Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 11-29-2005, 20:25   #16
Air.177
Quiet Professional

Milt Sparks Makes a GREAT holster in the VM2. Also, consider Matt Delfatti's work. I have one of his belt holsters for my Glock 17 and it is excellent. Downsides to both of these makers are that since they are true custom makers, they do take time (Delfatti was running about a year wait last I heard) and they are expensive ($135 for my Delfatti, about $120 for a VM2).

Comp-Tac makes great Kydex and I have several of their kydex IWB holsters. They take some getting used to, but they work very well. Check out their shirt tucker and their Ghurka, I have used both with great results in the past.

As always, YMMV

Good times,
Blake
Air.177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 19:35   #17
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Eagle5,

How is Ms. Smith carrying her .380?

I can carry at-work now, but still haven't found anything I don't want to drop kick across the room at the end of the day, or that a skirt waistband is strong enough for, or anything as fast as current carry (UtB).
Well...she is not carrying with a "quick draw" platform with her current set-up. She usually carrys in her purse / bag using a Galco (soft) sheepskin clip holster. She runs the clip into the zippered "change / make-up" slot...gun butt forward.
She uses the same sheepskin clip for IWB when her pant's allow it...she likes it's soft texture, but hates trying to re-holster after a draw. I am going to try transition her to an ankle for this weapon (as her secondary) when we get her compact .45 for a daily carry.
I am going to get one of the Kramers that was suggested...and look to see if she likes it enough to want to wear the same.

There was ANOTHER gunpoint robbery, in a public business, here on the news last night. No way we are going out slick anymore.

Eagle

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Eagle5US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 17:27   #18
Fiercely Loyal
Guerrilla

a young fan of kydex

I have only carried for a year so far but have already determined that IWB isn't for me. Also I am a big fan of Bladetec kydex holsters and mag pouches. I have switched my carry weapon from Glock 23 to Khar P40 to HKp2000 to Kimber Desert Warrior. Each weapon I purchased a Bladtec OWB holster and loved it. For me it was easier to dress accordingly this way. Great product if you would like to venture into plastic.

FL

Last edited by Fiercely Loyal; 07-14-2007 at 17:30.
Fiercely Loyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 14:10   #19
Tacticalinterve
Asset

Frontsote/Dangergirl, worked Detectives a decade or so. Hate to tell all the folks who poo poo 380's how mant dead folks where murdered with one. Not my first choice in calibers but better than a fist and a scream.

Women have a hell of a time with concealled carry because of body shape. I stay out of whats best for them to carry. It will go person to person and body type.

Me I can carry just about anything because I am big enough for my own zip code. I like the old top draw leather belt holster with thumb snap top, for day in and day out use. Thats just me though. Rides well and does not make a crap load of noise like Kydex does.
Tacticalinterve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 07:44   #20
Big Daddy
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatsurgeon
this thread may end up split and moved to the ammo area...oh well.
Here is a pic of expanded (in humans) bullets. All 9mm except the .40 cal black talon on the right and in the lower right corner...all of the rest are 9mm.
upper left: golden saber, lower left cor bon +p
upper right gold dot, lower right .40 SXT
middle upper: talon recovered from vest,
miidle lower hydroshok: expanded but not much wider than pre-fired bullet and this is typical for these...also higher rate of non-expansion in my experience.
ss

There doesn't appear to be much of a difference between the 9mm and the 40.
Big Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 14:03   #21
82ndtrooper
BANNED USER

I am also a Kramer horsehide guy. IWB for the H&Kc .40 S&W. At first I did not like the idea of having to purchase a pair of trouser or jeans two inches larger than my waist line. However, an IWB just seems to make more sense for serious concealment.

I also tried a shoulder holster for a short while. The Galco "Miami Classic" made popular with the "Miami Vice" series and Don Johnsons charachter, Sonny Crocket. However, I had to put away the pastel color linen pants and jackets about two decades ago. It just dont work unless your going to wear suit jacket, of some type, every day, every where. Bad idea unless your a man with a badge. At least Galco has a program to donate holsters to the troops, even though they are the vertical shoulder leather type. Not sure which model that is.

