Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 11-27-2005, 22:25   #16
SOC Tab
BANNED USER

TR:
If I'm going into E&E in such an instance, I may have to ditch gear to really scoot n' shoot. Thus my E&E bag would be invaluable. Which would necesitate the compact size and weight factors.

I might be able to dump my ruck, conceal it, backtrack to it when possible if situation allows and re-acquire it. Tricky.

In this instance, I didn't see that as an option. Just not enough time for that.

Hmmm...it occured to me that this has somewhat gone from a "Kit" thread to a "decision" thread.

Will avoid that path.

I liked your frag/revised kit. Even though some pieces may be dead weight, as you said, when you DO need them they'll be appreciated.

Something I notice you didn't mention was alcohol. Now is it just me or does anyone else keep a 5th of Old No.7 in their E&E/Bug out bag? Hey it may come in handy. Ha ha ha

I think I might trade in a few of your edged tools, which can always be fashioned if time permits (maybe while laid up, again situation dictates), for some med items/commo which might be more useful in this particular situation.

You'd have to fire and manuever for some time and at a high rate in that environment to give yourself a chance to get to a layup point. Highly likely that the firing would cease before the manuevering portion, in which case the kit and contents become paramount next to ones skills and ability to adapt to outside influences.

Agreed that the need for commo (to include signaling) and band-aids takes precidence here?

Do you think that the initial dimensions of the bag should be changed, more or less?

Time seems to be the real factor and being able to gain the initiative at some point and capitalize on it. The kit may be a secondary tool to that.

Still interested in what others may think it should be comprised of.

Damn, babies crying. Wife's fussy.

I'm Oscar Mike for now.

ST

Last edited by SOC Tab; 11-27-2005 at 22:28.
SOC Tab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 02:06   #17
Smokin Joe
Area Commander

Gentlemen,

Instead of having a designated "kit" or bag for this purpose why not pack this stuff in layers.

(You guys know more than I on what is esstential and what is not so take this as my loose interpertation and add or subtract as you see fit)

For instance first line gear contains stuff you must have and cannot ditch i.e. This stuff would be packed in your pockets or attached to your trouser belt.
-Small survival kit (about the size of an altoids can)
-Signal Scarf
-Leatherman
-Pistol
-Your 3 Pistol ammo
-Passport
-Small flashlight
-Maps
-Compass w/ mirror
-GPS
-Commo (personal)
-Butain Lighter
-Narcs and Stimulants/ Antibiotics
-Water Purification Tablets
-1 deflated flat water flasks
-Cash, gold or stuff to barter with
-550 cord
-steel wire

Second Line gear containts more "comfort type" items but if in a real pinch you could live with out. This is the stuff your plate carrier/vest would carry but if you had to, you could ditch; although ditching this stuff would be your last scarefice to gain mobility/ speed. I.E.
-SAPI Plates and M-4 mags
-Spare batteries
-Trauma Gear
-IV kit and bag
-Suppressed .22 and ammo
-Portable water bladder (Camelback)
-MSR MIOX purification system
-More Money
-Dictionary/ translate card
-TR's hatchet with steel wire and 100 mph tape wrap (great idea Sir I'll be doing this to my pack axe shortly)
-Emergency Space Blanket
-Radio, Cell Phone, etc
-Pen Flares
-Garbage and zip lock bags
-Breaking & Entering and hot wire equipment
-High energy zero prep food
-1 extra pair of poly pro pants and top or Gortex pants and top... Whichever is more important. I.e. If your wearing a layer of polypro already under your BDU's but snow is imminent pack gore-tex but if getting wet is not an issue pack another layer of wind stopper polypro.
-Bigger/better light than your 1st line.

3rd line gear is more comfort items but less determinal if ditched
-Team radio
-Food
-Bivy shelter
-Sleeping bag
-Extreme cold weather gear
-Bad ass light
-Stove and gas
-Pan or something to prep food with
-Nods and extra batteries
-Any other long term sustainment equipement you can think of.

My thought is that if you put all your E&E stuff in one bag and you some how get seperated from that bag (Mr. Murphy and all) you would be screwed but if you layer this stuff based on comfort or necessity you then have layers do help you out and unless you get caught naked you are not completely screwed just a little less comfortable.

Just a thought now I'm back to lurking and my lane

P.S. SOC Tab Congrats on the kid!
"This is the law: The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." - John Steinbeck, "The Law"
Smokin Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 08:50   #18
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

Smokin Joe goes to the front of the class.

Pain and suffering are inevitable,
misery is optional.

http://tadahling.com/memoriesofaspecialforcessoldier/
QRQ 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 09:33   #19
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

I say again that the absolute essentials need to be on your person, on an operation.

