Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Soapbox

Old 09-25-2017, 16:49   #16
abc_123
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by the squid View Post
What about those who would stand but support the right to kneel? Yeah, I know, the first amendment doesn't protect you from your employer. I get that. My point is that it's entirely possible to have a nuanced point of view on this, to disagree with their actions without coming off like a rabid lunatic pining for another civil war so he can act out his military fantasy.

What consequences? A second civil war? Are you going to shoot them?
They have the right to kneel. The team owners and the league have the right to fire them or fine them. My issues are with the owners and the league. IF taking that knee cost you your salary for that week then I'd gladly watch. In fact tracking the fines would be a better spectator sport than the boring NFL games. Shoot, Las Vegas could even run a line on particular players "kneeling streaks". Fines could go to charity.

Players get to make their point (whatever that is), fans don't get alienated with the whole league, charities get donations. There. I solved this whole mess and I've only had two beers.
Old 09-25-2017, 16:59   #17
the squid
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc_123 View Post
They have the right to kneel. The team owners and the league have the right to fire them or fine them. My issues are with the owners and the league. IF taking that knee cost you your salary for that week then I'd gladly watch. In fact tracking the fines would be a better spectator sport than the boring NFL games. Shoot, Las Vegas could even run a line on particular players "kneeling streaks". Fines could go to charity.

Players get to make their point (whatever that is), fans don't get alienated with the whole league, charities get donations. There. I solved this whole mess and I've only had two beers.
I get all of that.

I resent the whole "if there's another civil war, this is a great litmus test" rhetoric from somebody who I assume has never worn the uniform.
the squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 17:02   #18
abc_123
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I get all of that.

I resent the whole "if there's another civil war, this is a great litmus test" rhetoric from somebody who I assume has never worn the uniform.
That's good, but c'mon man I just solved this issue for the whole damn country and you don't even mention it in your reply! What's up with that?!!!
Old 09-25-2017, 17:04   #19
the squid
BANNED USER

Quote:
That's good, but c'mon man I just solved this issue for the whole damn country and you don't even mention it in your reply! What's up with that?!!!
One of my many shortcomings.
the squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 17:19   #20
abc_123
Quiet Professional

Thumbs down Feeling the heat...

Steelers' Alejandro Villanueva on standing for anthem: 'I made my teammates looks bad'

Fox News

"...Alejandro Villanueva, a former Army Ranger and the only Pittsburgh Steeler seen standing during the national anthem on Sunday against the Chicago Bears, told reporters he “unintentionally” threw his teammates under the bus.

In a news conference on Monday, Villanueva said it was never part of the plan to be out on the field alone and that he accidentally ran too far, according to CBS Pittsburgh..."

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2017/0...looks-bad.html

In related news...

Ben Roethlisberger says he regrets not standing on field during national anthem

Fox News

"Ben Roethlisberger said he regrets that the Pittsburgh Steelers didn't stand on the field during the national anthem on Sunday.
In a post to his website on Monday, the NFL quarterback said that the decision was not made in order to protest but more so the team would appear united. But he said he was later “unable to sleep” because of the team’s choice...."

“The idea was to be unified as a team when so much a

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2017/0...al-anthem.html

Ah... so complicated...
Old 09-25-2017, 17:36   #21
tonyz
Area Commander

Quote:
What about those who would stand but support the right to kneel? Yeah, I know, the first amendment doesn't protect you from your employer. I get that. My point is that it's entirely possible to have a nuanced point of view on this, to disagree with their actions without coming off like a rabid lunatic pining for another civil war so he can act out his military fantasy.

What consequences? A second civil war? Are you going to shoot them?
Really. I'm talking about discussions taking place in thread linked below.

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...ight=civil+war

These discussions and concerns permeate the nation.

Enjoy your nuanced view I get that too.

Marcus Tullius Cicero
tonyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 18:49   #22
cbtengr
Area Commander

[QUOTE=abc_123;632604]Steelers' Alejandro Villanueva on standing for anthem: 'I made my teammates looks bad'

Fox News

"...Alejandro Villanueva, a former Army Ranger and the only Pittsburgh Steeler seen standing during the national anthem on Sunday against the Chicago Bears, told reporters he “unintentionally” threw his teammates under the bus.

