Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > TMC 14 > General Medical

Old 05-01-2018, 11:35   #1
rr123
Asset

Disqualified for "taking Dramamine in the last 3 years."

Hello Gentlemen,

I have been training for almost two years now to get ready for selection. I have been working with a recruiter with the 19th SFG in Utah to to get all the proper paper work done. I have ran into a couple of road blocks with ACL reconstruction surgery back in 2012, but I got that all cleared with the proper medical records before even going to MEPS. This last week I have made the steps to enlist with a REP-63 contract. They flew me out from California (where I live) to Utah for two days to do my ASVAB, OPAT, MEPS Physical, and swear in. I made it through everything including getting my ACL surgery checked off and cleared. However, I was disqualified for taking half a dose of Dramamine (over-the-counter medication for motion sickness) 48 hours within going into MEPS.

I do not get recurring motion sickness at all (I surf, kayak, and travel a lot on planes). I took this medication after my flight into Utah because I was slightly light headed in this instance and I wanted to prepare for my ASVAB the next morning without any distractions. I scored well on my ASVAB, however, the next day before doing the urine test I was asked to put down any medication taken in the last 48 hours. I put down Dramamine.

My doctor saw that I had taken Dramamine and said that I am disqualified. Not because I get recurring motion sickness, but because the rules say (and he showed me them) that “I am not allowed to join if I took any medication for motion sickness in the last 3 years.” The doctor saw this as an unfortunate coincidence and recommended me for waiver.

Now my recruiter said that I would probably get a medical waiver by the Army, however, I would probably not get a medical waiver by Airborne and suggested I should just go in into the Guard as an 11x, go through SFRE, and then selection. I told him that I want to stick with the REP-63 and give it a shot and see if Airborne will give me the waiver.

I have read a couple of posts on here and saw that couple of you guys have gotten med waivers from Airborne. They have been very encouraging to read. I just wanted to know if you think that I am likely to get one as well? Is my recruiter just trying to get me to sign up as an 11x? How should I go about getting the medical waiver from Airborne should my recruiter refuse to do the work or see me as a lost cause?

Thank you guys for your time.

By the way,

I have a cool recruiter and I believe that he is going to do the best he can to help me out. I just want to be prepared to do whatever I need to do to get the REP-63 contract.
rr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 17:03   #2
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr123 View Post
Hello Gentlemen,

I have been training for almost two years now to get ready for selection. I have been working with a recruiter with the 19th SFG in Utah to to get all the proper paper work done. I have ran into a couple of road blocks with ACL reconstruction surgery back in 2012, but I got that all cleared with the proper medical records before even going to MEPS. This last week I have made the steps to enlist with a REP-63 contract. They flew me out from California (where I live) to Utah for two days to do my ASVAB, OPAT, MEPS Physical, and swear in. I made it through everything including getting my ACL surgery checked off and cleared. However, I was disqualified for taking half a dose of Dramamine (over-the-counter medication for motion sickness) 48 hours within going into MEPS.

I do not get recurring motion sickness at all (I surf, kayak, and travel a lot on planes). I took this medication after my flight into Utah because I was slightly light headed in this instance and I wanted to prepare for my ASVAB the next morning without any distractions. I scored well on my ASVAB, however, the next day before doing the urine test I was asked to put down any medication taken in the last 48 hours. I put down Dramamine.

My doctor saw that I had taken Dramamine and said that I am disqualified. Not because I get recurring motion sickness, but because the rules say (and he showed me them) that “I am not allowed to join if I took any medication for motion sickness in the last 3 years.” The doctor saw this as an unfortunate coincidence and recommended me for waiver.

Now my recruiter said that I would probably get a medical waiver by the Army, however, I would probably not get a medical waiver by Airborne and suggested I should just go in into the Guard as an 11x, go through SFRE, and then selection. I told him that I want to stick with the REP-63 and give it a shot and see if Airborne will give me the waiver.

I have read a couple of posts on here and saw that couple of you guys have gotten med waivers from Airborne. They have been very encouraging to read. I just wanted to know if you think that I am likely to get one as well? Is my recruiter just trying to get me to sign up as an 11x? How should I go about getting the medical waiver from Airborne should my recruiter refuse to do the work or see me as a lost cause?

Thank you guys for your time.

