Old 11-22-2008, 13:32   #1
miggs
Asset

Needed support

I served three years active and got out in '06 but looking to re-enlist back in. I wanted to know if 89D (EOD) soldiers are ever attached to support any SOCOM units since they seem to fall under the SORB web site. Also, what MOS would be most beneficial to help fulfill the needs to support a SF unit, 35M (HUMIT) or 35P (cryptologic linguist)
Thank you
miggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 20:22   #2
exsquid
Quiet Professional

If you want to do cool guy shit as an EOD tech than join the Navy, much better opportunities than in the Army. I beleive the SOT-A guys are 35Ps. That is a good program at least in the NG anyway. There is a SOT-A thread around here somewhere with a lot of info.

x/S
exsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 22:34   #3
Mizzou
SF Candidate

There are lots of opportunities to work with extra curricular units in EOD. Without violating OPSEC, there are currently three units designated to support special missions. In addition to that, some units are currently assigned to support SF in theater. In the near future there will possibly be an EOD unit designated as support for each Group.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:29   #4
FearMonkey
Quiet Professional

It seems like you are asking what MOS is going to have you working closely with ODA's on a regular basis. IMHO the closest thing you will get to "team life" without going through the Q course is SOT-A. In theater you will work closely and in some cases co-locate with the ODA's, but be bringing a skill to the table so the ODA won't mind having you around.

Of course, like any job in the Army you won't be selected for good assignments unless you excel at your chosen profession. Just my .02