Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Base Camp

Old 03-14-2010, 19:31   #61
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Remember, SF was not hurting for bodies a lot of times and ran a lot of good guys out of SWC and sent them to division for years.
Granted I retired in 90, but I don't ever remember SF not hurting for people. Hell in 3/7 in the 70s and 80s we had 4 to 7 guys per team.

Only once in my career did I ever have full team. Now money cut backs would cause a wind down in classes but not because we had enough guys. If I remember correctly.

Rick B.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing it is great on a hamburger but not so great sticking one up your ass.

Author - Richard.

Experience is what you get right after you need it.

Author unknown.
longrange1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 20:45   #62
rltipton

Quote:
Originally Posted by longrange1947 View Post
Granted I retired in 90, but I don't ever remember SF not hurting for people. Hell in 3/7 in the 70s and 80s we had 4 to 7 guys per team.

Only once in my career did I ever have full team. Now money cut backs would cause a wind down in classes but not because we had enough guys. If I remember correctly.
I hear you, and there were only 8 guys on my first team when I got to 2/3 in March 93.

Even so they were recycling less than 10% of the guys who bombed the 18D course before trauma 3 and only about 25% of the others went on to another MOS. They sent the vast majority "world-wide assignment."

My class started with 82, had 120 at one point from recycles. When I got booted, 2 others got booted to and that reduced my class to 7 TOTAL 18D students who went on to Ft Bragg. I passed trauma 3 (300-F1) and failed with 3 weeks left and I got orders to report to the 82nd.

I did not sign into 82nd. I went straight to the SWTG CSM (Kraus at the time I think) and begged to get into anything they had a slot for.

There were only a dozen or so of us from the 82/120 who bombed the medic course and got to stay in the Q. Most of them got sent packing to Ft Hood, Ft Polk, and Ft Lewis. 6 of us were assigned to Bragg. 4 signed right into division and never came back to the Q course, 1 other guy did what I did and got back in.

It sure felt like we were hurting for bodies when I finally got to my first team, but SWC sure wasn't acting like it. Some GOOD dudes got sent packing and ended up very successful in the conventional Army regardless.
Old 04-05-2010, 20:32   #63
Mitch
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by rltipton View Post
Remember, SF was not hurting for bodies a lot of times and ran a lot of good guys out of SWC and sent them to division for years. There were also periods when they were completely unable to fill class seats and had to cancel and condense classes and had a surplus of students-in-wait hanging around for a class to start.

I am curious which class is considered as the official SFQC Class #1.

Be safe,
Randy

I know that I was out of training for 6 weeks after we finished the 05B course waiting for Phase 3 to start - not sure if that was because they were running too many clases or too few - that was spring of 69.

I only lasted one day at the slave market that time - they got me and Rodney T that first day and sent us - as I said earlier - to Mackall to build the - up until that time - non existant Obstacle Course
Old 04-06-2010, 04:59   #64
Pete
Quiet Professional

The 6th team?

Quote:
Originally Posted by longrange1947 View Post
.......... Hell in 3/7 in the 70s and 80s we had 4 to 7 guys per team..................
Have you forgotten the time when they were going to cut one of the Groups but to save the HQs they cut the 6th team out of all the line companies.

Mad scramble for a real line number, excess people were sent off everywhere and the companies finally stablized.

Then when the 6th team came back the companies were immediately short on people.

Guys SCUBA (me) and HALO qualified could lean back and watch the scramble among the other three teams during the whole ordeal. It was not pretty.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 05:23   #65
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Have you forgotten the time when they were going to cut one of the Groups but to save the HQs they cut the 6th team out of all the line companies.

Mad scramble for a real line number, excess people were sent off everywhere and the companies finally stablized.
Oh yeah - circa 1980-81 - ODA726 was a SCUBA team - we remained intact but were redesignated ODA724 while the previous members of ODA724 were dispersed throughout the B/C Team - it was how MG Lutz kept the 7th SFG on the 'books' when the Army was looking to cut a Group.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 15:12   #66
Green Light
Quiet Professional

In 1983, they reactivated (temporarily) 716, 726, and 736 for TF Label Field. I was in 5th Group at the time. I showed up for PT one morning and my Tm Sgt said he'd gotten a phone call the previous night (late) saying that I'd been transfered (late that night) from 5th to 7th Gp. Everyone they could find in the 5th who had ever spoken Spanish (or eaten a taco) showed up with me that morning at HHC 7th Gp. The 1SG wasn't sure what the heck was going on but he got orders that afternoon.

Anyway, those teams were sent to Honduras for 6 months just north of the Nic border. They got all of the equipment for the 6th teams out of the warehouse and sent us packing. When we got back, the teams were inactivated and we were absorbed into the companies in 1/7.

