Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Soapbox

Old 10-28-2018, 08:32   #1
Pete
Quiet Professional

Energy Drinks and PTSD

So now energy drinks are a part of causing PTSD because young troops don't get enough sleep and drink at least one energy drink a day.

Back in the day a young troop who got enough sleep was looked at as the odd ball - and what about those 10 cups of coffee before PT? Actually 10 cups is misleading. I have the same style coffee cup I used in the Army and when I make a 10 cup pot (according to the coffee pot) I only get 5 cups.

You young troops ever wonder why us old guys look at you so oddly?

https://www.militarytimes.com/off-du...d-study-finds/
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 09:40   #2
cbtengr
Area Commander

I did a simple search of what does NOT cause PTSD. See below attachment.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:54   #3
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
I'm applying for 100% PTSD, Based on my history of drinking too much coffee, Update(S) to follow.

Me Me Me Me

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 08:35   #4
7624U
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
I'm applying for 100% PTSD, Based on my history of drinking too much coffee, Update(S) to follow.

Me Me Me Me
Going to one up you JJ

I am going to dump coffee in my CPAP machine so I can inhale it while I sleep and get PTSD.

"Me"
7624U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 08:43   #5
PedOncoDoc
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7624U View Post
Going to one up you JJ

I am going to dump coffee in my CPAP machine so I can inhale it while I sleep and get PTSD.
There are worse ways to get your caffeine fix...

‎"The dignity of man is not shattered in a single blow, but slowly softened, bent, and eventually neutered. Men are seldom forced to act, but are constantly restrained from acting. Such power does not destroy outright, but prevents genuine existence. It does not tyrannize immediately, but it dampens, weakens, and ultimately suffocates, until the entire population is reduced to nothing better than a flock of timid, uninspired animals, of which the government is shepherd." - Alexis de Tocqueville
PedOncoDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 09:03   #6
rsdengler
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedOncoDoc View Post
LOL...how did I know you were going to post something like that....Na...I rather drink my pot of Coffee; it doesn't help that I'm already like the Energizer Bunny......HA

-Benjamin Franklin

Rita
rsdengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 21:17   #7
35NCO
Guerrilla

(Former user myself. Gave me all kinds of troubles but that was not one. Mine was Kidney problems. But flat out stopped with ceased usage.)

This study has some issues that dont pass to me. IMO.

The article which filters it says:
"Questions were designed to examine the association of energy drink use with sleep deprivation or insomnia, depression, anxiety, post-traumatic stress disorder, alcohol abuse, aggressive behaviors and fatigue.""

That's an awfully big relationship for one variable and vague control.

The study concludes:
"Relative to soldiers in the low frequency group, soldiers in the high frequency group were more likely to exceed criteria for sleep problems, depression, anxiety, PTSD, and alcohol misuse (AORs ranging from 2.0 to 2.7; see Table 2). In addition, the moderate frequency group had greater depressive symptoms compared with the low frequency group (AOR = 2.0, 95% CI = 1.03–4.1). As shown in Table 3, relative to soldiers in the low frequency group, soldiers in the high frequency group were more likely to endorse all four aggressive behaviors (AORs ranging from 2.3 to 3.5). In addition, soldiers in the moderate frequency group were more likely to endorse “yell or shout” and “threaten physical violence,” relative to soldiers in the low frequency group (AORs ranging from 1.6–1.7). In terms of fatigue, both moderate and high energy drink use were associated with heightened fatigue relative to the low use group for frequency (R2 = 0.162, p = <0.001; β = 0.079, p = 0.05; β = 0.143, p = <0.001, respectively). "

Poll them again on water use, tobacco, and MREs with the study. There is brief mention, but it was not covered.

I agree it can't be good to use any kind of substance but I believe it's obvious that if a Soldier has a problem with coping with Y they will seek X. But they will still have all the problems associated with Y.

Soldiers that can cope with Y won't seek X.

Those that really can't cope with Y will abuse the X solution. Which is Its own preexisting mental health condition. (Before anything traumatic either did or did not happen.)

High caffeine use can mess with sleep and increase fatigue....No kidding!

It's well known that people that dont sleep or have disrupted sleep for extended periods can develop mental health and other physiological problems. But it can be short and or long term and it does not include everyone.

Finally, trendy things are trendy. Agree endless supply and openness of usage lets it happen.

Go. Figure.

Also official but not offical:

"Material has been reviewed by the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research. There is no objection to its presentation and/or publication. The opinions or assertions contained herein are the private views of the author, and are not to be construed as official, or as reflecting true views of the Department of the Army or the Department of Defense. The investigators have adhered to the policies for protection of human subjects as prescribed in AR 70–25. The authors have no conflicts of interest or financial relationships to disclose."
35NCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 13:31   #8
TFA303
Auxiliary

Reading the story of the Ramadi Ripit Ranger gave me PTSD.

Quote:
Then the smell hit me. It was like hate, anger, divorce, the movie Train Spotting, the way a perm smells, a hippie’s dreadlock, old salad, and a trucker’s apple bag came together to create the ultimate smell. I was gagging. Hard. Every time I heaved, the convulsion caused the filth to rocket out of me like buckshot out of a 12 gauge.
https://havokjournal.com/culture/mil...er-looks-back/
TFA303 is offline   Reply With Quote