Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 03-19-2005, 15:40   #76
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAB32
We wear allot of "Hi-Tecs" up here and they seem to hold up well in the snow and rain. Did a week long class with TTOS in Columbus a few years back and they held up real well with the exception of the toe portions turning green. In the winter we just put on Seal Skins and that helps out allot.
In our experience, the Hi-Tec is a poorly-made, high-topped tennis shoe that will fall apart quickly under hard use in the field.

Good boot for a garrison soldier or a finance clerk at the COSCOM though.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 17:46   #77
MAB32

Good enough for us LEO's.
Old 03-19-2005, 18:45   #78
MAB32

No, really you are right TR, they also came unglued that Friday of the course. I assume the "greening" was due to the poor coloring of the leather too.

I've tried Ridge and Thorogood's and found them to be also lacking in quality control. GSG9's sound good but the price is out of my range, even with a uniform allowance. Anybody tried any Rocky's and had a positive experience?
Old 03-19-2005, 18:55   #79
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
No, really you are right TR, they also came unglued that Friday of the course. I assume the "greening" was due to the poor coloring of the leather too.

I've tried Ridge and Thorogood's and found them to be also lacking in quality control. GSG9's sound good but the price is out of my range, even with a uniform allowance. Anybody tried any Rocky's and had a positive experience?
I used Rocky's over Danners because the toe box of the Danners was too narrow, even in the wider widths.

First time I had to go back to Rocky for customer service, it sucked, same story second time, so I dropped them.

Right now, I have Bellevilles and Wellcos, and am pretty happy.

Just bought a set of the new Desert ICB boots (Gore-Tex lined) at the local Combat Footgear store on Reilly Rd., they were overruns and cost me $70 for a pair and are perfect.

Are you looking for indoor boots, field boots, assault boots, what?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

Old 03-19-2005, 20:22   #80
MAB32

TR,

I am hoping to find the "perfect" duty boot for "all-seasons" but I don't believe that is realistic. I would like to have one that would be lightweight, like the Hi-Tec, and have Gore-tex or the European version, whatever they call it. Also, I need a sole that won't clog everytime I cross a stream, mud, and/or snow.

Think this will work?

Wellco's black Jungle Boot. Different socks like the Seal Skins could keep me going from early spring to late fall, then when the snow flies grab a pair of Danners(Ft Lewis, etc., etc.)(?). I could wear regular cotton socks in the summer.

Also, is it my imagination that when Gore-Tex gets muddy/dirty it starts to loose some of it's water resistant. It seems like I lost some of it, if not most of it, with the Hi Tecs when in school.
Old 03-19-2005, 20:43   #81
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
TR,

I am hoping to find the "perfect" duty boot for "all-seasons" but I don't believe that is realistic. I would like to have one that would be lightweight, like the Hi-Tec, and have Gore-tex or the European version, whatever they call it. Also, I need a sole that won't clog everytime I cross a stream, mud, and/or snow.

Think this will work?

Wellco's black Jungle Boot. Different socks like the Seal Skins could keep me going from early spring to late fall, then when the snow flies grab a pair of Danners(Ft Lewis, etc., etc.)(?). I could wear regular cotton socks in the summer.

Also, is it my imagination that when Gore-Tex gets muddy/dirty it starts to loose some of it's water resistant. It seems like I lost some of it, if not most of it, with the Hi Tecs when in school.

For warm weather, I like the Wellco jungle boot, possibly with the TuffCushion sole. I also use the Ingenius boot socks.

For a winter boot, I like the new ICB, also with the Ingenius socks.

I was unaware that the Hi-Tecs had any Gore-Tex. I occasionally scrub the fabric part of my boots with soap and water.

The thing to remember is that if it is raining and the water is running down your legs or you step into water over the top of your boot, it is basically a bag of water around your foot. Dump them ASAP and invert them while you don dry socks.

Good luck.

TR

Old 03-19-2005, 21:07   #82
Leozinho
Quiet Professional

I've been enjoying my Bates 924's. (I did a search and now they appear to be called Bates Durashocks 8" Tropical). This boot is/was issued to some Navy folks.

Much softer and cushier than Wellco Tuffkushions, and they needed practically no break-in time. I wish the tread was more aggressive, though.

Of course, these aren't normally authorized at SWC. But the first pre-SFAS 18x-ray to PM me gets my proven method guaranteed to let you be allowed to wear these high-speed/low-drag boots.
Leozinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 23:02   #83
MAB32

TR,

Ya, it is the European brand of Gore-Tex. I think it is called Sympatex or something to that and only offered in their "waterproof" line of boots.