After WOCS, I went to your old team 724. It was a wreck - team sergeant was an old HALO instructor and could only skydive. I stayed there for two years and went to Panama. Best move I ever made.

BG Lutz was still there IIRC. His dropping one team per company probably saved SF. Taking us to two A/C groups would have been our death sentence. Heck, when the WAG (RIP) got rid of 11th and 12th later on (1990s) it hurt us enough. Ya think we could use two more SF groups today?[/drift]

When I graduated SFQC in 77, we were SFQC 01-77. I would imagine the actual class one would be sometime back in the early 0s.

Last edited by Green Light; 04-06-2010 at 15:16. Reason: Got back on topic
Green Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 14:29   #67
cetheridge
Guerrilla

SFQC Class Number

My first post since joining...this thread seems like a good one to start with, since I too have been curious as to when class numbers were started. Thought I'd throw in my 2-cents worth. I went thru Phase I, Engineer Course (12B), and Phase III in 1968 and don't recall any SFQC class numbers at that time. At the end of PIII of the QC, 24 of us out of a class of about 150 received orders for the 8th Group, but first to Language (Spanish) School in Arlington. 40 years was quite some time ago and I don't remember everything ....hell, sometimes I can't remember what I did yesterday...need to take more Gingko.
cetheridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:11   #68
Combat Diver
Quiet Professional

I started the Q in Mar 84 and would have gradulated Jul that year but broke my leg on infil. Was on medical hold til two classes later and gradulated Nov 84. My PIII team picture had a class date on it but its long away from me at my mothers house. Did have a Jordanian officer on that team that eventully was the Jordanian SF Commander last I saw of him. The first thing I remember when I went across post to 1/5th was reporting to the CSM Joe "Smoking Joe" Dennison for my company assignment.

When I reported out to Robin Sage in summer of 06 as an instructor that's when we went from 6 classes to 8 a year under Parker. Just went and checked my records and class 03-06 was the last class for FY 06 that started the 8 a year. Next class was 01-07.

CD

Last edited by Combat Diver; 05-18-2010 at 11:01.
Combat Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:50   #69
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

I started Phase I in about June of '83. Bad Bob took us on our first ruck run. I was thinking-damn, this is gonna be a loooooooong school.

They gave me a chicken and dropped me off at the lake for Survival, and some kid saw a snake, popped his flare, and burned down my straw hooch the next afternoon.

I think that was the only time in 11 years wearing the beanie that I was in any kind of danger.
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 20:54   #70
Nick710
Quiet Professional

I graduated the Q-course in July, 1982. My diploma says Class 4-82. Major Howard was the Phase I commander. BG Lutz signed my diploma and I think it was Nick Rowe who spoke at our graduation.

Time really flys when you're having fun.
Nick710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 22:18   #71
dennisw
Area Commander

FWIW

The program from my son's graduation ceremony reads:

Graduates of Class 04-05

The 214th class

23 Nov 2005
Old 05-22-2010, 07:09   #72
Beretverde
Asset

PH1 1979...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2018commo View Post
I did phase one with 2-80, phase 3 with 3-80 due to code speed. 1-80 went out in late November, we went out in Feb. We called our selves the first easy class as CM had left for another outfit. I never met the man but his rep was bad assed, it was like the whole camp had exhaled. The TACs anounced the US beat the USSR (Hockey) on the loud speaker we thought it was psyops! I remember over twenty inches of snow at the end of phase 1, we ended up walking back to Mackall. We also had a guy struck by lightening in phase 3, he graduated but I heard he died later.
CM was the senior TAC and Kaiser was his assistant. So long ago! But I never forgot CM and the big words (wallocker banana) and hydroplaning. I can remember that, but not the class number! Class motto "I sold my kids, divorced my wife, I'll be a Special forces Soldier for the rest of my life. Ruckers make better fuckers!"
Beretverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 01:54   #73
Mitch
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by cetheridge View Post
...and Phase III in 1968 and don't recall any SFQC class numbers at that time. At the end of PIII of the QC, 24 of us out of a class of about 150 received orders for the 8th Group, but first to Language (Spanish) School in Arlington. 40 years was quite some time ago and I don't remember everything

....hell, sometimes I can't remember what I did yesterday...need to take more Gingko.
I hear you brother - what's worse, I now find that lots of stuff I remember. I've remembered wrong -somewhere over these 40 years a wire or two got crossed - hell, - that's damn frustrating.
Old 10-07-2010, 20:17   #74
122418b
Quiet Professional

Graduated April 89, Class 1-89. Nick Rowe had been assinated in the Phillipines shortly before our graduation IIRC.
122418b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:59   #75
CSB
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I wonder how I could find out my class number?
It should be on your orders.
(You do still have your orders, don't you?)
CSB is offline   Reply With Quote