Old 12-28-2008, 21:03   #1
quietstorm3155
Asset

Ear Protection.

I have a friend that uses hearing protection that looks similar to "hearing aides." I think it is digital hearing protection. He says he was fitted for his. Has anyone used this style and what do you think about it? Worth the money? I am looking to by a new set of ear protection for Ops and the range!
quietstorm3155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 21:27   #2
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

The Search button is your friend.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 18:11   #3
Intel_Airman
Guerrilla

Surefire makes some that look like hearing aids and can be had for about 15 bucks. I have some and they are the best ear pro I have ever used, they stay in place and are very comfortable. If you would like to spend more you can purchase their electronic ones that are somewhere around 1000 bucks. That's a little out of my price range for ear pro. http://www.surefire.com/HearingProtectionEnhancement
Old 02-27-2009, 02:06   #4
quietstorm3155
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intel_Airman View Post
Surefire makes some that look like hearing aids and can be had for about 15 bucks. I have some and they are the best ear pro I have ever used, they stay in place and are very comfortable. If you would like to spend more you can purchase their electronic ones that are somewhere around 1000 bucks. That's a little out of my price range for ear pro. http://www.surefire.com/HearingProtectionEnhancement
I had ordered the Surefire's prior to your post, after seeing good reviews on another forum. I have two sets, and they are the best bang for the buck. I have only good things to say about the surefire ear pro. RECOMMENDED!
quietstorm3155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 11:07   #5
cbkb98
Asset

Ear Pro

I've used the surefires at home and abroad many times and they KICK ASS. Just gotta remember to keep em clean so you don't get an ear infection. Fortunately someone ordered a buttload of em for the whole PLT, I believe they have an NSN somewhere.
cbkb98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 07:12   #6
Utah Bob
Quiet Professional

19db noise reduction on the Sure Fire isn't that great. Cheap foam throw-aways will give you over 30.
Lazy Bob Ranch
Utah Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:20   #7
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Whatever you use make sure you USE it. Once it's gone it's gone. And on the PULHES scale a 3 or worse in the H column is practically looked at as a self-inflicted wound by promotion and retention boards.
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:55   #8
kawika
Auxiliary

Surefires are ok. But like someone just mentioned, the Db reduction isnt good at all. I had some in when I fired the gustav a few times(12) a little over a year ago and I still have some hearing damage from that.

I use the ones the army issues now, the ones with a green and yellow side. You can use the yellow side at the range and it has a flange that bypasses regular sounds and still reduces gunshot type noises until you can flip it over to the green side to block at 30db
kawika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 16:25   #9
archade
Asset

We we're given ear protection from this company http://www.interson-protac.com/ (this is a french website - feel free to ask anything) the average price for this kind of item is between 60 and 150 €. You can hear or listen to as you don't wear anything but it will stop the bad noise (same as PELTOR system).
Very useful in patrol and for the commo, you aren't disturded by surrounding noises.
Those protections are made for your ear with a special foam. You can add your wire for your commo device (very useful in CPT mission's).

Ear protections themselve can be made in silicone (soft one, highly recommended for long use) or hard material.

you ve got several companies : another one
http://www.cotral.com/ (this is a french website - feel free to ask anything)

My item has been used for five years now from the range to the field and in ops (from Afghanistan to Africa). With a good cleaning kit, no need to worry about the PULHES scale

The only caution to use is to avoid to be near an armor who is firing a Armor-Piercing Fin-Stabilized Discarding Sabot. IMO the best is to wear another classic ear protection with this one.

My €.02

"We are the only country the order to make alot with nothing can be given without laughing "

Last edited by archade; 08-10-2009 at 08:04.
archade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 17:26   #10
Leozinho
Quiet Professional

I double plug (soft inserts plus muffs) on the range now.

(You may find it improves your shooting, too.)
Leozinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 19:21   #11
Mitch
Quiet Professional

Your Location

Quote:
Originally Posted by archade View Post
you ve got several companies : another one
http://www.cotral.com/

My €.02

After checking that web site and noticing the "French" language, I assumed you to be from Fance, but your Location states:

Quote:
That answer is a Time or Condition - not a place.

It is ok to be vague I suppose. You could just put down Europe, Mr. Archade, if you don't want to put down France.

Last edited by Mitch; 08-09-2009 at 19:37.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 20:36   #12
HowardCohodas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leozinho View Post
I double plug (soft inserts plus muffs) on the range now.

(You may find it improves your shooting, too.)
I read somewhere recently (can't find the reference at the moment) that this type of double protection is under consideration to become a standard.

For those who are unexpectedly exposed to load noise there may be methods that prevent NIHL (Noise Induced Hearing Loss) according to some research going on at the NIH. As a result of the preliminary results of these studies I EDC aspirin and Vitamin E. Noise-Induced Hearing Loss
Old 09-11-2009, 21:01   #13
english kanigit
Asset

Another common argument for doubling up on earpro is that it can mitigate the possibility of hearing loss through bone conduction. I am reading more about this myself due to the heavy equipment that I work around and working at an indoor shooting range in the past.

This thread prompted me to do some digging and reading:

Hearing Protector Performance

Attenuation of Earplugs In Conjunction With Earmuffs

What sort of information have you folks come across in regards to hearing loss through bone conduction?

Ek
Personally, I'm interested in keeping other people from building Utopia, because the more you believe you can create heaven on earth the more likely you are to set up guillotines in the public square to hasten the process. -- James Lileks
english kanigit is offline   Reply With Quote