Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 05-15-2017, 06:16   #1
Pete
Quiet Professional

Army uniform board to consider bringing back iconic 'pinks and greens' uniform

Army uniform board to consider bringing back iconic 'pinks and greens' uniform

https://www.armytimes.com/articles/a...greens-uniform

"What's old is new again as Sergeant Major of the Army Dan Dailey pushes ahead on bringing back a vintage uniform.

The Army's top enlisted soldier is heading to the next uniform board meeting, armed with the results of an exclusive Army Times survey, to make the case for bringing back an iconic, World War II era uniform for everyday business wear, he told Army Times in an interview this week.

"That was the uniform of the 'Greatest Generation.' There was a lot of prestige and honor associated with that. The American public identified with that uniform," he said. "We think that is more appropriate than trying to create something new." ..."

This will push the Blues back up to a dress uniform.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 10:04   #2
PRB
Quiet Professional

Please do this Mother Army....that Blues abomination is an...well, an abomination and the ugliest damn conglomeration of shit I've ever seen. Bar none.

Right up there with N Korea in uniform beauty.
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 13:09   #3
JimP
Quiet Professional

Having spent a fair bit of time amongst the leaf-eaters, I'm not sure todays fat-bastige soldiers can fit in these.
JimP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 14:46   #4
Pete
Quiet Professional

Pink and Greens

Pink and Greens was an officer's uniform.

Enlisted wore the OD(brownish) pants, jacket and shirt. Due to variations in contractors the shades of the enlisted could vary a bit - but never enough to be confused with P&G's. This uniform transitioned into the dark green pants and jacket with the khaki poplin shirt and black tie.

JimP - the Ike Jacket is a whole different kettle of fish and did enjoy a period of favor and was kicked around the summer of 2015 as a uniform update.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 14:50   #5
abc_123
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
Having spent a fair bit of time amongst the leaf-eaters, I'm not sure todays fat-bastige soldiers can fit in these.
I don't think that they are talking the Ike jacket. There was a love-hate relationship with that even at the time ... as it would constantly ride up and need to be pulled down let alone not being very forgiving to any little change in body composition.

We need to get over this bad experiment and go back to what made sense. Class B's, Class A's (brown, or green....anything but what we have now) and then Dress and Mess blue uniforms. IF you are an NCO of whatever grade or below...no need to maintain a blue uniform wear A's with a bow tie as necessary. Officers and senior (read: Career) NCOs suck it up and buy the uniform and take a tax deduction...

Put the damn unit patch back on a new A uniform and get all the combat patch pins off the Dress Blues. Good lord... Black Jump Boots with Blue Pants with a yellow stripe tucked in with a white shirt and a Green Beret. What a disaster.
Old 05-15-2017, 16:02   #6
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Pink and Greens was an officer's uniform.

Enlisted wore the OD(brownish) pants, jacket and shirt. Due to variations in contractors the shades of the enlisted could vary a bit - but never enough to be confused with P&G's. This uniform transitioned into the dark green pants and jacket with the khaki poplin shirt and black tie.

JimP - the Ike Jacket is a whole different kettle of fish and did enjoy a period of favor and was kicked around the summer of 2015 as a uniform update.
I did a little google fu. There was a multiplicity of P&G. Some had the cloth belt, others leather, some had the leather belt with the strap over the shoulder. If you look at the picture with Ike and several others, there is at least three or four different shades and a couple styles..

I think most O's and Sr NCO's had the uniforms tailored, so the material was "as available".

I liked the wash-n-waar poplin we had for summers in the 60't & 70t's. I think it would be THE material choice for a retro P&G,, maybe with a darker brown jacket.

There was also the tan uniform the Audie Murphy wore after the war,, but so did Ike and General Westmoreland into the early 60t's
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WestmorelandArmyTan.jpg (43.2 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg AudieMurphyOil_676x1000.jpg (72.4 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg 2a4a894d9c2d3ca3d562ab0c959d3574.jpg (40.1 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg arm-uniform-survey-pinks-and-greens-2.jpg (74.5 KB, 112 views)

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 20:52   #7
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
Precisely.

None of those uniforms look good on people with extra weight.

What are they thinking this time?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 21:30   #8
PRB
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Precisely.

TR
He's not recommending the Ike jacket....just something similar to the old Greens, a full jacket, maybe with an integral belt. In a traditional Army brown or green.

I hope like all hell he is successful....the Army looks like unkempt/color blind fools in that blue abomination.

Since when do you design anything in the military to assist fat people? Wrong way to think. No uniform looks good on fatties....maybe a full Burka.
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 07:39   #9
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

As Pete points out, Pinks and Greens were for officers. The enlisted uniforms of the period weren't nearly as "flattering". If they want to bring back a "retro" uniform for Class B wear, my vote goes for TWs (en lieu of khakis).
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 10:12   #10
doctom54
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrino View Post
As Pete points out, Pinks and Greens were for officers. The enlisted uniforms of the period weren't nearly as "flattering". If they want to bring back a "retro" uniform for Class B wear, my vote goes for TWs (en lieu of khakis).
I agree the TWs were the best office work uniform ever.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:57   #11
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctom54 View Post
I agree the TWs were the best office work uniform ever.
+2

Also on the list of those glad for never having to endure that current blue abomination, and being satisfied with basic OD utilities or jungle fatigues; on parade that blue thing it looks kind of like Salvation Army-Auxiliary (not meant disparagingly toward the SA but I've had to answer questions at holidays on main street to answer "now who are those guys...?").

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 17:08   #12
glebo
Quiet Professional

Well, as stated, anything you have to tuck in...wouldn't work so well with some of the soldiers I've seen around. I'm talking khakis, I'm not familiar with "pinks and greens".. I came in in '78, we had khakis and green class A's.

I've been retired for 18yrs, and I am thinner that some of the soldiers I have seen..and I'm at 230#'s

Now, the wounded warriors, not their fault, but the rest...
Old 05-16-2017, 18:12   #13
miclo18d
Quiet Professional

You fellas are going the wrong way here!

Daily uniform in the team room was either boots and utes or my favorite...

Ranger panties, team t-shirt (untucked), and an SF themed ball cap! Seriously, can you fight in pinks and greens? You can in Ranger panties!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0092.JPG (70.7 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0093.JPG (39.0 KB, 98 views)
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." — Jeff Cooper
miclo18d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 20:18   #14
Go Devil
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Precisely.

TR
It's not what they are thinking, it's what the contractors are wanting.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:34   #15
glebo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Devil View Post
It's not what they are thinking, it's what the contractors are wanting.
And retired GO's who have dibs in the companies...