Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > TMC 14 > Vital Signs

Old 06-17-2010, 21:37   #16
PedOncoDoc
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by zauber1 View Post
Was this used during Desert Storm? I had been in the big Army for over 10 years and never ever had a bad reaction to anything that was injected, inserted or otherwise administered to my body. Then during the inprocessing phase of recall to active status, SOMETHING that I took or was injected with gave me a severe anaphylactic reaction (tremors, shakes, hypothermia) and I was nonchalantly labelled, "Oh yeah, Charlie. We've got another one over here doing the same thing." I was rushed to the post hospital and given more Benadryl than I have ever seen in injectable form for four days. Then released without explanation...
Could it have been Lariam given as a prophylactic?
Highly unlikely - you were more likely to have a reaction to an immunization that you received. Lariam is oral pill given once weekly when in areas where malaria is endemic.
‎"The dignity of man is not shattered in a single blow, but slowly softened, bent, and eventually neutered. Men are seldom forced to act, but are constantly restrained from acting. Such power does not destroy outright, but prevents genuine existence. It does not tyrannize immediately, but it dampens, weakens, and ultimately suffocates, until the entire population is reduced to nothing better than a flock of timid, uninspired animals, of which the government is shepherd." - Alexis de Tocqueville
PedOncoDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 04:08   #17
uboat509
Quiet Professional

I was on Mefloquine for a JCET to Tchad back in '05. Our medic took me off of it because I started having some "anger issues." At one point I can remember being in my hotel room in a rage kicking the crap out of the door to the room because I could hear the music from the live band out back. It wasn't particularly loud or obnoxious but for some reason it made me really angry. That, and a few irrational outbursts were enough to get me pulled off of the Mefloquine and swtched to Doxy, which gave me a horrible sunburn but cut back sharply on the irrational anger.

I recently deployed to another malaria zone and was put on Doxy because to get on Meflequine now you have to have a documented reaction to Doxy. It was fine at first but then I had a reaction to the Doxy that I wrote off as not having eaten with the dose but then it happened again even though I had eaten this time. This reaction, in addition to the severe nausea of the first reaction, included vomiting, dizziness and some mild paresthesia in my lips and fingers. After that I was switched to Malarone, which still causes nausea if I don't eat with it but that is it.
uboat509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 04:57   #18
ktek01
Suffering from SF TDY Envy

I remember taking it in the test phase, around 1987 or 88 during Cobra Gold in Thailand. Most of my unit was still taking quinine, every day, those of us selected for the test knew because we only took a pill once a week. 3 months in Thailand, with heavy drinking and no side effects. Dont recall anyone having any problems with the meds.

Last edited by ktek01; 07-13-2010 at 05:00.
ktek01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 02:48   #19
Slaby
Asset

deleted

Last edited by Slaby; 03-23-2014 at 07:26.
Slaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 14:47   #20
mark46th
Quiet Professional

Reading about Lariam made me long for the good old days of Cloroquine/Primaquine in Southeast Asia when all you had to worry about was it made you crap in your pants...

Last edited by mark46th; 07-17-2010 at 22:27.
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 15:47   #21
Blackhorse09
Asset

I am currently TDY in Costa Rica and we have a mixture of people taking Doxy and Mefloquine. People taking Doxy on a daily basis dont really have problems. But others who take Doxy or Mefloquine once a wekk feel really sick after taking it. Some said they started talking in their sleep.

Last edited by Blackhorse09; 08-05-2010 at 12:37.
Blackhorse09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 16:03   #22
Sten
Guerrilla Chief

I was on it for two years straight. While I did have a few bad dreams, I had some great dreams too. But more to the point I did not get malaria in a village that had an "outbreak" while I was living there.

While many of my fellow volunteers complained about "lariam dreams" in reality they complained about everything so I would take their reports with a large grain of salt.

- Team Sergeant

"It is a right. If they screw it up, you take it away from that individual. Not the group and not because you think you are smarter than they are."

- NousDefionsDoc
Sten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 16:07   #23
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny498 View Post
I am currently TDY in Costa Rica and we have a mixture of people taking Doxy and Mefloquine. People taking Doxy on a daily basis dont really have problems. But others who take Doxy or Mefloquine feel really sick after taking it. Some said they started talking in their sleep.
Can't take it on an empty stomach. Nausea is a common side effect when taken empty or dehydrated. Dreams are not any worse or better when on these meds...but generally more "real" or "vivid".

Eagle

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Eagle5US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 17:17   #24
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5US View Post
Can't take it on an empty stomach. Nausea is a common side effect when taken empty or dehydrated. Dreams are not any worse or better when on these meds...but generally more "real" or "vivid".

Eagle
Exactly.

And be careful about sun exposure with the Doxy.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:46   #25
Blackhorse09
Asset

Thanks Eagle and TR that is good to know, I will pass on the info because the prescription instruction entail to take the meds two hours before any meal. I am sure some guys will be happy to hear that.
Blackhorse09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 12:12   #26
stickey
Guerrilla

DOXY

Glad i searched Doxy and found this thread. I am currently taking it...going on 2.5 months of it (100mg/day), and for me, it has done nothing but give me the craps and now, i believe it is giving me a really weird case of heartburn/indigestion.

I talked to Doc, got some Nexium....but i think the problem is within the esophagus because every time i swallow it feels like the food and water gets stuck right at the opening of my stomach where the end/bottom of my esophagus is, then feels like a balloon expanding then subsides until i swallow again. Have had to sleep sitting up, now on a ramp i made out of my bed to alleviate the pain and sleeplessness at night. I can tell it has gotten better with the Nexium because during the day I'm not feeling like I'm bloated or trying burp... but I am off (took myself off) of the Doxy for a few until this gets better because Im afraid the combination of both my counter the other.

Anyone else have a similar issue with Doxy?