Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > 5th Special Forces Group

Old 06-03-2005, 21:07   #1
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

5th SFGA CoC and PUC Award

Yesterday, I was privileged to attend the 5th Group Change of Command ceremony and the award of a Presidential Unit Citation, which is one hell of a tough award to get approved, and it goes to all of the members of the unit.

I also got the opportunity to see a lot of old friends and comrades.

Photos are incoming and outgoing commanders reviewing the troops, attaching the PUC streamer for Afghanistan, close up of streamers (for you FOGs, note which two wound up side by side in front), passing of the colors, one last shot of the colors.

Hope that you like them.

TR
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG0052 (Medium).JPG (100.7 KB, 455 views)
File Type: jpg IMG0101p (Medium).jpg (389.9 KB, 489 views)
File Type: jpg IMG0108p (Medium).jpg (279.2 KB, 406 views)
File Type: jpg IMG0112 (Medium).JPG (67.3 KB, 396 views)
File Type: jpg IMG0139 (Medium).JPG (58.1 KB, 342 views)
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 21:28   #2
aricbcool
Guerrilla Chief

Great pictures. Thanks TR.

Congrats 5th Group.

--Aric
aricbcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 21:31   #3
smokfire
SF Candidate

Excellent pictures Sir. Thank you for posting.

smokfire
smokfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 21:32   #4
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Excellent! Thanks Boss and a salute to the 5th SFG(A).
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 21:33   #5
lksteve
Quiet Professional

thanks for the pics...why the brassards for patches? IMNSHO, you either wear the patches or not...personally, i miss the days when we wore jungles with pin on rank and no patches, no badges, no name tags...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
lksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 21:39   #6
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by lksteve
thanks for the pics...why the brassards for patches? IMNSHO, you either wear the patches or not...personally, i miss the days when we wore jungles with pin on rank and no patches, no badges, no name tags...
Not brassards. Velcro patches, and now the tabs and unit insignia all have to be stuck onto the Velcro. Not well thought out, IMHO.

Hey, is it just me, or do the new uniforms look like the old VN era cammies that were washed a few times too many?

Not sure that I am a fan of the new uniforms.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

Old 06-03-2005, 21:51   #7
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
Not brassards. Velcro patches, and now the tabs and unit insignia all have to be stuck onto the Velcro. Not well thought out, IMHO.
i agree...why bother at all...? i thought greens were for all the patches and fatigues were for training...no place for a 201 file...

Quote:
Hey, is it just me, or do the new uniforms look like the old VN era cammies that were washed a few times too many?
i had several sets that looked like those do...they were just getting broken in when they looked like that....

Quote:
Not sure that I am a fan of the new uniforms.
well, at least it's a field uniform and not some Black and Gold West Point wannabe sweater, overcoat, raincoat, blanket and car cover ensemble that some idiot on the uniform board thought would be nice...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
lksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 22:21   #8
vsvo
Area Commander

Nice Pics Sir. Thank you for sharing.

Congrats to 5th Group!
vsvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 23:21   #9
Smokin Joe
Area Commander

Very nice, thank you for sharing TR.

Congratulations 5th group.

Quick question: Whats the difference between the men in the maroon berets and the men in the green berets?

I'm thinking the guys in green berets are tabbed SF guys and the men in the maroon berets are the support guys am I close?
Smokin Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 07:27   #10
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Yep.

TR

Old 06-04-2005, 07:50   #11
Gypsy
Area Commander

Congratulations to 5th Group, and my thanks.

Great pictures TR.
Old 06-04-2005, 09:19   #12
AmericanPride

Thanks for posting the pics sir.

Proud to be heading that way in a few months.

AP
Old 06-04-2005, 11:14   #13
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Nice pics. Thanks, TR.
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 11:51   #14
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

The commanders paused during the ceremony for a moment at the memorial there on the parade field.

It was a very touching moment.

Our friends are gone, but not forgotten.

TR
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG0058pc2 (Medium).JPG (103.7 KB, 288 views)

Old 06-11-2005, 10:03   #15
RLK
Asset

I was in the crowd.

Didn't know you were in town. Could've worked a link-up.