Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 03-01-2012, 21:02   #1
ODA CDR (RET)
Quiet Professional

Help with water purification

I used the Katadyn back when they first were issued. Wondering what is being used now adays.
USA Ranger Assoc. Life member #LRR4625
DAV Life Member Chapter #46
"The 1000"
ODA CDR (RET) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 21:17   #2
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODA CDR (RET) View Post
I used the Katadyn back when they first were issued. Wondering what is being used now adays.
I like my MIOX, but it won't take the chunky parts out.

Quick trip through a stocking or a t-shirt while filling takes care of that though.

The MIOX uses a 123 battery and ordinary salt to make chlorine to treat the water.

There are a variety of Katadyns out there today, you just have to keep them relatively clean and safe.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:31   #3
Ghost_Team
Quiet Professional

I put this on the "Be prepared" thread, but there is a company out there called "Lifesaver." They make self filtering water bottles, jerry cans, and water packs. There is a presentation on TED that I had to watch for a college class, which is how I found out about them. According to the specs, each filter cartridge is good for several thousand liters of purified water, and it filters bacteria and viruses down to 15 nanometers. I showed the presentation to a couple of guys in the office, and they were all for it.
I took the one less traveled by
And that has made all the difference.

-Robert Frost "The Road Not Taken"
Ghost_Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:35   #4
ODA CDR (RET)
Quiet Professional

Thanks

Appreciate that sir. I would like to stay away from battery operated though. They might be hard to come by at the most inopportune time. This was the one I was thinking of, just wondering if there was as good for less $$$.

Katadyn Pocket Microfilter - Endurance Series Water Filter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Katadyn.jpg (1.7 KB, 160 views)
"The 1000"
Old 03-02-2012, 07:11   #5
Ghost_Team
Quiet Professional

The lifesaver one isn't battery operated.

http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/en/mic...er_filter.html

http://www.lifesaversystems.com/
I took the one less traveled by
And that has made all the difference.

-Robert Frost "The Road Not Taken"
Ghost_Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:17   #6
ODA CDR (RET)
Quiet Professional

Thanks Ghost Team

I was just getting ready to search 50 pages of being prepared! I appreciate it. Initial observation of the Lifesaver is the plastic construction equals short life span. I can see me cracking the bottle first time in the ruck.
"The 1000"

Last edited by ODA CDR (RET); 03-02-2012 at 07:52.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:04   #7
BOfH
Guerrilla Chief

QP ODA CDR,
If I may, when you have a moment take a look at http://www.justwater.me/ I have their water bottle and have tested it with some well water from a neighbor, it definitely works as advertised. CheaperThanDirt carries their product line.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:17   #8
ODA CDR (RET)
Quiet Professional

BOfH

Thanks, This product has the similar characteristic of Ghost Teams Lifesaver. Not comparing the capabilities of either. I would rather have a sturdy (metal) body for longer life and abuse capability. Also the need to constantly refill vs pump till you fill a large container of good water.
"The 1000"
Old 03-02-2012, 10:20   #9
Cake_14N
Guerrilla

Steripen

Steripen Sidewinder is a hand cranked UV water steri system. Does not take out the chunks, but definately kills anything with DNA/RNA. I use a Steripen on everything I drink out in the field after I use a katydin hiker to get rid of any solids.

The sidewinder will process 1 liter in 90 seconds. The Steripen website has viseo clips of their products on action. they even have a Solar powered version that charger the 123 batteries. I have it and althought the steripen works 100%, the charging system leaves a bit to be desired. It is much easier to carry a couple of extra 123 batteries as you get about 200 treatments per set of batteries.

Cake
I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.—The United States of America Pledge of Allegiance
Cake_14N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:25   #10
TF Kilo
Guerrilla

We have 3 purification systems we rely on:

MSR MIOX, as previously stated it *will* kill everything but you'll need something to filter muddier water with

MSR Miniworks filter pump. Interfaces directly to the Dromedary bags we have in lieu of camelbaks, gets pretty much everything out of the water and can deal with muddy water if necessary

Pro's for the MIOX are that it kills everything
Cons are that it takes batteries, needs salt to work, and requires more forward thinking along the lines of using purification tablets. You have to plan out your water resupply so that you hit a source before you need water, since it's 30 minutes to 4 hours depending on what threats are actually in the water. Muddy water isn't a huge concern considering that bandana's/cravats/fabric to prefilter is already something we carry.

The miniworks is a pump, so it's clean water ready to drink right now. It can't catch viruses in the water, so the MIOX takes the win if that's a threat in your area of use.

The third solution we use is purification packs from Hydration Tech. They're handy in that it's unattended water production and make essentially gatoraid. Open sealed pouch, take the pack inside, toss in water. Come back later, pick it up, cut open and pour into container. Works in any water, the big drawback is time. I don't rely on these as a primary water source due to it being about 10 hours to a quart of purified gatoraid-water, instead it's an augmentation to the MIOX and pump.

Future thoughts for us: The "Hyperworks" pump and gravity kit from MSR. This is a pump which performs the same as the Miniworks, but with the gravity kit it becomes an unattended water production solution. 4 liter bag that's always considered "Dirty". Fill the bag, connect filter to line, connect clean side of line to container. Hang up, .3 liters an hour without having to actually pump.

My thinking is that the gravity flow would be more appropriate in a situation where you know:

Your camp and water source are significantly separated
You want to minimize time spent at the water source for whatever reason
You plan ahead with resources IE multiple 5 gallon buckets to resupply with "dirty" water in quantity to filter back at home

Specifically, the gravity system seems to be a good solution in more arid environments such as where I am in Nevada. Camp up in the hills or whatnot, ability to move to a water source with a vehicle? keep some clean buckets, do a drive around every week or so to the lake/creek/whatever. Filter's doing the work while you conduct camp improvements, if you need more water sooner than the gravity system provides hit up your buckets with the pump/MIOX or just boil.

We only *carry* the miox and miniworks, though.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by TF Kilo; 03-02-2012 at 10:27.
TF Kilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:34   #11
PSM
Area Commander

I've been trying the Sawyer Squeeze system since last summer: http://www.sawyer.com/water.html#water1

Mine has 3 different sized mylar bags. They are a bit hard to fill from a shallow puddle (I use the cleaning syringe), noisy when squeezed, and can be punctured. They say that the filter can be attached to common drinking water bottles, but I have yet to find one that it fits.

But, they have other systems, based on the same filter, that include a replacement hydration pack.

Seems to filter everything and is guaranteed for 1 million gallons (not sure how you'd prove that though).

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote