Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Base Camp

Old 04-04-2013, 07:04   #31
Beef
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by longrange1947 View Post
No, that was a CEWI (cannot remember if that is correct, Richard?) I jumped in with beer and ice while at 10th in '69.
CEWI bag.... The only one I jumped was in Jumpmaster School. All it had in it was an empty wooden105 crate. I pulled the red ball at the top at treetop level and only one side released. Apparently the convulsions of my unsucessful attempt caused me to oscillate. A good thing for once, though. It made for a feet/butt/back landing and it just banged my kneecaps. Beer and ice would have probably sucked. Plus, walking off the DZ soaked in beer would have cost a lot of style points from an already lack-luster landing!
Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:06   #32
Beef
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by jntobin View Post
CEWI is one of the many things in life that I wish I had not met, I had to jump on e in jumpmaster school, when I hit the red ball, as it deployed it dang near removed my knee caps.
Great minds think alike! Simultaneous posts of mutual bad experiences!
Old 04-04-2013, 07:09   #33
Richard
Quiet Professional

Those last few posts are a good example of how stuff gets started in the blogosphere and then becomes difficult to correct or stop.

https://rdl.train.army.mil/catalog/v....220/gloss.htm

And so it goes...

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:02   #34
Beef
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Those last few posts are a good example of how stuff gets started in the blogosphere and then becomes difficult to correct or stop.

And so it goes...

Richard
Ha, Richard! You career educators, like my Mama (retired English teacher) never give any of us a pass! You surely must realize that a lot of us are not only Special Forces, but Special Ed, too. Or at least getting a "crazy check." But, as a frequent flyer of your red pencil, I must say thanks for keeping us straight!
Old 04-04-2013, 08:44   #35
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

Quote:

And so it goes...

Richard
Sorry Richard, I started it because I could not remember the acronym for the weapons container.

GUYS CWIE!!!!

Most are too young to remember that damn thing, always lift with your legs before releasing or a hang is a very real possibility. At least my Tm Daddy warned me of that before he had me jump it. MSG Draught (sp?), the Team Daddy and another had packed the damn thing and then told me I was jumping it, yep newbbie. Didn't weigh bad and we were met on the DZ by "civilian underground" and transported to ur base camp.

Rick B.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing it is great on a hamburger but not so great sticking one up your ass.

Author - Richard.

Experience is what you get right after you need it.

Author unknown.
longrange1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:47   #36
jntobin
Quiet Professional - RIP

Richard, I don't know if you are referring to my post, but should you be, I have never claimed to be anything except a poor dumb Irish kid, so in an informal atmosphere, I write as I speak, if it offends you, sorry, use the delete key, or ignore.

How telling a CWEI bag story could be exploited on the blogosphere is slightly beyond my ken, but who knows. possibly an expose` on an obsolete piece of equipment, testimony before Congress on the danger of the "red ball express", a public outcry for background checks on anyone who every used a CEWI. I know something else they can blame on Nixon.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:04   #37
Richard
Quiet Professional

FWIW - I wasn't "offended" at all and only making a point - had everyone merely read on and saw my answer (Post #31) to LRs question (Post #30) before posting, it would not have been mentioned. It happens to us all every now and then as we get involved in conversations and debates using the Internet vs sitting around in a team room or bar or kitchen or such.

I only mentioned it as an example of how things in the Internet get started and, once started, whether innocently (as here) or purposefully, are hard to correct as they are passed around.

Something we should all remember when it comes to the blogosphere:

"If it's posted on the Internet, it must be true."
- Thomas Jefferson

And so it goes...

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Old 04-04-2013, 12:00   #38
Utah Bob
Quiet Professional

A friend of mine, who was a research biologist and spent time way up the Orinococ and Amazon, said that one of the favorite foods in that region was Cheez Whiz.
Everythine they would stop on the river, the Brazilian army security guards with them would break out a few bottles of what they called Chee-Wee and chow down.

CheeWee
Take that Blogosphere.

And I'm offended by the thought that Richard might be offended.
Lazy Bob Ranch
Utah Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:01   #39
Utah Bob
Quiet Professional

And now back toy your regular program...
Did I mention the Mountain Ruck sucks?
Lazy Bob Ranch
Utah Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:28   #40
Richard
Quiet Professional

Back to the mountain rucks - all this opining reminded me of my TM SGT on ODA-714. He was an old 10th and 8th Grouper, and always carried a mountain ruck...which he preferred over the jungle ruck.

Indig rucks sure weren't comfortable - but perhaps ruck preferences are more often a case of what you become accustomed to using and the reason(s) for using them than comfort.

Richard

Old 04-04-2013, 12:31   #41
mark46th
Quiet Professional

I have an indig ruck that was issued to the troopies we trained. My son used it until he got older. It even has some of that fine Southeast Asian red dirt on it. I had some guy offer me $100 for it at a gun show...
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:35   #42
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

Quote:

Indig rucks sure weren't comfortable - but perhaps ruck preferences are more often a case of what you become accustomed to using and the reason(s) for using them than comfort.

Richard
Richard, the old canvas or newer nylon Indig? The coated canvas one reminded me of a minature Mountain ruck.

Rick B.

Wisdom is knowing it is great on a hamburger but not so great sticking one up your ass.

Author - Richard.

Author unknown.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:44   #43
Richard
Quiet Professional

Canvas. One thing about them, once you spilled 'nam pla' in them, you'd never get that smell out.

Richard

Old 04-04-2013, 14:12   #44
VVVV

Quote:
Back to the mountain rucks - all this opining reminded me of my TM SGT on ODA-714. He was an old 10th and 8th Grouper, and always carried a mountain ruck...which he preferred over the jungle ruck.

Richard
Yep, many old timers carried the mountain ruck long after the Lightweight Tropical Rucksacks were issued. The jungle's aluminum frame was easily damaged (jumping) and it didn't hold as much. There was a mix of M-1942 and M-1952 mountain rucks in use.
Old 04-04-2013, 14:15   #45
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Canvas. One thing about them, once you spilled 'nam pla' in them, you'd never get that smell out.

Richard
Hell, I never got the smell out without spilling anything, to my knowledge, in them. Had both the canvas and nylon semi internal frame one until recently when I let a young trooper talk me out of them.

I used the nylon one in Panama for short missions.

Rick B.

Author - Richard.

Author unknown.