Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Library

Old 02-01-2013, 17:10   #46
drechsla
Asset

I am currently reading Pakistan on the Brink by Ahmed Rashid, also have Taliban by him that i have yet to start. Also reading Inside Al Quaeda and the Taliban by Syed Saleem Shahzad which is fascinating thus far. Shahzad was actually kidnapped, tortured, and murdered shortly after the release of this book it is believed that the ISI did it after warning Shahzad multiple times. Last but not least my bedside book that I've been slowly burning through is The Generals: American Military Command from World War II to Today by Thomas E. Ricks. I'm still in the first quarter of this book which mainly deals with the Marshall era and how Army General's were frequently relieved of there posts by their superior generals in World War Two at the slightest sign of combat ineffectiveness, contrary to today's structure which frowns upon removing the higher echelons of leadership without presidential backing.
drechsla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 18:24   #47
Richard
Quiet Professional

Hillenbrand, Laura. Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Reslience, and Redemption. New York, NY; Random House, 2010.

An outstanding read (by the author of "Seabiscuit") of a B-24 crewmember growing up during the Depression, and surviving being shot down over the Pacific and internment in a Japanese POW camp.
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 18:36   #48
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Hillenbrand, Laura. Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Reslience, and Redemption. New York, NY; Random House, 2010.

An outstanding read (by the author of "Seabiscuit") of a B-24 crewmember growing up during the Depression, and surviving being shot down over the Pacific and internment in a Japanese POW camp.
I read that book last year on the recommendation of a friend. Louis Zamperini was quite a guy, a great story, and a great read.
Old 02-01-2013, 18:41   #49
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonieDiver View Post
Louis Zamperini was quite a guy...
At 96, he's still with us.

Torrance CA's airport (TOA) is named for him.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 19:35   #50
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
At 96, he's still with us.

Torrance CA's airport (TOA) is named for him.

Pat
Like a lot of us, he's probably not quite the guy he was in his youth as chronicled by that book.

Last Nov, shortly after reading the book, I spent the day at and around Louis Zamperini Field.
Old 02-01-2013, 19:37   #51
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Last Nov, shortly after reading the book, I spent the day at and around Louis Zamperini Field.
Did you go to the Robinson Helo factory?

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
Old 02-01-2013, 19:41   #52
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
Did you go to the Robinson Helo factory?

Pat
No...those things scare me. I used to work where they did test flights for "Rotorway" or whatever 'helicopters' in AZ. Those things reallly scared me. I'm a Huey guy.

I did get to meet Sigaba the next day!
Old 02-01-2013, 19:52   #53
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
No...those things scare me. I used to work where they did test flights for "Rotorway" or whatever 'helicopters' in AZ. Those things reallly scared me. I'm a Huey guy.
I know the Rotorway place, south of PHX. Went up there in the early '70s to look into a Scorpion II. Scared me, too. There are guys still trying to get them to fly. B.J. Schramm was killed in a Helicycle accident. He drowned when it flipped over in a river. Oddly, the Helicycle is one of his better designs.

Pat

Old 02-01-2013, 20:31   #54
kozak
Asset

Algeria 1830-2000 A Short History
By Benjamin Stora. It's for an independent study I'm doing. Very concise history focusing primarily on the Algerian war for independence. It's also interesting to read now with what is going on in the Mahgreb.
kozak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 20:55   #55
Chairborne64
Quiet Professional

A Time for Trumpets: The untold story of the Battle of the Bulge by Charles B. MacDonald. On a bit of a WW2 kick at the moment.

DWIGHT D. EISENHOWER
Chairborne64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 21:13   #56
Badger52
Area Commander

Thumbs up

The Clandestine Radio Operators by Jean-Louis Perquin.
ISBN 978-2-35250-183-1

Almost a scaled-down coffee-table book. While it discusses the various OSS, SOE and other Free French efforts, training, tactics and characters, its focus is on the GEAR. Phenomenal pictures of various old sets, their nomenclature, variants, specs, even what kind of suitcase.

If you're a commo nut, especially a ham into thrown wire, low power, and CW, you pretty much gotta have this one.

And if you didn't like the G-42, you should see what they did with re-purposed bicycles....
Makes one want to find an old pre-war single-stack 7.65 pistol to set next to the radio.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 17:26   #57
MR2
Quiet Professional

Reading The Age of Austerity: How Scarcity Will Remake American Politics - Thomas Byrne Edsall (2012)

Listening to Suarez, Daniel - Kill Decision read by Jeff Gurner (2012)

It's Never Crowded Along the Extra Mile - Wayne Dyer

WOKE = Willfully Overlooking Known Evil
MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 17:30   #58
Beef
Quiet Professional

"The Liberator," by Alex Kershaw. It's about a WWII Bn. Cmdr. in the 45th Div. I had seen the combat camera footage of his unit liberating Dachau. And the subsequent machine gunning of a bunch of Waffen SS prisoners. Watched it on the History Channel a couple of years ago.Decent so far.
Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 17:22   #59
bg_
Asset

books

Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond - Interesting take on why the evolution of societies played out the way it did. (Also read Collapse- How societies choose to fail or Succeed by diamond which is essentially an elaboration/follow on to GGS.)

For a senior seminar research project:

Islam after Communism: Religion and Politics in Central Asia - Adeeb Khalid
Political Islam in Central Asia - Emmanuel Karagiannis
The Accidental Guerrilla - David Kilcullen

Looking for additional material relevant to the aforementioned if any of the experts here have any recommendations.
bg_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 17:33   #60
FirstClass
Asset

Karamazov Brothers by Fyodor Dostoevsky

Einstien said it's the greates book ever written...Thought i'd give it a shot.