Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 05-03-2010, 16:41   #1
HisDisciple
Asset

Holster for running

All the recruits for SOF from our district train on these mountains until they ship out and I want to do the same, I have done it before, but I like the idea of a sidearm because of rattlers. It is not uncommon to see at least 2-3 on a single trip up and down. Open carry is allowed here in Washington.

Tool:I have a Glock 17 that I would like to carry on me (until I can get a man's caliber, HK45C)

Need: Some type of load vest or holster that I can have full range of motion with that I can feel comfortable running a 5:45 mile pace for 2-3 miles.

I would imagine it being in the center of my chest somehow attached to a vest.
I have looked at Eagle Industries stuff, Safariland, Black Hawk, and others, but what do the QP recommend? Whats your armed woods/hills/running loadout?

Oh, the Castle Rock pic is never that green until winter, it looks more like the grand canyon, but with 100+ heat, dust, and wind.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SaddleRock.jpg (145.3 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg SaddleRock2.jpg (133.1 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg CastleRock.jpg (168.4 KB, 95 views)

"I love hearing people talk about "thinking outside the box." It seems those who talk the most are those who cant manage to think inside the box, attempting to use it as a defense for poorly thought out ideas/decisions..."
-Surgicalcric

"Not with the blood of goats and calves, but with His own blood He entered the Most Holy Place once for all, having obtained eternal redemption."
-Hebrews 9:12
HisDisciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 16:45   #2
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Quote:
recruits for SOF
What's this????
Old 05-03-2010, 16:59   #3
HisDisciple
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonieDiver View Post
What's this????
Sorry, I should have explained this better. Young men who sign on and try to get certain contracts in our recruting area, like 18X Rays, SEAL Contracts, PJ Contracts.

But its mostly SEAL canidates who are in Navy DEP.

The mountains are part of the Cascade Range in Eastern Washington, surrounding Wenatchee, WA.

"I love hearing people talk about "thinking outside the box." It seems those who talk the most are those who cant manage to think inside the box, attempting to use it as a defense for poorly thought out ideas/decisions..."
-Surgicalcric

"Not with the blood of goats and calves, but with His own blood He entered the Most Holy Place once for all, having obtained eternal redemption."

Last edited by HisDisciple; 05-03-2010 at 20:20. Reason: Adding Mt. Location
Old 05-03-2010, 17:15   #4
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Thanks!
Old 05-04-2010, 09:24   #5
Buffalobob
Quiet Professional

If the snake is courteous enough to make some noise and not bite you then you should be courteous enough to do like wise. Exactly how do you think you are going to fare on night patrol with the water moccasins, copperheads and rattle snakes at Benning and Bragg. How do you think your TACs are going to look upon your whining about some poor snake who is only looking for a mouse or toad frog and you wanting to be armed because you are afraid of snakes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rattler1.jpg (121.7 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg rattler6.jpg (119.2 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg watersnakec.jpg (103.3 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg Wyomingrattler.jpg (211.6 KB, 119 views)

SFA M-9545
Buffalobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:40   #6
Destrier
Quiet Professional

hmm, all I thought he really wanted to accomplish was to impress with "2-3 miles running at 5:45 pace"

faster than a snake maybe

There are a variety of concealed carry butt packs as well that some carry a water bottle as well.
Enlightenment comes with age. In SF we cannot wait for aged enlightenment to be successful. We need to be successful now. This means hunt out education, seek advice from experts, become an expert, and never stop learning. Never let your ego keep you from asking questions! Pass on your knowledge! (Pistol Pete)
Destrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:16   #7
caveman
Guerrilla

Don't kill it unless you intend to eat it...that's the rule. Rattler is tasty if you know how to cook it though.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:24   #8
BrainStorm
Guerrilla

I've run with an M&P 45fs in a SmartCarry holster with great comfort. The weight is centered on your frame so no torque is induced. The downside is that it does not provide very fast access. Then again, I don't run where I see snakes.

If you decide to try one, buy it from their web site as Charlie will give you 60 days to evaluate it if you buy it from him instead of a distributor.
BrainStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 15:31   #9
HisDisciple
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalobob View Post
If the snake is courteous enough to make some noise and not bite you then you should be courteous enough to do like wise. Exactly how do you think you are going to fare on night patrol with the water moccasins, copperheads and rattle snakes at Benning and Bragg. How do you think your TACs are going to look upon your whining about some poor snake who is only looking for a mouse or toad frog and you wanting to be armed because you are afraid of snakes.
You are right. I have no fear of snakes. I have a generous respect for them. I have always found them at my feet when I wasn't looking for them though. While hunting them I could never seem to find them. You are right again-I guess it is really not a strong argument to carry a weapon though.

There are so many around here that If I killed one, I would plan on eating it and making things from it's skin. I don't believe in sport killing, unless its bowshooting carp.

Destrier-that is a fast pace, and sometimes I go that pace, but I normally don't jog that fast on hills; usually around 6:10-20. I used to be slower until I discovered POSE running.

Brainstorm- Looks good. I will have to try that. There is a 10mile loop around my city and the Columbia River and people are always on that. It can get sketchy at night.

-Surgicalcric

Old 05-04-2010, 17:24   #10
BrainStorm
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisDisciple View Post
Brainstorm- Looks good. I will have to try that. There is a 10mile loop around my city and the Columbia River and people are always on that. It can get sketchy at night.
I should mention that the 45fs is my primary. I also carry a BUG in 380. It's in my front pants pocket. If the threat is up-close-and-personal, the 380 is more likely to be first to the party. Some go with the 380 only for their run, but I always like a Plan B. Another part of the Plan B thinking, the SmartCarry holds a spare magazine for both the 45 and the 380. I'm told by an S&W armorer and consultant that of all the parts of the handgun system, the magazine is the most likely to fail.

Best of luck on your future plans.
BrainStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:22   #11
Buffalobob
Quiet Professional

Quote:
ou are right. I have no fear of snakes. I have a generous respect for them. I have always found them at my feet when I wasn't looking for them though. While hunting them I could never seem to find them. You are right again-I guess it is really not a strong argument to carry a weapon though.
When I was your age I pretty much killed anything and everything I came across. As I learned more I killed less. Its not a crime to be young.

SFA M-9545
Buffalobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:05   #12
DJ Urbanovsky
Guerrilla Chief

That's some wisdom right there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalobob View Post
When I was your age I pretty much killed anything and everything I came across. As I learned more I killed less. Its not a crime to be young.
DJ Urbanovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:29   #13
SF18C
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destrier View Post
hmm, all I thought he really wanted to accomplish was to impress with "2-3 miles running at 5:45 pace"

faster than a snake maybe

There are a variety of concealed carry butt packs as well that some carry a water bottle as well.
Or as my Team Daddy Stan use to say, “Running breeds cowardice, now go to the gym and lift heavy stuff!”

But I think that was a poorly disguised leadership technique, in reality he didn’t want anyone on the team faster than him!
"De Oppresso Liber"

Nomination for PS.com Quote of the Decade!
SF18C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:36   #14
akv
Area Commander

Quote:
" They say there are 100 kinds of snakes over there (Vietnam). 99 are poisonous."

"And the other one?"

"Oh, that one eats your ass whole." - from Tom Clancy's Without Remorse
IIRC the only snake a man cannot easily outrun is a Black Mamba which isn't indigenous to North America, unless a few escaped after Katrina...
"Men Wanted: for Hazardous Journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honour and recognition in case of success.” -Sir Ernest Shackleton

“A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.” –Greek proverb

Last edited by akv; 05-05-2010 at 11:50.
akv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:57   #15
Irishsquid
Guerrilla

There are probably a few others, especially in that same AOR...but mambas sure as hell are quick, especially for such a big snake.
Irishsquid is offline   Reply With Quote