Old 08-31-2011, 09:21   #1
TOMAHAWK9521
Quiet Professional

Kill'em and Eat'em

I wish this article that my uncle sent to me had pictures to go along with the story. Still, it's a pretty cool story of nature's air combat. I didn't see this posted anywhere else and I figured it belonged in the "Feather" section since it involves hunting birds.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This came from a gent who runs a 2000 acre corn farm up around Barron, WI., not far from Oshkosh . He used to fly F-4Es and F-16s for the Guard and participated in the first Gulf War. His story:

I went out to plant corn for a bit to finish a field before tomorrow morning and witnessed The Great Battle . A golden eagle - big, with about a six foot wingspan - flew right in front of the tractor. It was being chased by three crows that were continually dive bombing it and pecking at it. The crows do this because the eagles rob their nests when they find them.

At any rate, the eagle banked hard right in one evasive maneuver, then landed in the field about 100 feet from the tractor. This eagle stood about 3 feet tall. The crows all landed too, and took up positions around the eagle at 120 degrees apart, but kept their distance at about 20 feet from the big bird. The eagle would take a couple steps towards one of the crows and they'd hop backwards and forward to keep their distance. Then the reinforcement showed up.

I happened to spot the eagle's mate hurtling down out of the sky at what appeared to be approximately Mach 1.5. Just before impact the eagle on the ground took flight, (obviously a coordinated tactic; probably pre-briefed) and the three crows which were watching the grounded eagle, also took flight thinking they were going to get in some more pecking on the big bird.

The first crow being targeted by the diving eagle never stood a snowball's chance in hell. There was a mid-air explosion of black feathers and that crow was done. The diving eagle then banked hard left in what had to be a 9G climbing turn, using the energy it had accumulated in the dive, and hit crow #2 less than two seconds later. Another crow dead.

The grounded eagle, which was now airborne and had an altitude advantage on the remaining crow, which was streaking eastward in full burner, made a short dive then banked hard right when the escaping crow tried to evade the hit. It didn't work - crow #3 bit the dust at about 20 feet AGL.

This aerial battle was better than any air show I've been to, including the war birds show at Oshkosh . The two eagles ripped the crows apart and ate them on the ground, and as I got closer and closer working my way across the field, I passed within 20 feet of one of them as it ate its catch. It stopped and looked at me as I went by and you could see in the look of that bird that it knew who's Boss Of The Sky. What a beautiful bird!

I loved it. Not only did they kill their enemy, they ate them. One of the best Fighter Pilot stories I've seen in a long time.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:11   #2
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Good post,very interesting,maybe if we did that to the Taliban they wouldn't F**k with us! ......... "Taliban stew",doesn't sound to bad does it?....... I mean all you snake eaters out there should relish something new!..........

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:55   #3
mark46th
Quiet Professional

I would like to see a video of this guy telling the story. Fighter pilots do a lot of talking with their hands...You have to handcuff their hands behind their back to shut 'em up...
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote