Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Hunting & Fishing > Fin

Old 01-15-2009, 18:58   #1
abc_123
Quiet Professional

Marathon Key Fishing Q's

Planning a familly vacation. Still working out the details but looking at Marathon Key in mid April. Going to do some beach time for sure, trip to Key West to say we've been there. However when surfing the net looking at things to do, my wife immediately zeroed in on the fishing and is 100% geeked to do a fishing charter....

Looking at 3/4 day. Fish species immeterial.

Suggestions? / Recomendations?

Thanks!
Old 01-15-2009, 19:48   #2
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by abc_123 View Post
Planning a family vacation. Still working out the details but looking at Marathon Key in mid April. Going to do some beach time for sure, trip to Key West to say we've been there. However when surfing the net looking at things to do, my wife immediately zeroed in on the fishing and is 100% geeked to do a fishing charter....

Looking at 3/4 day. Fish species immeterial.

Suggestions? / Recomendations?

Thanks!
There are literally hundreds of charter captains in the area,, and hundreds of type/styles of fishing.. Need a little more input..

- how many?? you & the misses,, 10 kids,, gram-ma,,
- experience level?? can you bait the kook,, will the misses touch slimy squid, or live bait??
- water experience,, is everyone going to like 3-4 chop (on the good days)??
- Fishing?? grocery & big game??
- what time of the year??
- what is your style,, camping, RV, B&B's, Full accommodation's resort..

The types of fish and their seasons are the driving force for most fisherman. If you want the game fish, Tarpon, Bone, Permit, Sail, Marlin, you need to be here when they are.

If you are like most of us that want to grocery fish,, eg: no trophy mounts,, just good eating, you can have a little more flexibility on dates..

What other activities does the family need?? Beach, Tattoo's & Piercings, Dolphin swim, shopping, Scuba & Snorkeling trips??

We do have "touristas" seasons.

- Winter high season, Thanksgiving thru Easter. SNOW-BIRDS & RV's, You can expect 85-100 % booking at hotels, parks, and guides. the bars & restaurants are full at 4PM. It gets cold,, in the 60t's & low 70t's. Everything doubled priced..

- Spring, low season, Easter thru Memorial day,, prices drop considerably,, BUT this is hi-Tarpon season, so guides will be a premium.. Weather is hot but dry, pre-hurricane season. I co-Host a little get together at the end of may, Poontangle.. It's a bunch of guys & gals that chase Tarpon,, sometimes we even catch some,, but we always have fun...

- Summer, high season, Memorial Day thru Labor-day,, kids are out of school,, we have the blue collar mad house. It get very dicey during Lobster mini-season in July and at the start of recreational & commercial Lobster in August. If we can't kill ya with idiots and boats,, we'll get you with a storm..

- Fall, low season, Labor-day thru Thanksgiving, Our big deal is the kids are back in school, we have two(2) big Poker Runs in Sept & early Oct.. Then there is Fantasy Fest, the week prior to Halloween,, we get very very ADULT crazy,, nuff said... Still time for a couple storm..

I can fill a book,, either here or you can PM and we can take it to email..

References:

Fish Seasons: www.fishing-florida.com/TOPSPEC.htm

Dolphin Research Center: www.dolphins.org/

Fantasy Fest: www.fantasyfest.net/slideshow/

Poker Run: www.petersonskeywestpokerrun.com/default.asp

PoonTangle: www.aoot.com/PoonTangle/

Fishing Pictures: albums.phanfare.com/3794157/1782991

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 23:16   #3
cornelyj
Guerrilla

Thumbs up

Marathon Key ? Why not try and go more south or west into the lower Keys?
Like the keys resident said your trip has allot of factors and believe it or not there is TONS of stuff to do in the middle of the keys!

I recommend feeding the Tarpon, lots of fun for everyone even if you are from Miami like me. The trick is to try and grab the bottom lip I try and get some pictures up if they aren't already corrupted on my comp. I spent allot of time camping in the groves ( in winter) and allot of time near big pine with an added two summers at sea base one as camper and one as counselor.

Flats (fly) fishing is my weakness... Permit and Bones to be exact, but as the keys resident said the fishing trip and time of year and location depend on many other factors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0ncYCEXYYk
There is no magic about being an officer, it is just a different level of responsibility with additional demands to that puts the burden on your shoulders for everything your team does or fails to do.