By the way,

I have a cool recruiter and I believe that he is going to do the best he can to help me out. I just want to be prepared to do whatever I need to do to get the REP-63 contract.

I find this very difficult to believe, so I'm sure you're going to post the statement showing this disqualification.

Otherwise I'll be throwing the BS flag.
Old 05-01-2018, 17:36   #3
7624U
Quiet Professional

They pushed the easy button and made the Assumption you have frequent motion sickness. This is a disqualifier on the list they have if proven true. The doc just took the easy way because he sees large groups (let me guess it was a line behind you) and said next victim because you had evidence in your hand.

The recruiter, although he cannot issue a medical waiver himself, can take your medical condition or lack of condition up the ‘food chain’ and have it assessed by the MEPS Chief Medical Officer. If he/she feels that your condition isn’t a point of great concern to your service abilities, then you’re golden. Naturally, this process may require another visit to MEPS, further testing and evaluation, but it’s definitely worth the shot. Believe it or not, even if the MEPS CMO turns you down, you also have the option to take it past his or her level, a bit higher up on the chain. Persistence, at that point, does pay off.

"Me"
7624U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 23:13   #4
rr123
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7624U View Post
They pushed the easy button and made the Assumption you have frequent motion sickness. This is a disqualifier on the list they have if proven true. The doc just took the easy way because he sees large groups (let me guess it was a line behind you) and said next victim because you had evidence in your hand.

The recruiter, although he cannot issue a medical waiver himself, can take your medical condition or lack of condition up the ‘food chain’ and have it assessed by the MEPS Chief Medical Officer. If he/she feels that your condition isn’t a point of great concern to your service abilities, then you’re golden. Naturally, this process may require another visit to MEPS, further testing and evaluation, but it’s definitely worth the shot. Believe it or not, even if the MEPS CMO turns you down, you also have the option to take it past his or her level, a bit higher up on the chain. Persistence, at that point, does pay off.
Thank you very much for the advice. I really appreciate it. I will keep this in mind and see what happens with the current med waiver requests.
Old 05-02-2018, 05:31   #5
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Thank you very much for the advice. I really appreciate it. I will keep this in mind and see what happens with the current med waiver requests.
Not in the medical profession,, BUTT

I think you should spend time determining the cause of your fainting spells, and less on the use of Benadryl to mitigate the symptoms.

Dizziness/fainting, be it physical or mental, is a NO-GO in SF,, and for most Infantry assignments.

When the time arises, and we are about hop over the wall and do bodily hard to the bad guy(S),, I would not be happy with a troop that says,,

"Hold on, I need my Benadryl and may need to wait 20 minutes for it to kick in before I can join the fight"

or call in CAS
or the HALO jump
or set the demo charge
or start the IV and triage
or lock-out of the dive chamber
or peel the potatoes in the mess
or .........

Kapish??

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"

Last edited by JJ_BPK; 05-02-2018 at 07:15.
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 08:18   #6
rr123
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
Not in the medical profession,, BUTT

I think you should spend time determining the cause of your fainting spells, and less on the use of Benadryl to mitigate the symptoms.

Dizziness/fainting, be it physical or mental, is a NO-GO in SF,, and for most Infantry assignments.

When the time arises, and we are about hop over the wall and do bodily hard to the bad guy(S),, I would not be happy with a troop that says,,

"Hold on, I need my Benadryl and may need to wait 20 minutes for it to kick in before I can join the fight"

or call in CAS
or the HALO jump
or set the demo charge
or start the IV and triage
or lock-out of the dive chamber
or peel the potatoes in the mess
or .........

Kapish??
I definitely agree. I didn't need the dramamine. I took it because I felt a little bit light headed after my plan ride in. But that is not a normal occurrence for me. I saw it more as an annoyance while I was studying for my ASVAB the next day.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:22   #7
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7624U View Post
This is more likely the real answer. I used to fly a lot and never took meds. If you took one:

"because I was slightly light headed in this instance and I wanted to prepare for my ASVAB the next morning without any distractions."

Doesn't make sense, you don't take Dramamine because you're light headed. You take it as a prophylactic for motion sickness.

Try flying low level for hours packed in like sardines in a large cargo aircraft ...........
Old 05-02-2018, 18:42   #8
Joker
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
This is more likely the real answer. I used to fly a lot and never took meds. If you took one:

"because I was slightly light headed in this instance and I wanted to prepare for my ASVAB the next morning without any distractions."