Air.177's advice on the Matt Delfatti leather is also one I'd go with if you dont mind waiting for a while while using another cheaper alternative.

Last edited by 82ndtrooper; 08-15-2007 at 16:03.
82ndtrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 17:49   #22
beaterar
Asset

I carry a XD40SC most of the time in a holster I made out of Kydex. It took about an hour to make and works very well, I have made several others for friends and such.

Here are some pics, it is a tuckable IWB holster.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...Picture294.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...Picture293.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...Picture303.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...Picture304.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...Picture310.jpg
Here is a Out side the waist band for a Glock 30.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...Picture281.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...Picture274.jpg
beaterar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 19:37   #23
Firearmz
Asset

I too dislike paddle holsters. I either use an Inside the waist band (IWB) or a good outside he waist band (OWB). In kydex my preference are the Comp-Tac Infidel or more to my liking horse hide from Milt Sparks. I am just about always in the Summer Special II or the 55BN. It takes awhile to get the Sparks, they are in great demand and each is hand made . The last one I ordered took 24 weeks but well worth the wait.

Comp-Tac

Milt Sparks
Firearmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 23:52   #24
Ryval
Asset

I've used the Belly Band for almost a year now, with my glock 30. For those who havn't seen it, it's a strip of elastic about 5" wide with pockets for left or right hand draw, and a center pocket for a magazine. I carry a pair of handcuffs in the off-side pocket, works well for me and I can wear it under jogging shorts and a slightly baggie tank top. The draw seems fine, the band doesn't seem to move when I draw and the gun stays secure in the 'holster' with normal walking to light jogging (like from the parking lot to the store). I've never tried to exercise with it.

One problem: mine's already starting to stretch out a bit. Nothing to the point of losing it's elacticity, but it's worth noting.

I also use a Bladetech OWB holster with a mag / handcuff combo.

$.02 more, tis all.

"The will to win compares nothing with the will to prepare to win."
Ryval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 09:16   #25
Ambush Master
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaterar View Post
I carry a XD40SC most of the time in a holster I made out of Kydex. It took about an hour to make and works very well, I have made several others for friends and such.
FWIW

I spoke with one of the people, that I think developed Kydex, at Blade or Shot a few years ago. He told Harsey and I that you can "Bond" it with standard hardware store variety PVC Pipe Cement!! I haven't tried repairing anything yet, but it's one of those little known tricks that are worth keeping in mind!!

Later
Martin
Old 01-27-2008, 10:00   #26
kgoerz
Quiet Professional

Bianchi has a new Holster called the Carry lock. I only was able to handle a sample model, didn't do much drawing. But we ordered a bunch of them for our Unit. Ill write up a review when I get more use out of one.
It does have one thing a lot of CCW Holsters don't have and that’s a locking retention system. I am never completely comfortable with someone having the ability to grab my gun right out of the Holster. It also rides high on the hip for better concealment. Excuse my typing, I am on a Train.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:12   #27
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgoerz View Post
Bianchi has a new Holster called the Carry lock. I only was able to handle a sample model, didn't do much drawing. But we ordered a bunch of them for our Unit. Ill write up a review when I get more use out of one.
It does have one thing a lot of CCW Holsters don't have and that’s a locking retention system. I am never completely comfortable with someone having the ability to grab my gun right out of the Holster. It also rides high on the hip for better concealment. Excuse my typing, I am on a Train.
Do you get to blow the horn?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 11:01   #28
kgoerz
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Do you get to blow the horn?

TR
Not only that, I get to wear the Hat also
Old 01-27-2008, 11:09   #29
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgoerz View Post
Not only that, I get to wear the Hat also

Lucky bastidge!

Say Hi to Ed Phillips for me.

Be safe.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 17:53   #30
Squintz
Quiet Professional

I am a skinny little Bastard and I use this:

http://www.blade-tech.com/In-the-Wai...ED-pr-820.html

To conceal an XD .45 Tactical. Very comfortable and functional.

What If The Hokey Pokey Isn't What It's All About?
Squintz is offline   Reply With Quote