You hit the nail right on the head when it comes to water over the boot, especially boots with Gore-tex and similar materials. No drain holes there. This discussion just reminded me of the old days when we use to put plastic bags over our feet before putting our buckle up boots on in the winter.

I remember David (TTOS) was wearing a pair of Courtney boots. I guess he had a few pairs leftover from his Selous Scout days.

http://www.westleyrichards.com/show/...ct_selous.html
Old 10-27-2005, 11:52   #84
oorah4jc
Asset

anyone have any experience with the converse boots?
Old 10-27-2005, 15:18   #85
Tetrian
Asset

Meindl, noone mentioned them yet?

Been Using Meindl performance here, good boot imo.

Been using a pair for fairly heavy use for close to a year now, still holding up like a charm, good fit, and very good ankle support to top it off.

Only downside ive come across so far has been them holding on to a little sweat, seems like they arent ventilating too well, but then again, I've been using them in summertimes aswell(its really a winter boot), so that adds up too - of course could just be me having extraordinarily sweaty feet - maybe for some, the weight could be a bit of an issue aswell.

First boot i had where i didnt have any second thoughts with crossing a small stream og stepping in water, havent had wet feet due to an outside source yet, despite of heavy rain, stream crossings and so on.... mind you, not counting over the top depths, gaitors helped with that though
Tetrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 15:32   #86
CombatWombat
Quiet Professional

Believe it or not, I like the issued Bellevilles. Suck once they get wet and they're heavy but they have survived thus far without having any problems.
CombatWombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 17:39   #87
kgoerz
Quiet Professional

Favorite boots

Just got a pair of the Bates M-9 desert Assault boots (Found these at Diamond Backs web page) With the Vibram sole. Very comfortable. Been wearing them for two months and have had no problems. At $92.00 that’s a good price considering the over priced boots out there today. Didn't think I would ever see people paying over $250.00 for a pair of boots because of a certain Sunglass symbol on the side of them. Oakley Boots are good but there are others just as good for far less money. I was lucky to get my Oakley Boots issued while still in the army. North Face also makes some good quality boots when it comes to being water resistant but also pricy.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:02   #88
SERPENT5XX
Quiet Professional

Gentlemen,

My experience with Oakley Boots was a bit disappointing.

I bought a pair for my second Iraq rotation. I found them very hot and extremely slippery on the wet marble floors that are so prevalent in the Iraqi palaces, homes ect. Also the squeaky noise they make when walking on dry marble was a problem. The collar of the boot began to wear through from the boot tongue rubbing on it from walking. By the time I left 7 months later they were pretty well shot. I do not know if I just have weird feet or what but I was really disappointed. The cool-guy factor is high but I was not impressed with performance at all. These boots now sit in my basement and I use them for mowing the grass until I can find someone who wants a pair of free, fairly worn-out grass stained size 14 Oakley desert boots.

I also had a pair of Thorogood SEB boots that I wore on an every other day rotation with the Oakleys. I found the boots comfortable and durable. Much better traction under the above conditions and much cooler. I still wear the boots now. In fact I bought another pair. They are an unusual OD color but once they have a coat of dust on them they will pass a casual SGM uniform inspection.

My first Iraq rotation I wore Raichle and LOWA boots during the initial invasion as it was somewhat cool at that point. Once it started to heat up these boots were a bit hot. I then changed to an issue desert boot that had been modified by Bootmasters and they worked well. Bottom line, come August in Iraq- all boots are HOT! Change your socks often.

If someone has experince with a better and cooler summer boot for Iraq please let me know!

I would have to say my new favorite desert boot is now the Thorogood SEB boots. For cooler weather I love the Raichle and LOWA boots. If you want a great non-military looking boot, the Montrail Torre GTX are top notch. They take a little longer to break in than I thought they would but once they are broken in they are super comfortable. I have three pairs that I use for different purposes based on how much wear they have on them (My wife claims they do not qualify as dress shoes but I disagree).

Thanks,

SERPENT5XX
SERPENT5XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 21:12   #89
Spook
Asset

I've been using the same pair of Danner (RECON 8") boots since I bought them in '97. VERY STURDY! They've seen miles in the desert and under triple canopy. Some people say they're a bit heavy, but I've never found that to be an issue. I tell those lazy bastards to just pick up their feet when they hump and suck it up!
Spook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 21:25   #90
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Spook:

You need to look around and introduce yourself in the proper place before you post here.

Your creds don't seem to reflect any military service to base your opinion on either.

TR