-Jack M.

Last edited by cornelyj; 01-15-2009 at 23:19.
cornelyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 05:18   #4
Kingfisher
Quiet Professional

Ditto on the above post. I believe that Islamorada and Marathon are slightly better choices speaking about fishing alone. Key West is great fishing also and more of a party atmosphere. Look up Delph fishing in Key West-this family knows how to fish.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:43   #5
abc_123
Quiet Professional

Thanks for the replies. To answer some of the Q's. We're going to be staying at the Coast Guard Station at Marathon and renting a cabin (unless they booked since we called them mid last week) Wife wants slow-paced. Likes that we can rent tackle/small boat if we want to put around. Somewhere around 9-13 April (+-). (depending on leave dates)

The wife aiting the hook? Squirming, sliming bait? No problem. She grew up fishing and crabbing in coastal GA. Taught me how to throw a cast net. Showed my boys how to bait hooks with crickets, how to use caught fish for cut bait and how to clean catfish when I was deployed a while back. Saltwater fishing, I definately defer to her (although she's don mostly inshore).... in our family she's the fishing expert.

Although my wife's dream is to catch a wall-hanger sail or marlin, we're not looking to trophy fish. Just looking for an enjoyable trip for the boys (and her), and at the same time hopefully catch some fish that we can cook up and eat while we are down there. We're thinking that a 3/4 day will be enough to peg our boys fun meter.

There are lots of charter boats advertising online, and i'm sure that there are lots more that i haven't found. Just looking for some local recommendations and if there is two-tiered (tourist-non-tourist) pricing in effect, I'd appreciate a hookup so that I don't get raked over the coals.

As we plan more.. Maybe i can con the wife into letting me go solo on a 1/2 day trip for tarpon or something.. .that would be cool. (won't take the fam on that one).

Thanks again, gents. Appreciate the info!
Old 01-16-2009, 06:10   #6
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
As your including the USCG billets,, KW NAS has a lot to offer..

www.naskw.navy.mil/index.php?id=1399&secid=42

Old 01-16-2009, 07:35   #7
Defender968
SF Candidate

I'm a huge fan of the Keys, especially the middle keys, I'd much rather be there than Key West or Largo, when I got back from my last deployment I was fortune enough to get to spend 10 days on Duck key, you should check out the No Name Pub on Big Pine Key, they've got the best Pizza/Calzones in the Keys, it’s a locals place, great atmosphere and good service, we found it back in the late 90's and go every time we're in the keys. Here's their website, http://www.nonamepub.com
Defender968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:15   #8
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender968 View Post
With-in RPG-7 range of my dock..

Old 01-16-2009, 08:34   #9
Defender968
SF Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
With-in RPG-7 range of my dock..
I'm so jealous I can't even put it into words, I'd nearly sell my soul to live down there. The wife and I kayaked to several of the surrounding islands from the marina near the No Name Pub we had a ball, the keys and especially that area are truly one of the most beautiful places on earth IMO.
Defender968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 06:38   #10
abc_123
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender968 View Post
I'm a huge fan of the Keys, especially the middle keys, I'd much rather be there than Key West or Largo, when I got back from my last deployment I was fortune enough to get to spend 10 days on Duck key, you should check out the No Name Pub on Big Pine Key, they've got the best Pizza/Calzones in the Keys, it’s a locals place, great atmosphere and good service, we found it back in the late 90's and go every time we're in the keys. Here's their website, http://www.nonamepub.com
Looks like that is definately going to be a dinner stop one night!

JJ - Thanks for the link to Key West NAS. I think the wife already looked and picked Marathon because it was smaller with LESS. We'll probably drive down to KW on the first day that we're there to stock up on groceries and to tour around.

Kids are geeked about the trip. We started off by telling them we were thinking of taking them to disney world (they are 8 and 11) and they both made faces untili we told them we were kidding. They are looking forward to the drive thru the keys, snokeling, playing in the sand and especially fishing.

Anybody comes along and has a recommendation for a good charter boat for eat'n type fish. I'm all ears.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:29   #11
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Anytime this gets to be TMI, tell me..

