Old 02-08-2010, 20:27   #61
DevilSide
Guerrilla

I couldn't find myself in the archive, but I never had my real name on there and maybe a few pictures, and not much of info about myself. This still a big threat? If so I would like help in correcting the problem if anyone can assist.
The general who advances without coveting fame and retreats without fearing disgrace, whose only thought is to protect his country and do good service for his sovereign, is the jewel of the kingdom - Sun Tzu
DevilSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 13:23   #62
Edgerusher71
Asset

I'm resurrecting a couple month old thread but I have a question about the SF recruiting teams that have facebook pages. I deleted my facebook long ago but I read this sticky again and re-activated to see if there were any SF pages, of which there were 10. Many of these pages contain discussions on how to prepare, advice, etc. There are even dates,times of SFAS briefings and even some pictures granted the names aren't tagged. Is it still a hindrance to have a facebook considering the somewhat concerted effort on the part of SORB to reach out those possible candidates who have facebook accounts? Before you are active duty/SF qualified anyway I searched and found TS' recommendation against the active guys creating one.
Old 04-28-2010, 17:29   #63
spherojon
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgerusher71 View Post
...to see if there were any SF pages, of which there were 10. Many of these pages contain discussions on how to prepare, advice, etc. There are even dates,times of SFAS briefings and even some pictures granted the names aren't tagged. Is it still a hindrance to have a facebook considering the somewhat concerted effort on the part of SORB to reach out those possible candidates who have facebook accounts? Before you are active duty/SF qualified anyway I searched and found TS' recommendation against the active guys creating one.
I looked into it and found this page...
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fort-B...?v=info&ref=ts

Hope I am not stepping on any toes here.
Old 05-13-2010, 20:08   #64
the cpl
Asset

Can someone tell me ?

I'm reeinlisting in the army after i got out on a med board and the recruiter is saying I will have to lose a rank to come in and do the 18x program. Is this true I thought when I reeinlist i keep my rank because it was a med board not ETS. Can someone please respecfuly help me. Even if I do have to lose a rank Im still doing the 18x program I have rehabilitated for 2 years just to get a chance to do this.
the cpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 04:34   #65
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

This thread is about the possible risk internet connections sites pose to SF and SF candidates, not about MEB's, reductions in rank on reenlistment, or fitness for SF.

You need to do more reading and less posting.

Crip

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 22:31   #66
the cpl
Asset

ok

You know I just had a simple question if you don't know the answer fine but don't be UN professional. I was just looking for info from more expierianced veterans who have been through SF.
Old 05-16-2010, 00:38   #67
geardo211
Asset

The reduction in rank is due to the amount of time that you were separated from the Army, not the fact that you have an 18X contract or were med-boarded. Please be mindful of the fact that we are not QP's, and are therefore guests here. I haven't been to SFAS, but I do know that in my unit giving attitude to someone who is offering constructive criticism will get you nowhere. You may be encountering many of the members here farther down the pipeline, and I doubt you want this to be their first impression of you.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:02   #68
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by the cpl View Post
You know I just had a simple question if you don't know the answer fine but don't be UN professional. I was just looking for info from more expierianced veterans who have been through SF.
Had you taken the time to familiarize yourself with our board, as the rules and stickies suggest, before jumping in with both feet it may not have been necessary to correct you in the first place.

Furthermore, I would heed geardo's advice... Remember you came to us, not the other way around...

Crip

Last edited by Surgicalcric; 05-16-2010 at 07:18.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:14   #69
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Facebook founder calls users "dumb fucks"

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/05...ok_trust_dumb/

Loveable Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg called his first few thousand users "dumb fucks" for trusting him with their data, published IM transcripts show. Facebook hasn't disputed the authenticity of the transcript.

Zuckerberg was chatting with an unnamed friend, apparently in early 2004. Business Insider, which has a series of quite juicy anecdotes about Facebook's early days, takes the credit for this one.

The exchange apparently ran like this:

Zuck: Yeah so if you ever need info about anyone at Harvard

Zuck: Just ask.

Zuck: I have over 4,000 emails, pictures, addresses, SNS

[Redacted Friend's Name]: What? How'd you manage that one?

Zuck: People just submitted it.

Zuck: I don't know why.

Zuck: They "trust me"

Zuck: Dumb fucks

The founder was then 19, and he may have been joking. But humour tells you a lot. Some might say that this exchange shows Zuckerberg was not particularly aware of the trust issue in all its depth and complexity.

Facebook is currently in the spotlight for its relentlessly increasing exposure of data its users assumed was private. This is nicely illustrated in the interactive graphic you can find here or by clicking the piccie to the right.

