Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > 18C

Old 02-26-2011, 18:07   #1
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

property book accountability

Well I know they have started to bring this back into the SFQC MOS for 18Cs. But I'm starting this becuse I'm hoping there are a few old 92Ys or even a 92As out here.

Looking to tell new and old 18Cs what is needed for a ODA property book and it's accountability.

I feel 18Cs are to use to the statement, "you'll learn about that when you get to your ODA". But when property book accountability and ODA supply is, lets go easy, 70% of your Job both CONUS and OCONUS. Go forbid if your going on a JCET to a "NEW" Country or a Deployment and have to stand up a PBO. Do you 18 Charlies know how to do this?? Can any of you Old 92Ys answer this? Any 18 Charlies want to part some pearls of wisdom.

What makes a Good ODA property book?

Maybe, how is it set up. Do you have one large 3 or 4 inch binder or a couple of 2 inchers? Do you use one 3 inch for everything, and then had 1 inchers for each ODA section and then one for ODA "Team" Equipment signed out to individuals? What makes your property book GOOD?

What does a DA 2062 cover? How do you use it? How long are they good for?

What is a DA 3161 used for? How long are they good for?

Will a piece of blank paper with someones signature and a piece of equipment and maybe a date stand up in a 15-6 investigation?

Lets do these above for starters.......

I would like to get it from a 92Y first off on the DA forms... but do chine in please on your ODA PBO books.

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 00:42   #2
caveman
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGoat View Post
I feel 18Cs are to use to the statement, "you'll learn about that when you get to your ODA". But when property book accountability and ODA supply is, lets go easy, 70% of your Job both CONUS and OCONUS. Go forbid if your going on a JCET to a "NEW" Country or a Deployment and have to stand up a PBO. Do you 18 Charlies know how to do this?? Can any of you Old 92Ys answer this? Any 18 Charlies want to part some pearls of wisdom.
I'll admit, when I filled out my volunteer statement with 18C in the top slot I thought I was going to be spending most of my time (in the off chance I am selected and earn a long tab) building things and then blowing them up.

This may not be the place to ask, but your post inspired a question, is there a standard breakdown as to which MOS's hold which additional duties?
Old 02-27-2011, 02:07   #3
exsquid
Quiet Professional

"Hey, I'm a demo guy. Support guys build shit & do paper work."

Seriously, even though it is the CPT's name on the dotted line, I am the one w/ egg on my face if the PB is messed up. My PB is in Excel w/ tabs for each MOS. Stay/Go list is also in Excel. When I travel, I hand carry a binder w/ a hard copy of the PB and all 1750s plus a thumb drive w/ them on digits. Additionally I keep a few blank 2062s and 1750 on hand for contingencies.

As for answers to your questions, I do not know but suppose I need to go find out.

x/S
Old 02-27-2011, 02:16   #4
head
Quiet Professional

On my last team, we had an access database with every piece of equipment on the team listed, even the stuff not on the property book, along with columns for who is signed it, where it was located, "Stay/Go" checkbox. It would generate stay/go and packing lists from that. Made it very easy as long as guys updated the database.

Of course that was in addition to the hardcopy Property Book, and subhandreceipts.

One thing that I'd recommend is taking photos of every item and adding that to the database or spreadsheet by line item/ NSN / serial number.

Also, the 18C has the master property book, but each section should also maintain copies of their paperwork/2062s/turn-in docs.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:44   #5
hotshot
Quiet Professional

PB

This is a great thread for up and coming 18C. A few good TTPs have already been put out, I'll add how I did it.

ODA Property Book (3in Binder)
-Copy of CPT's signed hand receipt
-Copy of MOS Break-down (Excel)
-Sub-Hand Receipts delegating equipment from the CPT to respective individual in that MOS (DA 2062)
-Then Density List of Team Equipment not on Property Book ie.(Craftsman tool kits, Cat 5 cable splicing kit, Concealed carry holsters) (Excel)
-Sub-Hand Receipts delegating team equipment to Individual (2062)
-Copies of all Turn-in Docs / Maintenance Docs
-Copies of shortage annexes (2062)
-2062s of Equipment signed out

Sub Component Book (1in Binder)
-A copy of all sub component hand receipts kept in the order that they appear on the HR
-Copy of Team HR

Load out Binder (1in Binder)
-I had each MOS make a word doc, basically using the 1750 format and write what had in each Contico Box.
-We used various ISU 90's along with the Teamroom to store equipment
this binder had where the equipment was located. ie (SKEDCO, Box D1, ISU 2-SN XXXX)

I also used a numbering system for the contico boxes, Personal and Professional. My guys were pissed when I showed up with black spray paint and paint markers and made them re-do their boxes with their names and graffiti all over them, but it paid off later on. Doing this allowed me to account for each box that was being palletized, that way I could give my TMSGT an UP without having to do another layout because each box was sealed after the final layout.