PM me if you need more,,,

Fishing,,

License - Florida has some old Jim-Crow laws,, if you are standing on dry land, no license is needed,, touch water you need one. This allows fisherman & families to grocery fish. BUT, to save your wallet,, you should have a Florida Salt Water Products fishing license. Most tackle shops & K-marts sell them. Non-residents can get a short term(3day,,??). If you are on a Licenced Fishing Charter, the Cpt/boat is responsible for the a blanket fishing license. With or with the license, you still have to abide to the limit/size regs.

Where:

FREE-BEE's - Bridge, Wade, Beach - It's everywhere, easy, and you probably have the gear. Bait - shrimp, squid, pin-fish, cut-bait, just about anything. Tackle 15 lb spinning, 5 wt - 8 wt fly rod, med-heavy bass casting rod.

Charter -

There are several head boats in Marathon, see Cpt Hooks or ask concierge. Dave Navarro's World Class Angler, Marathon, Dave runs a real good shop, live bait, full service,, MM 49. Dave is a Cpt and has charter Capt's on call..

Notes:

- some will keep all fish caught as "crew tips", find out before you pay
- the best are top priced and booked in advanced, my neighbor books 2 years ahead, so he gets the right tides for his customers,, and they get best airfares.
- most will supply all gear & bait, your responsible for drinks & food

Type of Fish - ANYTHING & Everything. Snapper, Grunts, small Barracuda, Mackerel(Spanish, King, Cero), Grouper are everywhere, you do need to be aware of size limits, slot limits, and seasons. When you buy bait or license they should have a fat brochure with all the data.

Warning - With the exception of some carp,, ALL FISH IN THE OCEAN ARE CARNIVORES,, They eat meat, the only difference between a Great White Pointer and a Goby is the size of the teeth and span of the mouth. DO NOT LIP LAND and think you fingers will be OK..

Warning 2 - We have both fresh water Gators and the North American Saltwater Crocodile in the Keys. When shore wading keep an eye out..

Warning 3 - We have jelly fish, urchins, and rays in shallow water. They can hurt you,, ask Steve Irwin. The Portuguese Wan-of-War jellyfish is very bad and looks pretty to kids,, little purple bubble head..

Warning 4 - when going out on a head-boat charter, the Cpt is trying to please all customers,, so if you & your get sea sick,, he will probably not bring you in,, get the motion pills before leaving the dock...

I put together a note several years ago for wade fishing the Keys. It is still viably and applicable to spin and casting rod fisherman.

http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=95444

Your kids are the perfect age to start fishing. Just be aware that a 3-4-5 hour charter may stretch their attention span. Especially if you go off-shore for big game. The bigger the fish,, the more time you spend,, it's called paying dues..

If you want,, next instalation,, how to get here and where to stop and what see, as you drive into the Keys...

Old 01-17-2009, 09:46   #12
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

THIS IS MY LAST POST,, well maybe...

Let me give you a couple touristas spots to hit, either coming or leaving...
There are literally hundreds, but these are my favorites for general family
fun..

1st,, Our only road starts in Florida city, US 1 Over Seas Highway. When
built by Flagler, it was a single track small gauge railroad. After the
trains stopped, the tracks were up-routed and use for guard rails and a
narrow two lane road was built. As you drive down, you will see where the
old bridge sections run next to the new bridges.

Also, In the old days, everything was positioned using MM(mile markers). MM
0 is in front of the Monroe County Court house in KW,, up to MM 126 in
Florida City. Locals still use MM's for way points and addresses..

www.keyshistory.org/MileMarkerChart.html

Starting in Florida City:

The trip to Key West MM 0, from here will be 3 hours ++ with-out stops, so
plan to hit Florida City early if you want to stop,, it's 127 miles to go...
Speed averages under 45 mph, with few passing areas.. Marathon is at MM 50.

Alabama Jack's: At MM 126 or so is the Left Turn onto Card Sound Road, about
10 miles out,, A famous bike stop and country bar, Sunday afternoon's they
use to have hoedowns,, big family style out door place, actually hangs out
over the water. If you continue on past AJ, over the Card Sound Bridge, the
road will lead back to US 1, down at MM 107 in Key Largo.

Warning: Card Sound Rd is treacherous,, and local swatters have built homes
with-in inches of the pavement,, BE CAREFUL.. Also of the East side of CS
bridge starts the North American Crocodile sanctuary..

www.criticalmiami.com/2006/06/30/AlabamaJacks

Caribbean Club, MM 104, This is the only spot that was used in the film
1939, "Key Largo", with Bogart, Bacall, & John Huston..

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caribbean_Club

Theater of the Sea,, MM 84.5, "We are an educational and entertaining marine
animal park where performances are up close and personal. At Theater of the
Sea you can swim with dolphins, sea lions, and stingrays in their natural
salt water lagoons through our interactive swim programs. The lagoons, and
lush, tropical gardens at are home to Atlantic bottle-nose dolphins,
California sea lions, sea turtles, tropical and game fish, sharks,
stingrays, alligators, marine invertebrates, colorful parrots, and
birds-of-prey. "

www.theaterofthesea.com/

Holiday Isle Tiki Hut and "The Sand Bar", MM 84, One of the most famous bar
spots in the Keys outside of KW. The place burned down a while back and the
party moved out into the channel of a sand-bar about a mile off-shore, The
Islamorada police and the US Coast Guard are fighting over who is going to
foot the bill for the LEO coverage,, on a good week-end there may be 300 to
400 boats..

www.holidayisle.com/

World Wide Fisherman's (a BassPro shop), MM 81.5,, Boy's Toys, nuff said??
Also has a great eatery, out on the dock or inside/upstairs.. They have a
very large saltwater tank with local fish species.. A MUST STOP...

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...=94&storeID=21

Robby's, MM 77.5, Great local landmark, fishing guides,, you can feed the
Tarpon at the dock, watch the vid clip on the web site,, some of those
suckers are BIG..

www.robbies.com/

Dolphin Research Center, MM 59 on Grassy Key,, "Dolphin Research Center is a
not-for-profit organization with goals to promote peaceful coexistence,
cooperation and communication between marine mammals, humans and the
environment we share through research and education and to operate for the
advancement of research and education. The health and well being of DRC's
dolphins holds absolute precedence over all other interests. DRC will
undertake no program or activity that compromises this basic commitment."

www.dolphins.org/

Marathon,, MM 50, K-mart & Publics,, what more do you want..

Sombrero Beach, Sombrero Boulevard at MM 50 Oceanside, Marathon. A public
beach with picnic facilities and children's playground.

http://goflorida.about.com/cs/florid...s_marathon.htm

Pigeon Key, MM 47 bayside, Marathon. Dotted with quaint cottages, the
historic Pigeon Key formerly served as a camp for laborers erecting the
Seven Mile Bridge. This island now showcases a museum and offers
opportunities to picnic and snorkel; (305) 743-5999.

www.pigeonkey.net/home.html

Seven Mile Bridge, MM 47 through MM 40, Touristas parking at both ends,, BE
CAREFUL CROSSING, touristas taking pictures hose up traffic and idiots
passing on double yellow&*^(&(&%(^%(^... On the West end is the small
"Veterans Park" and beach.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Mile_Bridge

Bahia Honda State Park, MM 37, Just a great beach park. You can get up close
to the old rail-road bridge that was use for the early road bed..

www.bahiahondapark.com/

The area between the old and new bridges is probably some of the best
inshore fishing in the World... Famous for big Tarpon and the Palolo worm
hatch..

http://www.keysfishingreport.com/flo...lo-worm-hatch/

Big Pine Key & the No Name Pub, MM 30, this is one of the reasons we purchased our house. We live in the new section behind the NNP. Great piazza and cold beer.. It use to be on the KW Poker Run..Hard to find.. The pub is a small place, built in the 1800's, Started as a home, then fishing camp & grocery store. When the rail road was being built in the early 1900's, it house ladies doing the horizontal boggie...

ALSO, watch out for the Key Deer,, most of the little suckers are smaller
than a coon hound, but cute. They wonder around Big Pine Key all the time,
but come out in the late afternoon in droves. There are only about 1k so the
tree huggers have turned my island into a "National Key Deer Sanctuary", I
say not more. YOU WILL NOTICE the signs and flashing lights when you hit MM
33... BPK is also the Great White Heron Bird Sanctuary.

www.nonamepub.com/

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationa...Deer_Sanctuary

No Name Key,, strange little island,, it started out in the 1830 as the 1st
school for Dade County during the Indian Wars, during the Civil War it and
BPK supplied most of the farm vegetables to the South, reportedly owned by
Howard Hughes and loaned to Alpha 66 in the late 50t's, they trained here
for the Bay of Pigs invasion, then it became a drug runners haven in the
early 70t's,, now it's an up-scale rich hippy hang-out, no electricity or no
water, lots of solar or wind power, houses in the seven figure range,, and
lots of Key Deer.. It's just across the bridge from the No Name Pub..

