Old 08-27-2014, 23:00   #1
kcomfort001
Asset

Question

This may not be the correct forum but I wanted to get some feedback before committing.

I am the Older brother of Capt. Kyle Comfort who was KIA in Helmand Province, AF. He was a ranger with the 3rd Ranger Battalion out of Fort Benning, GA.

With is death I've been thinking about putting together a memorial tattoo to highlight his career and achievements, although I'm struggling with a creative way to do that.

My main concern is this, should I use any ranger scrolls/logos etc within the tattoo itself is this going to cause me grief? I want to honor my brother and am having a hard time coming up with ideas, this is the first thing I've ever wanted to tattoo onto my body and it be permanent. Keep in mind I won't be claiming any of this for myself as its strictly a memorial tattoo/sleeve that I kind of want to do in a creative shadow box type manner, use colors of his ribbons / etc as backgrounds.

Please share your thoughts, I would like to know if this would be considered a no no.

Thanks for reading.
kcomfort001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 05:24   #2
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcomfort001 View Post
This may not be the correct forum but I wanted to get some feedback before committing.

I am the Older brother of Capt. Kyle Comfort who was KIA in Helmand Province, AF. He was a ranger with the 3rd Ranger Battalion out of Fort Benning, GA.

With is death I've been thinking about putting together a memorial tattoo to highlight his career and achievements, although I'm struggling with a creative way to do that.

My main concern is this, should I use any ranger scrolls/logos etc within the tattoo itself is this going to cause me grief? I want to honor my brother and am having a hard time coming up with ideas, this is the first thing I've ever wanted to tattoo onto my body and it be permanent. Keep in mind I won't be claiming any of this for myself as its strictly a memorial tattoo/sleeve that I kind of want to do in a creative shadow box type manner, use colors of his ribbons / etc as backgrounds.

Please share your thoughts, I would like to know if this would be considered a no no.

Thanks for reading.
RIP Capt. Kyle Comfort
Vaya con Dios
RLTW

My condolences to you and your family for the loss of your brother.

If you are worried about "stolen valor", don't.. When you explain your tat, people will know you are not a poser. Provided you use the same explanation as you did here.

I would suggest you get a copy of your brothers records and use the scroll of his assigned unit. You can get the records by filing a Form 100 (see link).

http://www.archives.gov/veterans/mil...rvice-records/

I would also reach out to his unit and buddies for suggestions.

Additionally you may want to add his Ranger class number and his initials or name to the tat, and the date of his passing. This would stop any poser questions.

PS: You were sent an email about posting an introduction and filling out your profile. Please read and follow those instructions, before your next post.

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 14:00   #3
tom kelly
Quiet Professional

R I P Capt. Kyle Comfort.

Prayers out for your brother & his family.....tom kelly
Old 08-28-2014, 16:24   #4
twistedsquid
Guerrilla

How about a black and white portrait? Photo-realism? This is my plan when Defiant Bravo gets called up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg veteran 018.jpg (36.1 KB, 159 views)

"The wicked flee even when none pursueth". Proverbs 28:1
twistedsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 22:47   #5
kcomfort001
Asset

Sorry forgot to do it, just been lingering around here for a few years for entertainment.

I know he was in D Co. 3rd Ranger Bn. so I know the scrolls etc.. I'm still trying to put together things, I don't really want to do the whole portrait thing.. I like colors and such and I'm just not sure how I feel about having a picture on me.. maybe I'm just strange I guess.

Last edited by kcomfort001; 08-28-2014 at 22:50.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:59   #6
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcomfort001 View Post
Sorry forgot to do it, just been lingering around here for a few years for entertainment.

I know he was in D Co. 3rd Ranger Bn. so I know the scrolls etc.. I'm still trying to put together things, I don't really want to do the whole portrait thing.. I like colors and such and I'm just not sure how I feel about having a picture on me.. maybe I'm just strange I guess.
I don't blame you about the portrait. Of those that I have seen, over 50% are not acceptable.

Something to also think about,, Along with the tat..

My uncle, that I am named for, died during the first wave at Betio, in the South Pacific. He was not recovered. I found a fellow in ebay and he made a MIA bracelet for me. Might be something you and your family could share.

This is not the guy, but similar..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Military-POW...item27ea15deb4
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JBJ_MIA 001.jpg (47.6 KB, 100 views)

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 06:44   #7
blue02hd
Quiet Professional

Sorry for your loss,

Many of us can relate to losing close friends and brothers here over the past decade or so, and I have seen many fitting tributes in many different forms. Tattoos represent a permanent example that may or may not been seen depending on where you choose to place it. The bracelet, in this community is readily recognized and understood as well, yet is not permanent.

Blue

Verified Tax Payer and Future Sex Symbol
blue02hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 18:34   #8
kcomfort001
Asset

Yeah I already have a bracelet thing never comes off.. only piece of jewelry I wear
Old 01-04-2015, 17:32   #9
Ares6992
SF Candidate

It's not exactly what you asked about, and I know this post is a little old, but I happen to run across it today. I saw that you said your brother was in D Co 3rd Bat. My best friend just ets'd from there. I wondered if he knew your brother, so I asked him. Come to find out, my buddy served under him. He told me to tell you that he has your brother's flag and wings, and wants to know if you want them? If you do, let me know and I'll help you guys coordinate things.
Ares6992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 15:14   #10
kcomfort001
Asset

Thanks for reaching out to your friend, I even have a flag that flew over Bagram when all of this happened, its something I keep close to me