Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > TMC 14 > Medical Pearls Of Wisdom

Old 01-01-2009, 12:44   #16
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by IV Slinger View Post
For those in the Healthcare field, you can order a free copy from the Borden Institute.

http://www.bordeninstitute.army.mil/order.cfm

I have some of the other books published by the Border Institute, and they are full of quality information.

Totally just saw that somebody already posted this link above.

OK, let me just say than that I am an E-4, and I had no problems receiving "War Surgery". If your reasons are valid, I think they will send the book to you as long as you are in the medical field.
You need to follow the instructions sent to you in your registration message before you post on this website again.

Your post is misleading in that you state "for those in the healthcare field", This implies anyone; civilian, military, students, etc...
What "you think" really is not important when you post something as fact.

Your situational awareness and ability to follow simple instructions is lacking.

Eagle

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Eagle5US is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 13:14   #17
MILON
Guerrilla

I just looked into the link given by IV Slinger and the details on who can order were not given. The details are below.

Active duty military medical personnel may obtain one (1) complimentary book from the Textbooks of Military Medicine series by completing the online order form. Please supply a duty station address including a street address or building number (books cannot be delivered to PO boxes, except for APO addresses; for APO addresses, be sure to include the CMR/PSC and box number).

Civilians can purchase Textbooks of Military Medicine volumes through the Government Printing Office (GPO) Web site at http://bookstore.gpo.gov or via telephone at 202-512-1800. For orders from outside the United States, please add 25% to the price of the book.

Found at http://www.bordeninstitute.army.mil/ordering.html

I tried ordering a copy for our medical section (national guard, not active) before I knew the details. I'll post again if I am able to aquire one.
MILON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 09:25   #18
IV Slinger
FTFSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILON View Post
I just looked into the link given by IV Slinger and the details on who can order were not given. The details are below.

Active duty military medical personnel may obtain one (1) complimentary book from the Textbooks of Military Medicine series by completing the online order form. Please supply a duty station address including a street address or building number (books cannot be delivered to PO boxes, except for APO addresses; for APO addresses, be sure to include the CMR/PSC and box number).

Civilians can purchase Textbooks of Military Medicine volumes through the Government Printing Office (GPO) Web site at http://bookstore.gpo.gov or via telephone at 202-512-1800. For orders from outside the United States, please add 25% to the price of the book.

Found at http://www.bordeninstitute.army.mil/ordering.html

I tried ordering a copy for our medical section (national guard, not active) before I knew the details. I'll post again if I am able to aquire one.
You should be fine. I'm an E-4 in the Reserves, and my unit isn't a medical one (Although I am a medic), and I received this and several other books from the Borden Institute.

I think I received this one around mid-October and I have yet to receive any sort of bill or request for payment. I expect you won't have any problems either.
IV Slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 10:09   #19
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

IV Slinger:

You were given specific instruction by Eagle5US above and it seems you have chosen to blow him off.

Read/re-read the email you received after registering here and follow the instructions contained therein. DO NOT post again until it has been completed.

You will not be told again.

Questions?

Crip

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc

Last edited by Surgicalcric; 01-02-2009 at 12:48.
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 20:21   #20
olhamada
Guerrilla

I just got this book. It is excellent and very well done. Very humbling to see the price some paid. Thank you for the heads up.
"And dying in your beds many years from now, would you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that for one chance, just one chance to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives, but they'll never take our freedom?"- Braveheart

de Oppresso Liber
olhamada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 13:02   #21
ReconRover
Asset

Thumbs up

Got the book about 4 months ago. Well worth it. Very good info on traumatic wounds, and what can be done to stabilize, etc. I show it to clients that don't like to wear their body armor, or want to go shopping in the bazaar. Gives a good kick in the pants.

I always pass the book around after a BLS refersher with the boys, kind of brings it home for them.

P
ReconRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 21:49   #22
fritzscorner
Asset

For those that ordered this book or any other from borden istitute as the 1 free complimentary book how long did it take before you recieved it in the mail? I ordered this same book in early feb and have not recieved it yet.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:21   #23
MILON
Guerrilla

fritzscorner,

I ordered it from borden and it took a while. I dont recall how long exactly, but it was long enough for me to forget I ordered it. Be patient, I imagine it will come. If you forget you ordered it, its a great surprise!

MILON
MILON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 16:33   #24
fritzscorner
Asset

Was just asking because Ill be down range in theater soon and would like to have it before I ship out.
Old 12-22-2011, 16:49   #25
NeverSayDie
Asset

I believe I may have recently come across a copy of this in my college library in the government records section. I gave it a quick flip through but unfortunately was hard pressed meeting a deadline on an essay and did'nt have the time to give it the proper attention. After the holiday break is over I can run it through the scanner, convert it to a PDF, and upload it here to save everyone some of the time and money involved with ordering it.

NSD,

EMT-B Student, 68W DEP, Ranger Hopefull (aka. as cherry as they come)
NeverSayDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 17:27   #26
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverSayDie View Post
...After the holiday break is over I can run it through the scanner, convert it to a PDF, and upload it here to save everyone some of the time and money involved with ordering it...
It is available from the Borden Institute free of charge. No need to upload it here.

NSD: You would do well to spend time here reading and much less time posting. If I were you I would start with searching for "Situational Awareness" and follow that up with "A Message For Garcia."

You have plenty to learn...

Welcome to PS.com.

Crip

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote