Old 11-30-2014, 09:45   #1
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
New Best Pocket Friend, SIG P938

For 20 some yrs, my EOC has been one of the S&W J frames. The last 2yrs, it was the 342, 38+P, Ti/Si, ultra light @ 10.5 oz.

You can't beat the lightness, but the bark will bite. Given I have not exercised my CCW in public for almost 40yrs, I have lived with the bite, but Arthur Eyetis kept whispering in my ear..

My other J frames run in the 23-26 oz range, loaded. Nice but a bit lumpy when wearing shorts here in the South.

Was doing some research and came across a review of the SIG P938 vs Kimber SOLO. Both run under 20 oz loaded, but they are pricey.. The SOLO being DAO and the P938 a mini-1911 SA.

While visiting friends, my bud & I visited one of the big LGS in Jacksonville.

Low-n-behold,, I spot a used P938, laser, three mags, in the box, SIG factory nite-sights, built 03/2014. Asking 540, I'm OTD for 500 USD,, I B Happy... If it was actually shot, it had to be less the a box. There were no scratches on the blued barrel, now there are a few..

It is snappy, but not near the FUN of the 5rd, 10oz S&W. Caveat, I think anyone with wimp wrists problems will not like it.

The extended mag holds 7 rounds and allows a fair full grip. The short 6rd mag is only a two finger hold, but not UN-shootable.

I am not a LASER fan boy, but as this is a short range CCW, I installed it. I haven't shot with the laser yet. Thinking it is a nice option for low light, in home/car/back ally shot-m-ups..

The 1st couple of boxes all shot fine, with two FTE. I attribute the failure to break-in and the cheap aluminum cases.

My only complaint is the mag spring. IT'S A BEAR. I have never had mag springs this strong. I picked up a maglula universal 9mm-45cal loading helper,, good product. Problem fixed..

PS: The P938 came with those fat rubber grips. I changed them to a set on imported Teak..
PPS: This puppy is 9mm +p rated, not the .380 squeaker, that is so prevalent lately..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-11-30 004.jpg (67.5 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-11-30 002.jpg (107.0 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-11-30 001.jpg (101.9 KB, 83 views)

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"

Last edited by JJ_BPK; 11-30-2014 at 11:25.
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 12:00   #2
(1VB)compforce
Guerrilla Chief

What distance was the target?
Were those aimed or pairs? Draw or slow aimed?
What's the factory pull on the trigger?

I know it's first box (says it on the target ). Not looking at the variance so much as the groups.

I'm looking for a new EDC myself. I've been sold on Kimber for a long time and have a full size (Custom II) and a commander (Pro Carry). They are a bit bulky for me to carry without printing badly. I'm open to other brands. Did you fire the Kimber also? Was the price the only reason for this one over the Kimber or were there other factors?
(1VB)compforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 12:38   #3
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
What distance was the target? 25ft

Were those aimed or pairs? 2handed, aimed

Draw or slow aimed? No draw rapid fire.(as rapid as a 66YO FOG gets )

What's the factory pull on the trigger? Guessing around 5-7ilb, a little slop, but no over travel, crisp let off. Nice for a CCW.

I'm looking for a new EDC myself.

I've been sold on Kimber for a long time and have a full size (Custom II) and a commander (Pro Carry). They are a bit bulky for me to carry without printing badly. I'm open to other brands. The P938 is only slightly larger than the P238, Colt Mustang, or PPK. Profile is a tad thinner than the Solo and my S&W CS 9mm.

Did you fire the Kimber also? No

Was the price the only reason for this one over the Kimber or were there other factors?

The Solo loses ground, because I am not fond of DAO.. The price runs around 150+USD more. This P938 was a steal

Here are comp pics. The PPK is the new 22LR, w/10rd mag.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-11-30b 001.jpg (120.8 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-11-30b 002.jpg (108.1 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-11-30b 003.jpg (110.9 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-11-30b 004.jpg (100.2 KB, 37 views)

Old 11-30-2014, 12:54   #4
(1VB)compforce
Guerrilla Chief

Thanks, appreciate the info.
(1VB)compforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 17:46   #5
mdpatterson
Guerrilla

I've been debating this one for a while......

Heard mixed reviews and I have big hands. I'm used to shooting my 360pd, so not having a full grip isn't an issue. The extra magazine extension offered helps too. I keep going back and forth reading reviews. First time any carry pistol malfunctions due to anything other than my fault.....it is shelved. I'm going to have to rent one or find a friend who has one and just test it. Let me know if you get another shoot in and time for a range report.

Thanks,

Mike
mdpatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 18:16   #6
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdpatterson View Post
First time any carry pistol malfunctions due to anything other than my fault.....it is shelved.
Let me know if you get another shoot in and time for a range report.

Thanks,

Mike
Mike, That is why I have always carried the J frame, Will do another range report in a week or so..

I'll add, The SIG mag is actually a full 7rd. It is not the 6rd w/plastic extension, so you can get a good grip. The S&W CS9 could use 39xx 8rd mags, not unlike the short and long Glocks mags.

Last edited by JJ_BPK; 11-30-2014 at 18:19.