Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 06-10-2009, 23:45   #1
frostfire
Area Commander

David Goggins

http://www.davidgoggins.com

I searched and this has not been posted before. He is a NAVY SEAL who does ultramarathon and other events that push human body (and mind) to the limits to raise money for SOWF. One tough humble guy.

My shin splints suddenly hurt no more...

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:33   #2
SF0
Guerrilla

Nice cause, but the website does not strike me as humble.
SF0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 21:13   #3
C0B2A
Quiet Professional

I looked through his site a bit and that Warrior can afford a bit of an ego, he should be proud of what he is accomplishing... though it doesn't show much through his site or his interviews. He is doing great things and is representing the SEALs and the US Military at the highest standard.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:41   #4
Warrior-Mentor
Quiet Professional

Thumbs up

He was the Special Operations Warrior Foundation's Volunteer of the year in 2007.

Met him at the Awards dinner when they recognized him. Seems like a good guy.

...and if the website helps him raise money - have at it. good for him and good for the kids.

Warrior-Mentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:14   #5
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF0 View Post
Nice cause, but the website does not strike me as humble.
SFO,

I whole heartily agree,his humility isn't there........ What ever the real reasons are for what he does......

GB TFS
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 21:56   #6
frostfire
Area Commander

oh well, IMHOO, I guess sometimes self-assured confidence based on talking the talk, and walking the walk can come across as arrogance.

His February and March blogs are along the same line with NDD's "training the mind" thread: "Enjoy" pain, overcoming the "look," doing something you hate everyday, and living the warrior life. Humble or not, he motivated the hell out of me so much so that I decided to ride the bicycle to work.

Great things he did to motivate kids (or just about anyone) to exercise, and to combat childhood obesity in the US.
"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are"

Petty Officer David Goggins, thank you for your service and inspiration. Best wishes in all that you do.

http://www.davidgoggins.com/blog.html
http://www.slowtwitch.com/Interview/...ggins_580.html

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 10:00   #7
bandycpa
Guerrilla Chief

frostfire,

I liked his blogs too. Printed them out and highlighted the heck out of them. Lots of good motivational stuff in there.

Like I've heard all of my life, "It ain't bragging if you can back it up." I'd say he can back it up.

Bandy
Old 06-13-2009, 19:47   #8
relentless
BANNED USER

SFO, you are a joke

The dude runs for the children of our fallen brothers. If anyone here doesn't support that 100% then you can go F$%# yourself. I guess you didn't read enough about him to know that he has done all this with a heart operating at 3/4 capacity, due to a birth defect. SFO, show more respect when it is well deserved.

Quote:
Bulletin Board Posting Rules - #4. No verbal attacks, flaming etc. Verbal assaults on a member of Professional Soldiers ® will result in a warning and/or immediate banning from the bulletin board.

You've just been warned - you only get one.

Have a very SF day.

Richard
relentless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 21:01   #9
sg1987
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentless View Post
The dude runs for the children of our fallen brothers. If anyone here doesn't support that 100% then you can go F$%# yourself. I guess you didn't read enough about him to know that he has done all this with a heart operating at 3/4 capacity, due to a birth defect. SFO, show more respect when it is well deserved.

easy now...SFO has a service record...do you?
Old 06-13-2009, 21:01   #10
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentless View Post
And other than a guest here, you are?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 04:49   #11
Pete
Quiet Professional

8 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
And other than a guest here, you are?

TR
Other than missing with his first post, in the 8 months he's been here he seems more interested in boots, knives and working out.

I wonder how his journey to becoming SF is coming?
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:26   #12
Stras
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Other than missing with his first post, in the 8 months he's been here he seems more interested in boots, knives and working out.

I wonder how his journey to becoming SF is coming?
He possibly already bought his SF Tab and green beret
Stras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 22:04   #13
perdurabo
Guerrilla

Mr Goggins is a good man with plenty of accomplishments to be proud of. I suspect that in his earlier days of getting press, his shyness and not being used to the attention gave some people the impression that he was somehow full of himself, but having briefly met him and keeping up with his exploits, I think he's a fine and humble man. He does what he does, no bragging or exaggeration needed.
perdurabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:02   #14
lonepine
Asset

Inspirational. I'm training for a 50-mile endurance run through the NH woods this fall and stories like David Goggins's are just what I need. Going to PT asap.

Also, on the "They Said it" section, his response to questions about diet are intriguing - he eats a protein/carb-heavy diet every 2-3 hours. I suppose this makes sense if one is running hundreds of miles a week, but has anyone else had success with eating every couple of hours (as opposed to three square meals)?
lonepine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:00   #15
Slantwire
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonepine View Post
anyone else had success with eating every couple of hours (as opposed to three square meals)?
Lots of folks recommend it. Doing so can level out your blood glucose throughout the day, keeping your metabolism operating more smoothly.

Not as many people can build that into their lifestyle, however. And, if one is willing to go with anecdotal evidence, people who do eat this way tend to get hit harder when they're off their schedule.