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Name_Key

Key West,, MM 0, tooo much to talk about,, but if you have the time here are
my hi-spots..

- the Conch Train Tours,, it's way to expensive,, but it is very good, great
history tour of the island

www.conchtourtrain.com/

- Sun-Set at Mallory Square, Started out as just that, a great spot to watch
the sun go down,, then it turned into a hippy street party,, now it's kinda
a mixed hippy carnival,, worth the watch..

www.sunsetcelebration.org/

- Sun-Set Sails.

www.keywesttravelguide.com/sunset_sails.html

- Fort Jefferson Tour

http://www.drytortugasinfo.com

- El Siboney Restaurant, Real Cuban food, home cooked, family run,
inexpensive and muy delicioso..

www.elsiboneyrestaurant.com/index.htm

- Kermit's Key West Key Lime Shoppe,, The Best Key Lime Pie (besides my
wife's). it's very small, over by the Old Navy Docks,, I love the Key Lime
dipped in Dark Chocolate ice-cream on a stick... H

www.keylimeshop.com/

- Mel Fisher's Museum, I was approached by him or one of his kids when I was
in scuba school in 1969,, they were looking for divers to chase some fool
gold scheme,, one of those life time opportunities lost...

www.melfisher.org/

- Duval St,, The Party Capital of the Keys, North end is for touristas South End for the brave and "alternate life style" crowds..

We don't have a lot of street crime,, pan-handlers are the biggest problem..

During Bike Week,, there are a bunch of wheels stolen.. They close off Duval and use it as a parking lot for both the Poker Run and Fantasy Fest..

Monroe county has about 60k residents, During Poker run we can et 25K bikes,, During Fantasy Fest we have had as many as 150k attend...

And the piece-day-resin-stance,, the "MUST DO" on any SF tour of the Keys..

- USAJFK SF Scuba School - USNAS, Trumbo Point Annex, Key West, Florida

Just a few spots, there are many,, you could spend a week or more and not
see the same place twice..

Old 01-17-2009, 11:40   #13
TrapLine
Guerrilla

Thanks

I just wanted to say thanks for all the valuable insight, even though it was not intended for me. My wife and I are going to be in Marathon the first week of April so I appreciate the local insight. We (me) plan to do some fishing and relaxing. Sorry for interrupting the thread...back to hiding.

Last edited by TrapLine; 01-17-2009 at 11:44.
TrapLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 13:16   #14
abc_123
Quiet Professional

WOW!

JJ- Appreciate your time. Haven't read all of what you wrote, (am writing a paper for an Org Behavior class right now)... but will. Wife and I will likely bring make a couple of cocktails and start at the top.

You're not kidding about the saltwater carnivores! Went fishing earlier in the year south of Savannah where my wife's family still has some property and a run-down cottage. I caught a goby. Scary little bastard! Definately not like the bass and sunfish that I grew up catching. My wife started laughing at me because I must have been looking at it like I caught a monster. ..asked me if I needed help getting it off the hook...

just dropped our app for a cottage a the USCGS, Marathon Key. We'll see what dates we get.

Appreciate the fishing info. Might have to bring some of my own tackle. Or, maybe just rent some somewhere.... plenty of time to figure it out.

Trapline, we'll be down there week after you. If you have internet.. hook up and let me know how the fishing is.
Old 01-17-2009, 15:57   #15
TrapLine
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc_123 View Post

Trapline, we'll be down there week after you. If you have internet.. hook up and let me know how the fishing is.
It is the least I can do. Thank you for starting this thread, the info has been great. I will be sure to give you a report. I plan to do a day of offshore fishing and a couple of days of fishing the flats for tarpon, bonefish and permit. Now I better run for cover. Two posts in one day might put me in the Team Sergeant's sights.
TrapLine is offline   Reply With Quote