Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 07-19-2004, 14:42   #1
BadMuther
Guerrilla

Dedicated h20 on the second line?

Most gear whores are always attempting to perfect their rig or see what new gear is out there. One deciding factor for me in gear wear/placement, is water. I know some folks always carry canteens/platypuses on their second line, and then there's those who never do, relying on a camelback instead.

I'd like to hear pros and cons on whether or not you think water should always be carried in the second line in something like a canteen or a platypus or whether a seperate camelback will do.

Thanks.
Old 07-19-2004, 15:29   #2
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

I am a big believer in water. I would say carry it everywhere all the time.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 16:16   #3
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

I am a belt and suspenders man.

Camelback and Platypus on Second Line, plus Platypus (empty or full, depending) on First line.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 16:27   #4
Alex F
Auxiliary

What about the Nalgene bottles? Have they fallen out of favor? I still have 1 quart issue canteens, was considering replacing them with Nalgenes.
Alex F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 16:32   #5
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

I have two, use them every day. But I don't think they replace canteens for carry on a belt.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 23:26   #6
BadMuther
Guerrilla

I use two plastic pilot flasks in my chest rigs, along with a camelback on my back if I'm not wearing a ruck.

TR,

Sir, don't you have a chest rig without water on it? I think I have a pic of it on my other computer.

I love my CB,but my concern is that there could be a time where you take it off (driving) and then you are ambushed and have to e&e and aren't able to grab it. Without water on your 2nd or first line, you'd be fucked. It seems in alot of pics of guys in Iraq (contractors and army) that no one has any water carriers on their second line.

It would be nice to drop the canteens off my second line, but I could see where that would come back to haunt you.

Any camelback only folks out there?
Old 07-20-2004, 02:59   #7
TF Kilo
Guerrilla

I always wore my camelback. I harp on it to my guys to ensure they have water on. My boys are slowly learning to understand the whole "train as you fight" mindset.
TF Kilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 05:40   #8
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by BadMuther
I use two plastic pilot flasks in my chest rigs, along with a camelback on my back if I'm not wearing a ruck.

TR,

Sir, don't you have a chest rig without water on it? I think I have a pic of it on my other computer.
It had a Hydration Sleeve on the back before it ever left the house, and a .5 liter Platy in a pouch.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

Old 07-20-2004, 07:14   #9
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
I am a big believer in water. I would say carry it everywhere all the time.
Absolutely. The two things you never want to be without is water and ammo. How you rig it and how much you elect to carry is going to depend on your particular situation. The camel back came into the inventory long after I hung up my webgear and while it looks like an easy way to carry water I have often wondered if it is at the expense of being able to haul/wear other equipment. We used to carry quart canteens on the belts and stuff empty collapsables in our cargo pockets or rucks to be filled when we hit our last water source prior to occupying RON positions or moving thru uncharted areas where we were not sure we would be able to get water easily. Of course identifying water sources for replenishment is not only part of good planning for your own folks but also good planning in hunting down the advesaries who also need water.

Jack Moroney
Old 07-20-2004, 10:50   #10
BadMuther
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally posted by The Reaper
It had a Hydration Sleeve on the back before it ever left the house, and a .5 liter Platy in a pouch.

TR
Copy.....do you leave the camelback in the sleeve when you drive/ruck, or do you remove it?
Old 07-20-2004, 10:57   #11
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by BadMuther
Copy.....do you leave the camelback in the sleeve when you drive/ruck, or do you remove it?
It depends.

If I were humping a large full-framed ruck for more than an hour, I would take it off and put it in/on the ruck.

For an assault pack , I might take it off, depending on how it rode, and if I were humping the ruck, or just carrying it casually. If I took it off, I would put the bladder inside the ruck.

For driving in a vehicle with padded seats, unless it is absolutely full, I think it is okay. On a vehicle with hard seats, I would have to look at the length of the discomfort.

HTH.

TR

Old 07-20-2004, 10:58   #12
Solid
Guerrilla Chief

Can you sit with one of the slimline camelbaks in a jeep, or is it too thick?

Thank you,

Solid
Solid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 11:25   #13
BadMuther
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally posted by The Reaper
It depends.

If I were humping a large full-framed ruck for more than an hour, I would take it off and put it in/on the ruck.

For an assault pack , I might take it off, depending on how it rode, and if I were humping the ruck, or just carrying it casually. If I took it off, I would put the bladder inside the ruck.

For driving in a vehicle with padded seats, unless it is absolutely full, I think it is okay. On a vehicle with hard seats, I would have to look at the length of the discomfort.

HTH.

TR
Thanks for the reply Sir. I find that for myself, humping a ruck with a full camelback sucks.

Basically Mett dependent.

So where's the "camelback only" guys?...I know there has to be a few....
Old 07-20-2004, 13:37   #14
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by Solid
Can you sit with one of the slimline camelbaks in a jeep, or is it too thick?

Thank you,

Solid
Not sure, I'll have to go to the museum and check out a jeep.

TR

Old 07-20-2004, 18:48   #15
Solid
Guerrilla Chief

I used the generic term because I figure that humvees are not the only light vehicle used, and that even then they come as standard. I use an old (and thick) camelbak when freeskiing and its actually quite comfortable in cold, hard, helo or lift seats. I wear it underneath my ruck.

Solid
Solid is offline   Reply With Quote