In a news conference on Monday, Villanueva said it was never part of the plan to be out on the field alone and that he accidentally ran too far, according to CBS Pittsburgh..."

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2017/0...looks-bad.html

I would say he's being pretty diplomatic about the whole thing, are his teammates as sympathetic to his feelings though? Kneeling during the anthem or not tasking the field during the anthem hardly solves any of life's injustices though. He did not throw anyone under the bus I cannot say the same for his coach or the team owner.

Last edited by cbtengr; 09-25-2017 at 18:53. Reason: additions
cbtengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 19:12   #23
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

This should go viral..........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jFhborYfWsY

To the NFL players taking a knee, you are cowards and are irrelevant and will soon be forgotten.
Old 09-25-2017, 19:50   #24
cbtengr
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
This should go viral..........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jFhborYfWsY

To the NFL players taking a knee, you are cowards and are irrelevant and will soon be forgotten.
This guy gets it, thanks for posting this, he is not alone.
Old 09-25-2017, 20:59   #25
abc_123
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboprop View Post
I have some brothers in Special Forces that are black. I'm sure they would love to thank you for not being on plantations.

I don't care for the NFL personally, but I understand the concept of being at the top of a game. It doesn't just happen. Those guys (white, black or purple) didn't just decide they were going to do that instead of selling crack or flipping burgers. While you may have a shallow and amateurish existence, that isn't the life that everyone lives.

In the future, please find a more appropriate forum for racist blubbering. If you're confused, re-read my first sentence.

As far as the actual story, well-done Alejandro. There is a way to handle this stuff with class that has a far more profound effect than spitting bile back and forth. Setting the example for others to follow.
Using the term "racist", that begs the question.... If a non-black person knows some black people, does that make their comments/argument more compelling?And, should this be emphasized when commenting on issues that obviously involve race (in this instance, as the originator Colin Kapernick emphasized).

I'm asking this as a white person who knows some black people.
Old 09-25-2017, 21:02   #26
abc_123
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
Common. Sense. American.

Thx for posting.
Old 09-25-2017, 22:14   #27
TOMAHAWK9521
Quiet Professional

I like Derek Weida's response to the NFL:

https://webgram.co/p/BZeZpgsgeqU

Airborne!!
Old 09-25-2017, 23:00   #28
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Steelers' Alejandro Villanueva on standing for anthem: 'I made my teammates looks bad'

Fox News

RFTL (Ranger Follows The Losers).

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 07:51   #29
miclo18d
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMAHAWK9521 View Post
I like Derek Weida's response to the NFL:

https://webgram.co/p/BZeZpgsgeqU

Airborne!!
I don’t do douchebook or twatter, but if I did, I’d take the day off to post that on every nfl teams pages!

That’s a mike drop moment right there!

This about sums up my feelings on how to proceed:
Quote:
Fletcher: Damn you, Senator. You promised me those men would be decently treated.
Senator Lane: They were decently treated. They were decently fed and then they were decently shot. Those men are common outlaws, nothing more
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." — Jeff Cooper

Last edited by miclo18d; 09-26-2017 at 07:57.
miclo18d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 11:44   #30
Golf1echo
Area Commander

Location: Western Carolina in the rainforest,4000' along the Eastern Cont. Div.
Looking at the big picture the news has only tried to take away what benefits their own agenda, bait and click sensationalism. I'm sure more than a few are saying" look at all the responses we are on fire". not really what we go to a news outlets for.

I would like to know the behind the scene news, like why/how/when they all got together at the same time, who are the cadre, what role does the union play in this mess, etc... it smacks of a self licking ice cream cone similarly to the Liberal cities in this country albeit nonsustaining.

Another thought has been my reminiscing about the many employees I have had over the years. I never cared much about what they did on their own time and we had a relaxed dress code for the most part as long as the work got done in a professional manner, that's all I asked. Had they spouted their dissenting political views to of one of our clients. BOOM, they would be gone.

These primarily 20 year olds ( early 30s) who have been in sports programs for a good bit of their existence for the most part and have chosen not to put their money were their mouths with supporting programs that work constructively on their concerns and use their platform in professional sports for whining at the expense of the very sport that brought them their wealth and who think they are influencing me...well... nuff said.

Essayons

By Dand

"In the school of the wilds,there is no graduation day"Horace Kephart
Golf1echo is offline   Reply With Quote