 20 years in the service. User name Team Sergeant was also an S-2 NCOIC for a Special Forces Group and as such enjoyed scaring the crap out of those intel types he caught eating donuts and sleeping in the Group SCIF, yes, I had full access. During Desert Shield/Storm I was a member of the "Special Planning Group", you may want to read up on your SF history. When I retired I was the SF Command’s NCOIC for G-3, Special Projects. Username baiser, I know full well what a SOT-A is supposed to be.

Username baiser you may want to read more and post less at least until you realize with whom you are dealing with.

User name Team Sergeant
Old 03-05-2008, 13:35   #27
Kyobanim

Stevie, please fill out your profile prior to posting again.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing."
Optimus Prime
Kyobanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 13:40   #28
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie View Post
That's what I was gonna say, I agree with Razor.
Did you receive a registration message or read any of the stickies at the top of these forums?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 13:50   #29
Defion69
Quiet Professional

Tom,

Welcome aboard and welcome to the community. It seems you are quite proud of your job and what you do and that is fantastic, I commend you on that. I also notice you seem a little thin skinned and maybe not yet fully aware of how QP's think or interact and that is ok as you will learn in time. You came out full guns with your initial response to a thread in this forum. Situational awareness is important in this business and especially this community. I am sure after these responses to your post within this thread you get the point. Again, you are proud of what you do and it shows. Good luck to you and take care,

JMD
Defion69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 19:03   #30
baiser
Asset

SOT-A

Username Team Sergeant, I formaly and publicly appoligise, I did not in any

way shape or form intend to insult or offend anyone. My comment to your

previous post was based on experience. Unfortunatly I have met men with,

not quite the experience but with the years not know what it is we are for. My

intent of the post was to dispell some of the things posted on the thread. If

you notice I tried to adress everyone who I needed to in a positive manner

and assist in pointing them in the right direction. At a minum encourage them

to find out for themselves. I am not posting with the intent of bashing,

degrading or embarassing anyone. Thank you username Defion69, I am quite

proud of what I am doing and I love working for the teams. I have a great

respect for what they do and I am damn happy they let me be part of it.