Before a deployment.
I would hand each MOS a copy of the Team HR. They would highlight anything that was a (STAY). I would take that info, review it, have the TMSGT review it. (Guys will try to leave shit behind that they need) Once he blessed off on it, I would put it on excel as the team density list. Using this info I would make the stay behind HR. Meanwhile, The MOS's would be making their 1750s.

I made a deployable version of the Team Property book with a tri-fold folder.
-Copy of CPT's hand receipt
-Copy of Stay behind hand receipt
-Copy of Density List
-Copies of all 1750s
-All Hazmat Documentation
-All Shipping Documentation
-Ammo Break down
-Blank 1750s/2062s

This version i would carry in my "C" Back pack, along with extra locks, a small set of lock cutters, paint markers, with a few other random things I thought that I would need.

This is all I can think of right now. I know it seems like a lot. However, after all the leg work is done, this system runs smoothly and requires minimal upkeep. I kept everything I could on digits, I hate re-creating the wheel. Keeping good books makes you look like a superstar, when your CPT calls you and you are OCONUS in a school, asking about a piece of equipment. I just told him to look in my Engineer/PBO Book and flip to the "Equipment signed out" Tab, and WALA.

This is all for now.

CH

Last edited by hotshot; 02-27-2011 at 12:43. Reason: To fix errors, I typed this before consuming caffiene ;)
hotshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:52   #6
Richard
Quiet Professional

I always had the Medics share that responsibility with the Engineers - more eyes reviewing the PB and supply requests led to fewer errors and, because the Medics used the supply system on a nearly continuous basis, they were equally adept at understanding it. It also gave me 2 capable people for managing our equipment and supplies when operating in a split-team mode vs relying solely upon 1 man.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:48   #7
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

HEAD - I used a similar program, well same program ACCESS. Worked great for me. I had my 18E, Computer geek build it for me. But once I left 10th and ended up in 3rd I could remember after my SWC time on how to change the Headers for the word documents and excell sheet that you could print out. It worked alot like your, you clicked on a box for each item on a master "sheet" and told it what box to go into and them you could print out a Box sheet for each box and a "stay-Go" word document with ODA header and CPTs signature Block to sign it. We were not a well liked ODA for one deployment.

HOTSHOT - Great POST!!! Totally forgot the 1750s, nice add on!!

18C - if your new to an ODA or just never had that "real" senior. HOTSHOTs is a great "standard". But every Group and Company, let alone ODA will have what they want. If your TS is a former 18C, you may have to do it his "way". Learn to deal with changes. Most ODA leadership care that you account for the ODAs equipment and know what is coming and going out of the Team Room.

Everything is electronic now - so keep that hardcopy Property Book, and sub-handreceipts in a deployment binder with one left behind in the locker in your Team Room.

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
Old 02-27-2011, 12:40   #8
CloseDanger
Guerrilla

Make sure you don't have a 15-6 Investigation.

Quote:
Will a piece of blank paper with someones signature and a piece of equipment and maybe a date stand up in a 15-6 investigation?
I could preach for days about this stuff. A hand receipt (2062) does nicely, but getting the commanders permission to shake down the company, platoon, squad, or team that had lost a sensitive item saves a lot of pain on an OER. Ensure proper storage space and means. Grab a copy of the MTOE and the property book so you can track fielding (3161) of equipment and what may need to be turned in (1348-1) - it really helps with planning and ordering expendables to run them. Find the tactical items you will need on a deployment by tracking past requisitions and your new incoming equipment and make sure the orders (2062) are prepared before the ball drops.
Watch the operations cell like a Hawk - no planning without that. You rarely have to "stand up" to a PBO - thats what signature cards are for.

Must read - DA PAM 710-2-1,2 and AR 735-5. Helps to read 15-6 too because most officers become investigating officers in their term.

It costs alot of money and time to charge for equipment, it is just not efficient to do 362's, and you know an Officer will get hit with an investigation if you do a report of survey - they have a time hack. Its easier just to look for the item or make friends with a contractor
CloseDanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 12:55   #9
hotshot
Quiet Professional

Addition

Richard, I like the Medic idea. Just question weather or not its possible to get one to work that hard

One more thing to add is that, for the MOS's of B and E. These 2 would maintain a binder as well with their MOS Items. To make things more streamlined, I came up with an individual HR with all items assigned to the individual, Guns, Kit, Commo, etc.... This made it easier to control. The B's and E's would keep copies of MOS related documentation, due to over half of the Teams Equipment was Guns and Commo. However, it was understood that a copy MUST be put into MY Engineer Book or into my INBOX. As the Engineer you must know the state of all equipment at all times.