In turn, its fall from grace has made backers of the 'social media' bubble quite nervous. Many new white collar nonjobs created since the mid-Noughties depend on the commercial value of your output, and persona;l information. (Both are invariably donated for free).

But there's a problem.

Much of the data created by Web2.0rrhea is turning out to be quite useless for advertisers - or anyone else. Marketeers are having a harder time justifying the expenditure in sifting through the Web 2.0 septic tank for the odd useful nugget of information.

Facebook's data stash is regarded as something quite special. It's authenticated against a real person, and the users tend to be over 35 and middle class - the ideal demographic for selling high value goods and services. In addition, users have so far been 'sticky' to Facebook, something quite exceptional since social networks fall out of fashion (Friends Reunited, Friendster) as quickly as they attract users.

Facebook also has something else going for it - ordinary users regard it as the natural upgrade to Hotmail. In fact, once the crap has been peeled away, there may not be much more to Facebook than the Yahoo! or Hotmail Address Book with knobs on: the contact book is nicely integrated, uploading photos to share easier, while everything else is gravy. Unlike tech-savvy users, many people remain loyal to these for years.

Old 05-16-2010, 07:31   #70
LarryW
Area Commander

the cpl:

Advice fm an old non-SF fellow, if you're willing to listen. When the SF pros on this site give you advice it is refreshingly without varnish or butter. You're learning, and you shouldn't give up on yourself or the site, but thank these SF teachers in the process.

Now, pick up your ruck and walk...
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 14:44   #71
the cpl
Asset

thanks

I appoligize for not famaliarizing myself with the sit more. Thanks for the wisdom I don't take criticism well but I guess I should get used to it I thank you for it.
Old 05-16-2010, 16:19   #72
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by the cpl View Post
I appoligize for not famaliarizing myself with the sit more. Thanks for the wisdom I don't take criticism well but I guess I should get used to it I thank you for it.
Unsought advice:

I don't know a lot, but I do know this: if you have ANY hope of completing the LONG journey to being a QP, which begins - not ends - when you are assigned to a team, you had best learn quickly the art of not only accepting, but seeking out, criticism.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:40   #73
Edgerusher71
Asset

Adding to the wonderfully expansive world of facebook both of those other units are featured on multiple pages, including a rather popular page on Ranger Haney's book.

Oh Boy...

I retract questioning how parasitic this site can be.
Old 08-23-2010, 13:46   #74
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

And in other news...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/12/te...?_r=2&emc=eta1

Web Photos That Reveal Secrets, Like Where You Live
By KATE MURPHY
Published: August 11, 2010

When Adam Savage, host of the popular science program “MythBusters,” posted a picture on Twitter of his automobile parked in front of his house, he let his fans know much more than that he drove a Toyota Land Cruiser.

Adam Savage, host of the popular science program “Mythbusters,” posted a picture on Twitter of his automobile parked in front of his house that was geotagged.
Multimedia

How Geotags Unlocked a 'MythBuster's' Location

The ICanStalkU.com Web site provides step-by-step instructions for disabling geotagging on the iPhone.

Instructions on how to disable the geotagging feature of an Android phone.
Embedded in the image was a geotag, a bit of data providing the longitude and latitude of where the photo was taken. Hence, he revealed exactly where he lived. And since the accompanying text was “Now it’s off to work,” potential thieves knew he would not be at home.

Security experts and privacy advocates have recently begun warning about the potential dangers of geotags, which are embedded in photos and videos taken with GPS-equipped smartphones and digital cameras. Because the location data is not visible to the casual viewer, the concern is that many people may not realize it is there; and they could be compromising their privacy, if not their safety, when they post geotagged media online.

Mr. Savage said he knew about geotags. (He should, as host of a show popular with technology followers.) But he said he had neglected to disable the function on his iPhone before taking the picture and uploading it to Twitter.

“I guess it was a lack of concern because I’m not nearly famous enough to be stalked,” he said, “and if I am, I want a raise.”

Still, Mr. Savage has since turned off the geotag feature on his iPhone, and he isn’t worried about the archived photo on Twitter because he has moved to a new residence.

But others may not be so technologically informed or so blasé about their privacy.

“I’d say very few people know about geotag capabilities,” said Peter Eckersley, a staff technologist with the Electronic Frontier Foundation in San Francisco, “and consent is sort of a slippery slope when the only way you can turn off the function on your smartphone is through an invisible menu that no one really knows about.”

Indeed, disabling the geotag function generally involves going through several layers of menus until you find the “location” setting, then selecting “off” or “don’t allow.” But doing this can sometimes turn off all GPS capabilities, including mapping, so it can get complicated.

