Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Gourmet Guerrilla

Old 04-24-2011, 06:49   #61
Mustang Man
Guerrilla

Lent is over and today is Easter. 40 days with out meat, it's time to break out the lamb over the spit fire!!

BMT
Mustang Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 06:51   #62
tim180a
Quiet Professional

Easter Dinner

Simple, but good. Ham, green beans, and potatoes...cooked in a pressure cooker. Washed down with a Berwick Brewing Company, Atomic Punk IPA. And shared with family and friends.

Life is good!
tim180a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 06:59   #63
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
I'm going to try Roses for my main squeeze.. Here are step by step instructions..

Enjoy..

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/pictures/view/81447956/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 81447970.jpg (44.5 KB, 28 views)

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:33   #64
PedOncoDoc
Area Commander

My son got up early to help me cook breakfeast for the ladies of the house. Bacon, eggs scrambled in bacon grease, whole-grain toast.

Nothing extravagant, but great bonding and talk time for a man and his son.

The gals were pleasantly surprised by breakfast before the Easter egg hunt, and my son was proud of his role in preparing the surprise.
‎"The dignity of man is not shattered in a single blow, but slowly softened, bent, and eventually neutered. Men are seldom forced to act, but are constantly restrained from acting. Such power does not destroy outright, but prevents genuine existence. It does not tyrannize immediately, but it dampens, weakens, and ultimately suffocates, until the entire population is reduced to nothing better than a flock of timid, uninspired animals, of which the government is shepherd." - Alexis de Tocqueville
PedOncoDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:38   #65
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Cerdo
Old 04-24-2011, 08:41   #66
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Firing chili this morning....... should be done by dinner....

Did some gravlax for later in the week and have a leg of lamb (defrosting) on standby. Where's SwatSurgeon?
Old 04-24-2011, 09:15   #67
WholeManin2010
Auxiliary

Good ol' duck today - indirect heat on the grill. Swiss chard sauteed in the duck fat, mashed cauliflower, probably roast some sweet potaters. I wish I'd marinated the duck a few days like I did at Christmas!
"Many current Army regulations and policies place insufficient emphasis on individual, crew, and unit marksmanship. If the fighting Army does nothing else, we must be able to hit our targets. Conversely, if we do all other things right, but fail to hit and kill targets, we shall lose."

--Army Vice Chief of Staff General John Vessey
WholeManin2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 09:28   #68
Gypsy
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
Why don't you kill two birds with one stone and make a olive oil lemon vinaigrette? 3 parts oil to one part acid, season and then balance. I'd use some lemon zest also.
Oh, I have. And I always add some zest when I'm using lemon to enhance the flavor.

You'll probably think I'm weird but I get better balance adding ingredients individually.

I've been experimenting with blood orange infused olive oil, it's quite good. So far I've sauteed and/or roasted veggies with it and have brushed it on some chicken with a bit of orange zest and a squeeze of the orange juice.
Old 01-07-2012, 17:49   #69
33army
Guerrilla

BUMP!

I made Green Tea poached Salmon with Black rice and steamed snow peas.....sorry, no pictures this time.
Old 01-07-2012, 21:09   #70
mark46th
Quiet Professional

I may have posted this before but I made it again tonight.

Grilled Flank steak marinated in a Korean style marinade, steamed rice and stir fried baby bok choy.
Marinade:
1/2 cup Soy sauce
5 minced garlic cloves
1 Tbsp minced fresh ginger
1 Tbsp Chili oil
1 Tbsp Sesame oil
1 Tbsp Lemon juice
2 Chopped scallions
1 Tbsp Sesame seeds

Reserve a couple ounces of the marinade. Marinate for 2 hours or more before grilling. I grill the flank steak to medium rare. Pour the reserved marinade over the meat after slicing the meat just before serving.
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 18:29   #71
Gypsy
Area Commander

Made Chicken Scallopine stuffed with shredded Fontina cheese and fresh sage leaves.

After rolling and browning the chicken I deglazed the pan with some red wine, after reducing added diced tomatoes and tomato paste with the usual suspects (basil, oregano, garlic, red pepper flakes, parsley, sea salt and freshly cracked pepper) for the sauce.

Saw Giada making it on the FN so gave it a try. Her sauce was only the reduced wine, tomatoes and red pepper flakes. I did it differently, and I think next time I'd also prefer to chop the sage instead of leaving the leaves whole.

Not bad for a first time try.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:00   #72
Stopp700
Asset

Well last night I CUI (cooked under the influence). Left over roast beef, green beans, red bliss potatoes and brown gravey. Not bad.

Tonight I am going to make a red sauce, eggplant parm, hot italian sausage and meatballs. Al lpretty easy, takes about 2 hours for all. The eggplant is a plain, fried frozen prepared type. Very good and no big mess to clean up. The only thing the eggplant misses is that taste of olive oil.

The wife has to help me with the garlic bread though. she has just the right amount of garlic to butter for a "drenched" type of garlic bread. She covers all of the bread with the ingredients, bakes it for an hour.
Stopp700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 17:58   #73
Tweeder11
SF Candidate

Lovely Leftovers

Having some leftover Caldo Gallego, it's always better the next day!

Take care,
Tweeder
Tweeder11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 21:47   #74
Penn
Area Commander

Parsnip Cream

I made this Parsnip Cream to serve with Seared Long Island Bay Scallops and Caviar.

The cream is made from the trimmings, reduced to consistency, the parsnip are slow roasted then pureed. The dish was so good we forgot to photograph the plating.

One of the sexiest dishes I've ever eaten.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Parsnip Cream.jpg (46.8 KB, 19 views)
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 22:33   #75
mark46th
Quiet Professional

Gypsy- Your Lobster Mac sounds great. I copied it and put it into my recipe book.

Penn- Very nice- A lot of subtle textures and flavors at work in that bowl...
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote