Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Base Camp

Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 12:31   #136
Pete
Quiet Professional

Standing in the Dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankS
...... The whole thing makes no sense to be disqualified for for something this simple and irrelevant......
Sound is not irrelevant. Darkness is the friend of SOF operations. Yeah, it gets loud from time to time but its the quiet times where you make your money in SF.

Prior to NVGs the eyes and ears worked together in the darkness. Your eyes had a wide range of vision. With NVGs you can see great but on a limited field of view. The ears are more critical in picking up whats going on to your sides.

Lets not forget smell. For all you coming out to CMK to train you better work on the nose also. Fresh turned dirt from the pine forest of the Piedmont has a very distinct smell. Camp fires, smoke, food, tobacco products all smell and drift on the wind.

Each region of the word has it's own distinct smells and sounds. Learn them.

It is far better to know whats about to happen and cause the enemy to react to you than to have to pull an IAD and react to what the enemy is doing to you.

Added thought here. For those who have never done it, one of the hardest things to do is stand absolutly motionless on a moonless night while under a heavy load. Your mouth is open as you try to breath slowly and quietly as you pop your ears with your jaw so you might hear just a tad better. You slowly tilt and turn your head a bit to focus in on a faint sound in the distance. Your team mate shifts his shoulder and the movement of his gear sounds like a door slamming. Sound, oh yeah, sound is very important when there is just a few of you.

Last edited by Pete; 07-29-2005 at 12:46. Reason: Added thought
Old 07-29-2005, 13:12   #137
FrankS
On Probation

I must have misunderstood your post, I am absolutely 100% in agreement with you and completetly understand that being on a SF team is now out of the question it is a bit disappointing but part of life. The problem that I have is I am fully capable and able to perform as a soldier in the Army and the hearing does not effect 99% of the jobs available. Besides that I know for a fact through previous expiriences that when in a shooting or fire fight I don't lay down in a fetal position crying, later having to be rescued by SEALS and Rangers, enough said on that.

Granted the FAMS do have their problems and fortunately I was able to get the inside scoop from a lot of FAM friends that had nothing but complaints and wished they had never left their original agencies. I know of one FAM that managed restraunts and went directly to being a FAM with no prior Law Enforcement, weapons, or tactical training.

Will see what happens, still waiting on the call.
Old 07-29-2005, 15:03   #138
BamBam
Quiet Professional

"Besides that I know for a fact through previous expiriences that when in a shooting or fire fight I don't lay down in a fetal position crying, later having to be rescued by SEALS and Rangers, enough said on that. "

If you are trying to piss me off by suggesting something about some of my brothers, congratulations you succeeded. Now you need to be quiet, listen to what is said here. Until you have been the places and accomplished the things the men here have, don't make these type of remarks. Maybe you just need to move out and draw fire.
Old 07-29-2005, 15:08   #139
haztacmedic
Auxiliary

I started this whole post so I feel compelled to respond to you FRANK. Your hearing dilema is unfortunate. I wish you had better results. You need to immediately end the sarcastic tone with the QPs here. No one (I believe ) cares that you have or may have been in a contact with bullets flying. The comment about being rescued by seals and rangers from a fetal position,crying is not going to get you the reaction you wanted. No one cares.
I hope you get the hearing problem fixed. Id bet that there are some QPs at CMC that would like to meet you if you get there.
Old 07-29-2005, 19:27   #140
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankS
enough said on that.

Not quite! If you want to shoot off your mouth about something you obviously know absolutely nothing about and hurl invectives and innuendos about the character and service of folks with whom you will never measure up to you have fired your last shot. So let me put it in terms you might better understand, "Now hear this, your request to come aboard is denied"
Old 07-29-2005, 19:56   #141
FrankS
On Probation

Whoa Whoa wait a minute folks I don't know where it went sideways, but I assure you whole heartedly I did not imply any reflection of my previous statement to ANY quiete Professional or specop type. I believe there was a misunderstanding in my post or more specifically I was not accurate in my post. I would never doubt the quals, abilities and convictions of any of the worlds best soldiers,YOU GUYS! I appologize if it was taken in a disrespectful way it was certainly not meant that way.
I was talking about Jessica Lynch and then being glorified as a hero, if that still offends than I am sorry but that is my opinion. If you still want to kick me from the board go ahead but as long as you guys know that I was not talking smack about any of you guys or your brothers, I would never do that because I understand the sacrafices you have to make to do what you guys do..

Frank

Last edited by FrankS; 07-29-2005 at 20:08.
Old 07-29-2005, 20:11   #142
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Frank you've managed to also piss me off. Take a few weeks off before you post again.

"Besides that I know for a fact through previous expiriences that when in a shooting or fire fight I don't lay down in a fetal position crying, later having to be rescued by SEALS and Rangers, enough said on that."

This is now closed.
Closed Thread