The Web site ICanStalkU.com provides step-by-step instructions for disabling the photo geotagging function on iPhone, BlackBerry, Android and Palm devices.

A person’s location is also revealed while using services like Foursquare and Gowalla as well as when posting to Twitter from a GPS-enabled mobile device, but the geographical data is not hidden as it is when posting photos.

A handful of academic researchers and independent Web security analysts, who call themselves “white hat hackers,” have been trying to raise awareness about geotags by releasing studies and giving presentations at technology get-togethers like the Hackers On Planet Earth, or Next HOPE, conference held last month in New York.

Their lectures and papers demonstrate the ubiquity of geotagged photos and videos on Web sites like Twitter, YouTube, Flickr and Craigslist, and how these photos can be used to identify a person’s home and haunts.

Many of the pictures show people’s children playing in or around their homes. Others reveal expensive cars, computers and flat-screen televisions. There are also pictures of people at their friends’ houses or at the Starbucks they visit each morning.

By downloading free browser plug-ins like the Exif Viewer for Firefox (addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3905/) or Opanda IExif for Internet Explorer (opanda.com/en/iexif/), anyone can pinpoint the location where the photo was taken and create a Google map.

Moreover, since multimedia sites like Twitter and YouTube have user-friendly application programming interfaces, or A.P.I.’s, someone with a little knowledge about writing computer code can create a program to search for geotagged photos in a systematic way. For example, they can search for those accompanied with text like “on vacation” or those taken in a specified neighborhood.

“Any 16 year-old with basic programming skills can do this,” said Gerald Friedland, a researcher at the International Computer Science Institute at the University of California, Berkeley. He and a colleague, Robin Sommer, wrote a paper, “Cybercasing the Joint: On the Privacy Implications of Geotagging,” which they presented on Tuesday at a workshop in Washington during the Advanced Computing Systems Association’s annual conference on security.

The paper provides three examples of so-called cybercasing that use photos posted on Twitter and Craigslist and a homemade video on YouTube.

By looking at geotags and the text of posts, Mr. Sommer said, “you can easily find out where people live, what kind of things they have in their house and also when they are going to be away.”

“Our intent is not to show how it’s done,” he said, “but raise awareness so people can understand their devices and turn off those options if they want to.”

ICanStalkU.com, developed by the security consultants Larry Pesce of the NWN Corporation in Waltham, Mass., and Ben Jackson of Mayhemic Labs in Boston, uses a more direct approach to warning about the potential dangers of geotags. The site displays a real-time stream of geotagged photos posted on Twitter; the person who posted the photo also gets a notification via Twitter.

“The reaction from people is either anger, like ‘I’m going to punch you out,’ or ‘No duh, like I didn’t already know that’ or ‘Oh my God, I had no idea,’ ” Mr. Pesce said.

In the latter category was Cristina Parker of El Paso, who sells appliances part-time at Kmart and also manages social media for small companies. ICanStalkU.com notified her last week that a photo she had posted on Twitter of her Chihuahua, Zipp, also revealed where she lived.

“I immediately tweeted back to find out what I can do about it,” said Ms. Parker. The site sent her a Web link to instructions on how to turn off the geotag function on her LG Ally smartphone. “It’s definitely good to know for me personally and because of my social media work, too,” she said

Because of the way photographs are formatted by some sites like Facebook and Match.com, geotag information is not always retained when an image is uploaded, which provides some protection, albeit incidental. Other sites like Flickr have recently taken steps to block access to geotag data on images taken with smartphones unless a user explicitly allows it.

But experts say the problem goes far beyond social networking and photo sharing Web sites, regardless of whether they offer user privacy settings.

“There are so many places where people upload photos, like personal blogs and bulletin boards,” said Johannes B. Ullrich, chief technology officer of the SANS Technology Institute, which provides network security training and monitors the Internet for emerging security threats.

Protecting your privacy is not just a matter of being aware and personally responsible, said Mr. Sommer, the researcher. A friend may take a geotagged photo at your house and post it.

“You need to educate yourself and your friends but in the end, you really have no control,” he said, adding that he was considering writing a program to troll the Internet for photos with geotags corresponding to users’ home addresses.

“I’m beginning to think there may be a market for it.”

A version of this article appeared in print on August 12, 2010, on page B6 of the New York edition.

Old 09-12-2010, 21:04   #75
Intel_Geek
Asset

It's possible I missed the answer on how SF Recruiting on FB is somehow not a direct contradiction to the advice/information provided in the initial post.

Worded differently: There are several SF Recruiting pages on FB. Is this a problem with regards to the initial public service announcement?

-mbs
Intel_Geek is offline   Reply With Quote