Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Soapbox

Old 10-31-2018, 20:43   #16
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
I don't think so because it's referencing the original intent and changes nothing so does not add or remove any new language to the Amendment. Well, it hasn't happened yet but that's my hope given his advisors.
That’s what I was trying to say. It’s not amending the Amendment and all that goes with it, it’s allowing Congress to write a law supporting the 14th Amendment as it pertains to birthright citizenship.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” (Sir Edmund Burke)
Old Dog New Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 21:22   #17
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dog New Trick View Post
That’s what I was trying to say. It’s not amending the Amendment and all that goes with it, it’s allowing Congress to write a law supporting the 14th Amendment as it pertains to birthright citizenship.

Oh, Gotcha! We don't want that either, though. It would take so many years to adjudicate that the Demons might be back in control again.

At 68, it's truly amazing the epic changes I've seen in our history even at the glacial progress we seem to observe. Obama said it, they take two steps forward then one step back. Well, they are still moving forward one step at a time. Time to "cut them off at the pass".

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 16:00   #18
tonyz
Area Commander

Ann Coulter’s take on the 14th - fiesty as always.

Excerpt below - complete article at link - worth a read.

https://townhall.com/columnists/annc...abies-n2533765

The True History of Millstone Babies
TownHall
Ann Coulter|Posted: Oct 31, 2018 4:06 PM

Give me a scenario — just one scenario — where the post-Civil War amendments would be intended to grant citizenship to the kids of Chinese ladies flying to birthing hospitals in California, or pregnant Latin Americans sneaking across the border in the back of flatbed trucks.

No Supreme Court has ever held that children born to illegal aliens are citizens. No Congress has deliberated and decided to grant that right. It’s a made-up right, grounded only in the smoke and mirrors around Justice Brennan’s 1982 footnote.

Obviously, it would be better if Congress passed a law clearly stating that children born to illegals are not citizens. (Trump won’t be president forever!) But until that happens, the president of the United States is not required to continue a ridiculous practice that has absolutely no basis in law.

Marcus Tullius Cicero
tonyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 17:30   #19
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyz View Post
Ann Coulter’s take on the 14th - fiesty as always.
Yeah, read that. Always nice to balance scholarship with some snark from the skinny blonde one. I mean, all work & no play...

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 09:33   #20
Box
Quiet Professional

Just another example to prove that our nations elected representation prefers inaction and incompetence over ANYTHING that will improve the state of affairs
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 09:40   #21
cat in the hat
Quiet Professional

A first step could be removing all protections for parents of anchor babies. I say grant the child status of their strongest parent. (Citizenship, legal resident, green card or maybe just a pre approved tourist visa when they turn 18)

They can leave the baby with a government approved foster care facility or take them back home until they are 18 and the child can apply for citizenship AFTER they register with selective service AND pay any medical bills still outstanding.

Obviously doing away with all the "welfare entitlements" goes hand in hand to remove temptations for coming here.

American on the inside, useful on the outside
cat in the hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 18:15   #22
lindy
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Issues: (1) Whether a 93-year-old memorial to the fallen of World War I is unconstitutional merely because it is shaped like a cross; (2) whether the constitutionality of a passive display incorporating religious symbolism should be assessed under the tests articulated in Lemon v. Kurtzman, Van Orden v. Perry, Town of Greece v. Galloway or some other test; and (3) whether, if the test from Lemon v. Kurtzman applies, the expenditure of funds for the routine upkeep and maintenance of a cross-shaped war memorial, without more, amounts to an excessive entanglement with religion in violation of the First Amendment.
Speaking of Constitution, SCOTUS agreed to hear the case! Timing couldn’t be better right before Veterans’ Day.

http://www.scotusblog.com/case-files...t-association/

"There are times in your life you'll be required to perform an exceedingly difficult task to the best of your ability, regardless of your perceived capability. Mental toughness is what will carry the day during these times. In other words, you suck it up and do what you have to do." - Razor
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 19:39   #23
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindy View Post
Speaking of Constitution, SCOTUS agreed to hear the case! Timing couldn’t be better right before Veterans’ Day.

I have my fingers x'd on this one. I hope the respondent in this case, along with the Freedom from Religion Foundation et al, get totally hung out to dry. Not because I'm particularly pious but because of the way these litigation-happy organizations cost money to small towns while injecting their world-view on citizens when they have complete disregard for local mores & traditions. Maybe they will set sufficient precedent that Smalltown, USA doesn't have to drown in legal fees (or surrender) just because they've had a manger scene down by the City Hall for 180 years.
BFYTW

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 20:36   #24
WarriorDiplomat
Quiet Professional

Fixing things is hard work Sarge...and our reps are bone tired
Old 11-02-2018, 21:34   #25
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindy View Post

I wish people would stop conflating Constitutional rights with private or public entities that have nothing to do with the government or a government authority.