Despite the workload, I truly enjoyed being an 18C. So for all of you up and coming guys, don't let being the "supply" guy discourage you. It will pay dividends being the "go to" guy. IF you're good at it

CH
Old 02-27-2011, 13:22   #10
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
...don't let being the "supply" guy discourage you. It will pay dividends being the "go to" guy. IF you're good at it.
Don't forget - Bob Howard ran the supply room for CCC for awhile - you guys are following in some BIG shoes.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 14:12   #11
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

I just love this time of year. New Company Commanders and COR going on. I really love when a New MAJ takes over and during inventories think that Shortage annex are the fix all. How ODAs have had to burn the midnight oils for your ODAs Shortage 2062's? But has anyone really had their Supply SGT finial update the COmpany PBUS-E (Property Book Unit Supply - Enhanced) let anlone the Shortage items for every Company.

I will even go out and say even for any Military Unit using PBUS-E (Property Book Unit Supply - Enhanced).

This is even a better idea for the units getting ready to deploy down range. DO you update your 2062's that will never get updated within PBUS-E or do that DSOR that will never get filled?

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Old 05-13-2011, 15:01   #12
Shadow1911
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotshot View Post
Richard, I like the Medic idea. Just question weather or not its possible to get one to work that hard
Ouch... I resemble that remark.
"Unless you do your best, the day will come when, tired and hungry, you will halt just short of the goal you were ordered to reach, and by halting you will make useless the efforts and deaths of thousands." - Gen. George S. Patton
Shadow1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 15:13   #13
hotshot
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I just love this time of year. New Company Commanders and COR going on. I really love when a New MAJ takes over and during inventories think that Shortage annex are the fix all. How ODAs have had to burn the midnight oils for your ODAs Shortage 2062's? But has anyone really had their Supply SGT finial update the COmpany PBUS-E (Property Book Unit Supply - Enhanced) let anlone the Shortage items for every Company.

I will even go out and say even for any Military Unit using PBUS-E (Property Book Unit Supply - Enhanced).

This is even a better idea for the units getting ready to deploy down range. DO you update your 2062's that will never get updated within PBUS-E or do that DSOR that will never get filled?
Generally speaking, we kept Shortage Annexes on hand at all times. This made inventories run easier. I have not seen any shortages filled though the Suppy system, however.

One time, we were deploying and could not get replacement dewalt batteries for our dewalt kit. They were listed on the BN "Do NOT buy list". I bought 4 from homedepot, and was reembursed through Team Fund. I never understood how we could buy 5000 dollars in SSSC that we didn't need, but could not spend 200 dollars on batteries that we NEEDED.

Back to the Last question. When I was the SR ENG,I always maintained updated Shortage annexes despite the issues we had with getting them filled. I made sure the team had what it needed, and that's what mattered to me. We didn't always have time to wait on the army.

CH
Old 05-13-2011, 15:15   #14
hotshot
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow1911 View Post
[Ouch... I resemble that remark.
There is no doubt in my mind
Old 05-13-2011, 20:22   #15
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Generally speaking, we kept Shortage Annexes on hand at all times. This made inventories run easier. I have not seen any shortages filled though the Suppy system, however.

One time, we were deploying and could not get replacement dewalt batteries for our dewalt kit. They were listed on the BN "Do NOT buy list". I bought 4 from homedepot, and was reembursed through Team Fund. I never understood how we could buy 5000 dollars in SSSC that we didn't need, but could not spend 200 dollars on batteries that we NEEDED.

Back to the Last question. When I was the SR ENG,I always maintained updated Shortage annexes despite the issues we had with getting them filled. I made sure the team had what it needed, and that's what mattered to me. We didn't always have time to wait on the army.

CH

Far as I know, maybe a 92 MOS can fill us in, those Short annexes should be updated within PBUS-E so your shortages can be ordered though the military supply system.

Yeah I really hate the USASOC "Do NOT buy list" for things you have that are COTS and you can't get replacement parts. COTS replacement batteries is a GREAT Exampe of the broken system. Most "Do NOT buy list" items are because military people have abused the system. USASOC list is made up from these problems.

Quote:
I made sure the team had what it needed, and that's what mattered to me.
Yeap got to take care of business!!

One thing I hate about USASFC and USASOC DSOR process is one Group can get something approved off their DSOR while another can't get the same approved list. We test these water by taking another Groups approved DSOR for their OEF trip and submitted it as our ODA with all their CTA remarks and approvals and added about 50 new items across the broad. More that half was not approve within our Group to USASFC.

I really hate the way CA and MISO teams will have stuff down range on a OEF/OIF trip that both units DSOR went up at the same time but their went to USACAPOC. SFODAs do get items that CAT and MIST have.

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Last edited by MtnGoat; 05-13-2011 at 20:24.