Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Base Camp

Old 05-13-2004, 23:31   #61
Radar Rider
Guerrilla Chief

Fear of Heights

Fear of heights is not such a bad thing. It's one of those built in instincts that assist one in self preservation. Avoiding heights aids in avoiding long falls....

When it comes to Airborne operations, it can be overcome. I am still not a big fan of heights, and I've got 68 jumps (plus one off of the 250' tower). The weird part? I HATE the 34' foot tower, and would choose a night/combat equipment/mass tac jump with several hours of NOE over a single exit out of that damn tower!

I suppose it all has to do with confidence in one's self AND the equipment. Army parachutes are excellent, and most soldiers in the Airborne community are extremely cognizant of any dangers assosciated with Airborne operations. It's a great way of life.
Radar Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 23:41   #62
DanUCSB
Guerrilla

I had always heard that the 34ft. tower was chosen because of, through some weird facet of human nature, it's the highest you get before your brain stops measuring how high you are, and just lumps it all into, 'holy shit! we're way off the ground!' So that after 34ft, there's no sense in making it any taller.

Any truth to that, or is it just a rumor?
Old 05-14-2004, 02:58   #63
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by DanUCSB
I had always heard that the 34ft. tower was chosen because of, through some weird facet of human nature, it's the highest you get before your brain stops measuring how high you are, and just lumps it all into, 'holy shit! we're way off the ground!' So that after 34ft, there's no sense in making it any taller.

I can tell you its not true as far as I am concernced.

In my line of work I constantly find myself on things much higher than 34', 105' Aerial Platforms, hanging from ths side of a high-rise structure, cliff faces, etc... I am still scared crapless each and every time I am subjected to it. I am confident in my equipment, but that changes nothing.

Someone said it best earlier, "if you cant face your fears they will control you."

James D

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 03:29   #64
Solid
Guerrilla Chief

34ft, I've heard, is the maximum height a human can fall from with any decent chance of surviving.
That was from the Clancy book on SF, so take it as you will.

Solid
Solid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 03:42   #65
Kyobanim

Quote:
Originally posted by Robertson
I wish that I had this in my thoughts when my friend told me he gave his slot up. Maybe it was for the better?

I'm glad to hear that you faced your fear and like you said- didn't let it rule your life.

Has your fear of heights been done away with?

Craig
I don't think it will ever go away, you just learn to deal with it.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing."
Optimus Prime
Kyobanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 04:40   #66
Radar Rider
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally posted by DanUCSB

That all makes perfect sense to me. I know that I HATE being that amount above the ground, but being 800 or 1250 feet above is ALOT less intimidating. I'll STILL take a jump over that damn tower any day.
Old 05-14-2004, 05:46   #67
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

It is difficult to put our fears of falling aside.

If you cannot conquer that, you may have trouble being shot at, blown up, etc.

As was stated, you have to dominate your fears and put them behind you.

Training helps with that, along with experience.

I have been injured a number of times over the years doing dangerous stuff and returned to do it again. You just have to put your brain on auto-pilot and follow the instructions you were given without worrying too much.

I believe that is a characteristic of airborne and SF.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 06:22   #68
Kyobanim

After tower week, I think the harder part of jumping was to have faith in the equipment. I didn't know who was packing the chutes so there was always that nagging thought in the back of my mind, did they do it right?

I didn't have a problem with air assault school, in fact I loved rappelling out of a Huey. But there, I had more control over the equipment and my ability to control it.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing."
Optimus Prime
Kyobanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 06:36   #69
Radar Rider
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally posted by Kyobanim
After tower week, I think the harder part of jumping was to have faith in the equipment.
If I didn't have faith in the equipment, I'd still be a homeless rat hiding under a bridge. Faith, whether it be in God or man, is necessary. If nothing else, I always had God with me. BUT, the riggers performed excellently, as well.
Old 05-16-2004, 21:02   #70
ChaoticVirtuoso
Asset

I've become devout at checking my canopy release out of fear of it malfunctioning

Other than that the only thing that throws me off is when a JM is is JPMI'ing you while having a conversation with another... heh
ChaoticVirtuoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 00:13   #71
monkeydan
Asset

I was in Ft. Carson one time and I was watching some guys from 10th Group making jumps from a CH-47. One guy caught an updraft and literally floated off into the distance. I have no idea where he came down at. The same day I watched a guy hit the ground and just not get up for a while. Brave men. On a side note my old flight sergeant (yep you heard right, I'm attached to the AF security forces currently) was in some PIR in Alaska before he "crossed into the blue". He said he used to get air sick, so he would always get put at the back of the line. When those doors opened he would be out the door pushing everyone in front of him.
monkeydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 05:13   #72
ChaoticVirtuoso
Asset

Had a night-jump off of Sicily about 4-hours ago as an RTO... I wish I had the luck of ever catching up updraft... I always hit like a sack of shit and before anyone else.

7am...time for sleep... Viper Six, Out!
ChaoticVirtuoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 09:41   #73
.45ACP
Asset

Working construction can sometimes help knock the fear of heights out of you, or at least improve your balance greatly. I remember many times balancing on a 2x4 2 stories up with my tool belt on and while holding a big piece of 9 foot sheet rock on my shoulders, and of course the wind always seemed to be blowing strong on those days. I found that I had better walk fast or I was screwed. I fell once but luckily got caught up in the nearby trusses. Most of the guys wouldn't do that higher up work, there were only a few of us that did. I actually enjoyed doing it, I think it's good practice for obstacle courses and what not.
Old 05-30-2004, 04:01   #74
troy2k
Quiet Professional

Viper 6 Romeo?

Just a question
Anyhoo, the best way to overcome fear of jumping is do it regularly, get familiar with ABN Ops, and then it is managable. If you say, deploy somewhere for 6 months, then go back in a bird for the first time in a while, the fear feels brand new and foreign. Not cool.
Another personal observation...Combat Equipment is the very best motivator to get the hell out the door (ramp, whatever). That shit hurts.
Oh yes, and 5-6 racetracks on a bird with no A/C in August on Ft Bragg (C-130, MASTAC, 64 C/E jumpers). You'll beg for that green light.
“Creating effective intelligence is an inherent and essential responsibility of command. Intelligence failures are failures of command – [just] as operations failures are command failures.” Marine Corps Doctrine Publication 2 - Intelligence
troy2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 04:16   #75
troy2k
Quiet Professional

Our old school ride

Courtesy of the Mauritanian Air Force
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 011 jumpers.jpg (16.4 KB, 129 views)
“Creating effective intelligence is an inherent and essential responsibility of command. Intelligence failures are failures of command – [just] as operations failures are command failures.” Marine Corps Doctrine Publication 2 - Intelligence
troy2k is offline   Reply With Quote