If this cross is on private land or a memorial site on public property dedicated at the time to Christian warriors and it offends you then F_ck-off! Petition the city to remove it and if they tell you to F_ck-off then move out and draw fire. It has nothing to do with separation of church and state, no one is benefiting from this but the dead and those who remember them.

If the owner of a football team tells you to hold your helmet in your left hand and place your right hand over your heart while standing during the National Anthem and you decide not to you should be counseled once and then fired. If the coach decides to support you he should be fired too! This isn’t a democracy, it’s a private business. You have no fu_king Constitutional right to free speech dumbass!

If the President of the United States of America or the local city counsel-member tells you to stand and you want to kneel and flip them off...guess what, you can, although you may still be fired by your boss for violating company standards and policy. Same goes for tweeting or bookfacing your latest kill the cops rap video.

People are stupid and the education system has failed entire generations to understand fact and truth over hyperbole and feelings.

The fact that the Speaker of the House of Representatives in Congress doesn’t know or understand the Bill of Rights shows that we are in fact led by imbeciles and doofuses only intelligent enough to keep getting re-elected by more incompetent people.

Most aMEricans honestly believe this sentence is a Constitutional right: We hold these Truths to be self-evident, that all Men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness. (Extra credit if you can find that in the Constitution or Bill of Rights.)

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” (Sir Edmund Burke)
Old 11-02-2018, 21:54   #26
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
People are stupid and the education system has failed entire generations to understand fact and truth over hyperbole and feelings.
Actually, they succeeded since that was their plan all along. Destroy the family, belittle religion, demonize capitalism, promote free health care, demonize the founding fathers, unionize the workers, promote perversion, and control the education system to validate all of the above and make sure that they never learn the truth.

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 21:57   #27
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Actually, they succeeded since that was their plan all along. Destroy the family, belittle religion, demonize capitalism, promote free health care, demonize the founding fathers, unionize the workers, promote perversion, and control the education system to validate all of the above and make sure that they never learn the truth.
Sadly you are correct.

Old 11-03-2018, 05:00   #28
lindy
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
I wish people would stop conflating Constitutional rights with private or public entities that have nothing to do with the government or a government authority.
Apparently state tax dollars used to maintain the site are the contested issue.

Quote:
Today, responsibility for the cross falls to a Maryland parks commission that took over ownership and maintenance of it in 1961 because of traffic safety concerns. The massive concrete structure could be dangerous to motorists if it were to fall or crumble.

The monument’s supporters said the Supreme Court has previously made clear that monuments, particularly longstanding ones, that incorporate religious symbolism to send a secular message don’t violate the Constitution. They said the Bladensburg monument’s history and context show that it falls into that category, that its message is a secular one of commemoration.

The D.C.-based American Humanist Association has led the challenge against the monument. The organization and three area residents sued Maryland officials in 2014.

They said that the cross “discriminates against patriotic soldiers who are not Christian, sending a callous message to non-Christians that Christians are worthy of veneration while they may as well be forgotten.” And, they point out that other nearby memorials are smaller and across the street from the cross.
https://wtop.com/prince-georges-coun...memorial-case/

"There are times in your life you'll be required to perform an exceedingly difficult task to the best of your ability, regardless of your perceived capability. Mental toughness is what will carry the day during these times. In other words, you suck it up and do what you have to do." - Razor
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 09:03   #29
Golf1echo
Area Commander

Location: Western Carolina in the rainforest,4000' along the Eastern Cont. Div.
Quote:
So many people in the World regard this nation as one of the best, they want to come legally or otherwise and yet individuals within want to destroy it for their own agendas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sal Alinsk.jpg (173.6 KB, 28 views)

Essayons

By Dand

"In the school of the wilds,there is no graduation day"Horace Kephart
Golf1echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 14:10   #30
Mike792
Quiet Professional

Most aMEricans honestly believe this sentence is a Constitutional right: We hold these Truths to be self-evident, that all Men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness. (Extra credit if you can find that in the Constitution or Bill of Rights.)[/QUOTE]

I don't believe it is in the U.S. Constitution. But it is in the Declaration of Independence.

Mike
Mike792 is offline   Reply With Quote