I had a side arm/extra clip, water, bag of reconstituted rice (PIR), basic first aid, strip map, compass, knife, panel, strobe light, survival radio, mirror, snap link and rope for swiss seat.

That's thirteen items all of which I could carry in my pockets or LBE. I also had a light weight poncho. Today you might consider a space blanket. A ball of 550 cord would have been nice.

misery is optional.

Old 11-28-2005, 21:01   #20
Smokin Joe
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by QRQ 30
Smokin Joe goes to the front of the class.
Thanks Terry,

But I got this originally form The Reaper a couple of years ago when he posted what his 1st, 2nd, and 3rd line contained. After reading through his post, it just seemed like the best way to travel.
"This is the law: The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." - John Steinbeck, "The Law"
Smokin Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 22:40   #21
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Joe
Thanks Terry,

But I got this originally form The Reaper a couple of years ago when he posted what his 1st, 2nd, and 3rd line contained. After reading through his post, it just seemed like the best way to travel.

You can still claim the points. I'm with QRQ30, if it doesn't fit on your body, it doesn't count. Friends in the sandbox are (the operative word now is probably "were") keeping "bug out bags" packed in small day packs. Not a bad idea, especially since their threat is still evolving. Personally my favorite kit is the one I/we kept handy in 3/7 back in the 80's:

1) A smile and knowledge of the local language/culture
2) Cash - usually a substantial quantity of dollars and a lesser amount of the local currency plus a credit card with a high limit.
3) A Browning High Power and 4-5 extra magazines.
4) A passport.

I could usually count on handling just about anything with one of the above, a little finesse, and a healthy dose of SA. Peregrino
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 22:31   #22
eggroll
Guerrilla

So the question I have is what do people use to carry all this stuff in?

how is it worn/borne/manipulated/accessed etc?

where is such a kit stowed operationally?

EGG
Old 12-12-2005, 22:43   #23
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggroll

EGG
Check Peregrino's post above yours.

Anyone want to come up with an R&R Kit?

misery is optional.

Old 12-12-2005, 22:50   #24
eggroll
Guerrilla

some would seem to think that the EGL MOJO bag would fit the bill for an R&R bag, but I am looking for examples of what folks have used outside of the venerable bdu pocket or ALICE mag pouch.
Old 12-12-2005, 22:53   #25
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

SOE (or is it SO Tech?) makes a bug-out bag, as does Eagle, off the top of my head.

I would assume that they are carried at arms reach in the vehicle, and are easily accessible.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 23:29   #26
eggroll
Guerrilla

thanks TR, how goes it? been tryin to get a hold of you.

E
Old 12-13-2005, 07:02   #27
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggroll

EGG
It depends on where you are and what the situation is. For instance, in one of my A-Team Camps (Mang Buk) we stowed an indigenous rucksack per person hung on pegs on the tunnel wall through which would we move to exfiltrate.

In another of my A-Team Camps (Ben Het) we had a similar situation but the equipment list was heavier on the ammo side and lighter on the rations and other less critical items because often had the bad guys surrounded from the inside and this situation was built around our ability to fight our way out, if you failed at that nothing else really mattered.

In another, urban assignment, we had the necessary equipment packed in indigenous bags that converted into rucksacks which gave us the latitude to meet whatever the operations environment required in a very fluid situation.

In the "woods" we had locally made vests, BAR belts, and associated web gear that allowed us to jettison heavier rucks and get on with whatever we needed to do for E&E.

In short, what you carry is what you need and what you are trained to use. Every situation will dictate something different and the key becomes your ability to assess your situation, feasible contingencies, and prepare accordingly. One size does not fit all.
Old 12-21-2005, 20:03   #28
eggroll
Guerrilla

thanks for the info!
Old 02-16-2006, 09:09   #29
Huey14
Kia ora, bro

First off, let me apologise for bumping an old thread. I thought it would be appropriate here.

This is my China grab bag. It's more of an escape bag rather than evasion, just in case something big happens and I need to leave the country in a hurry.

-Water

-NZ Passport (in bag- one of those fangled E Passports so it can't get wet at all)

-Undies

-Money (US/HK$/RMB+ a little NZD)

-Visa Card

-Airline Tickets

-Socks

-Nurofen

Still to get:

-Maps

-Compass

-550 type cord

-Small torch

-Expandable baton

-Mask in case of bird flu (Don't know how effective it would be but nice to have)

-Purifying tablets

-Basic first aid kit.

My Leatherman is always on me at all times, except when I'm in the shower (I'm not that dedicated).

I am working on an escape plan for various situations, too. That's taking the most time.

All the stuff is inside a small bag inside my pack which I use for travelling. It's outside the pack at home.

"That block was already messed up."
Huey14 is offline   Reply With Quote