Doesn't make sense, you don't take Dramamine because you're light headed. You take it as a prophylactic for motion sickness.

Try flying low level for hours packed in like sardines in a large cargo aircraft ...........
My 1st terrain flight in a C130, Hunter to Bragg, every seat taken, high winds, in flight rigging. EVERYONE except the pilots were puking. The garbage cans were overflowing. The Crew Chief and Jump Masters were puking out the doors. Puke all over the floors as we ran out of puke bags. (We need a puking emoji.)

The jump was canceled because we could not see the ground due to the high winds and bowing sand.

Dramamine would not have helped. Dramamine? Give me a break.

rr123, if you want to go SF, buck up troop. No whining. No excuses.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 09:37   #9
rr123
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker View Post
My 1st terrain flight in a C130, Hunter to Bragg, every seat taken, high winds, in flight rigging. EVERYONE except the pilots were puking. The garbage cans were overflowing. The Crew Chief and Jump Masters were puking out the doors. Puke all over the floors as we ran out of puke bags. (We need a puking emoji.)

The jump was canceled because we could not see the ground due to the high winds and bowing sand.

Dramamine would not have helped. Dramamine? Give me a break.

rr123, if you want to go SF, buck up troop. No whining. No excuses.
Couldn't agree more. I took it after the flight. It was more of a convenience then a need. If I knew that taking an over-the-counter pill was going to DQ me, then I definitely wouldn't have take in. Thank you very much for sharing.
Old 05-01-2018, 23:11   #10
rr123
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
I find this very difficult to believe, so I'm sure you're going to post the statement showing this disqualification.

Otherwise I'll be throwing the BS flag.
Sorry, but I have no proof to show you. He opened up a binder, read it, showed me, and said sorry I have to disqualify you for it.
Old 05-02-2018, 21:29   #11
Chucko
Guerrilla

Quote:
Hello Gentlemen,

the next day before doing the urine test I was asked to put down any medication taken in the last 48 hours. I put down Dramamine.

I would like to see documentation that says "No Dramamine" for 3 years previously. Doesn't make sense to me.

But needing Dramamine for gaining stability, I would stay out of airplanes.
Old 05-08-2018, 11:38   #12
rr123
Asset

Update:

I have been talking with my recruiter and we are going to send up a waiver for the army as an 11B. If that gets approved then we will send a waiver up to Airborne school.

My recruiter first said that I cannot get the Rep-63 even if airborne waives me. I asked why and was never given a clear answer. Now he says that I need to get waived as an 11B, then get waived by Airborne, but I will not get SFPC, SFAS etc. on my contract until I graduate OSUT, Airborne, and work with a Liaison in Fort Benning. So I asked if this is still a Rep-63. My recruiter said that it is.

I sense though that this isn't completely true. Everything I have ever read about joining the military always emphasizes getting what your are promised in your contract spelled out before signing.

I have been reading about others getting a waiver by Airborne for things like a past heart murmur and still getting a Rep-63. I am having a difficult time understanding why I cannot receive this contract should I get a waiver by Airborne.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance.

Sources:

Heart murmur waiver post:
http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...ad.php?t=48147

Reference for disqualification for taking motion sickness pill ( Pg. 18, 2-30, O)
https://www.calculator.net/pdf/r40_501.pdf
Old 05-08-2018, 16:48   #13
Joker
Quiet Professional

Never been a recruiter, but this doesn't sound right.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 18:18   #14
Chucko
Guerrilla

Quote:
Update:

Reference for disqualification for taking motion sickness pill ( Pg. 18, 2-30, O)
https://www.calculator.net/pdf/r40_501.pdf
"Wow" is all I can say. I can't believe they are that picky about everything.

I owe my boy an apology. He enlisted in the Army around 20 years ago. We dropped him off in the induction center in Milwaukee and within a week he was home. He was a smart aleck and I thought he just scammed his way out of there. He told us he got disqualified because of some back bones out of whack and I thought he was just pulling my leg.

After reading some of that physical calculator you posted, I don't see how anyone can make it in. Good luck in your journey.
Old 05-08-2018, 19:11   #15
7624U
Quiet Professional

Page 10. (5) History of penis amputation (878.0) does not meet the standard.

Who would have guessed you could have more than one.

"Me"
7624U is offline   Reply With Quote