Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 03-21-2006, 14:33   #76
Slantwire
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
Drop a set of Superfeet or better yet, the Sole Footbeds in and get a decent pair of socks like the Ingenius and they are great.
Haven't tried the Sole inserts (yet). I'm a big fan of Superfeet. Gave my mom a pair for Christmas last year, she thinks they're better than the perscription orthotics she used to use.
Slantwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 12:38   #77
ccrn
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
The jungle boots, including the issue ones, have no cushion in the sole at all.

Drop a set of Superfeet or better yet, the Sole Footbeds in and get a decent pair of socks like the Ingenius and they are great.

Just my .02, YMMV.

TR
Sir,
Thank you for the advice-
ccrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 14:10   #78
TFM
Guerrilla

Does anyone have any advice on REALLY good cold weather boots?
TFM
TFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 17:58   #79
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFM
TFM

Good Cold weather boots.. Well what will you be doing and what is your price range too. Your active(s) will drive which kind to get.

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 18:57   #80
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFM
TFM
Try the search button.
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 09:18   #81
TFM
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGoat
Good Cold weather boots.. Well what will you be doing and what is your price range too. Your active(s) will drive which kind to get.
I need a combat boot that can keep your feet warm in the snow and on the ice. Cost is not an issue because replacement limbs will be much more expensive, although the Army would be the one to pay. I've tried lots of cold weather gear that did not actually work. Experience with the product is what I'm looking for as online searches don't tell you if they really work in sub-zero environments.

Thanks in advance,

TFM
Old 04-14-2006, 11:45   #82
Renee
Asset

I wanted to thank Java for originally posting this boot review. As with everyone else I have found the boots to be extremely comfortable from day 1, though I transitioned from jungles so perhaps it's not a good comparison. The only thing I would disagree with some on is that this boot seems fairly warm, which is good in the Oregon fall/winter/spring moderate climate or at higher altitudes in the summer but I'm not sure I will want to wear this boot in hot weather. I think I will want a cooler boot or one that breaths more freely for that. I will proably switch back to my jungles for summer low altitude jaunts. I would be interested in hearing any feedback from people who have worn them in 80F or above temps.

Overall (and for the price), I have had no issues with wear over hilly terrain with a 60 lb ruck (and some asphault, too) or foot warmth/dryness in the moderate rainy climate here. Thanks again, Java.

Renee

Last edited by Renee; 04-14-2006 at 11:54.
Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 12:10   #83
Renee
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiletto11
...If you are planning on ordering a pair you will find that most companies offering this boot have them drop shipped from Bates. This could present problems if you have to return them as it will slow down the process. If you take size 11 medium forget getting them until July 06 unless the company you're dealing with has them in stock. ...
I ordered mine through a local boot shop that sells Wolverine (since Bates is made by Wolverine) so I could get the sizing right. They did not carry them in store but they could order them. I then had a real person to go through incase anything was not right. This may not help you if youre outside CONUS, though.

Renee

Last edited by Renee; 04-14-2006 at 12:16.
Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 13:38   #84
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Cold WX Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFM
I need a combat boot that can keep your feet warm in the snow and on the ice. Cost is not an issue because replacement limbs will be much more expensive, although the Army would be the one to pay. Experience with the product is what I'm looking for as online searches don't tell you if they really work in sub-zero environments.
TFM sorry for the long post, didn't see this one.

Well, TFM were are you Operating, I mean altitude wise. That can drive what you need. If the Army is covering the bill I would go high end. But What type of area, environment, WX you going to be using them in will drive what I would get.

Let me know.

VG

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
Old 04-15-2006, 07:12   #85
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

advice 4 Cold WX Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFM
TFM
RL - Sorry I didn't find a Tread for Cold Boots.

TFM

IMHO if the money isn't coming from your pocket then go hit end. Look TFM, It really depends on what your going to be doing in them. SO I need that kind of info to drive in the kind I would get.

But MATF is the LHOTSE (now LHOTSE GTX) by La Sportiva. They are to me the best all around mountain boot. Covered on page 4 within this tread. PM MAX TAB about his use of them in the Mtn OPS for more Options. I like them because if you looking for some that can work in both flat land at no more than 70/80 Deg to (-) 70 Deg than this boot will do it. Wet, Cold, Snow, Ice (crampons too) to mud. This is for Mountain OPS, you can live in them for sometime. There a soft but hard boot.

Also here is a site (HANWAG) that will give you an idea of what style or kind of boot you should be looking at or for. It breaks down the boot type by the styles, this company if great. UK and the boots are pretty much handmade. So it can take some time to get them, but no more than any other. When I got some boots from the at that time they didn't do the GPC, we had to use an International Money Order. Just email or call them, they do mil/giv sale.

ASOLO are other good boot I have. I have the TPS 520 GV, not the best if you run into a little bit of snow and Temps under 15 Degs. Their just like the Raichle Yatna IIs IMO. Raichles are great trekking/hiking style boots. But not really great or good for mountain OPS in really cold wet/snowy areas. Love them both, but they both have there problems. See Kit Tips > Professional Gear > Raichle or Asolo? Tread for there info differences.

Another good place for buy or look at gear is Mountain Gear. Look that site over they have some good information too.

Without know what you kind of terrain your going into and what your doing I can only provide this. So let me know, PM and I'll Post what I can for others.

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Old 04-16-2006, 02:36   #86
TFM
Guerrilla

The specs on these have caught my eye. Really I wish they made the second boot in desert color.

Matterhorn 4949 Gore-Tex 200 Gram Thinsulate Desert Tan Boots

http://workingperson.com/products/22...Tan_Boots.html

Matterhorn 9800 Waterproof and 200 Gram Insulated Black Boot

http://workingperson.com/products/22...lack_Boot.html

DESERT TFX 8"
http://www.danner.com/products.asp?catid=12&prodid=2234
Old 11-20-2017, 01:52   #87
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

So I bought a pair of these back around the time the thread started. The soles just completely disintegrated on me, after fairly minimal usage. Normal with the age?

Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 04:10   #88
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguish Lawyer View Post
So I bought a pair of these back around the time the thread started. The soles just completely disintegrated on me, after fairly minimal usage. Normal with the age?

Sounds like a wiener.
Purchased in 2005
Good for 12 years..

Can you still spit shine them??

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:18   #89
PSM
Area Commander

My M-9s are the most comfortable footwear I've ever owned. My only complaint is the thin laces and eyelets.

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote