Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Gourmet Guerrilla

Old 12-18-2016, 13:16   #16
cbtengr
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyz View Post
^^^^brisket looks incredible !

Got the wife one of these - Thermapen- (a few years ago and prices have come down) and steaks and roasts have been great - have not used for smoking meat yet but would seem to work. Marketing propaganda says competition BBQ folks use them.

http://www.thermoworks.com/Classic-Thermapen
I got the Thermapen a long time ago, very accurate, one does not want to overcook good BBQ.
Old 12-18-2016, 18:44   #17
Divemaster
Quiet Professional

At nine hours the brisket began passing the probe test, even though the internal temperature had not risen in the past hour. At 10 hours, the IT was only up to 189 but the bamboo skewer was sliding in like butter everywhere I tested. This sucker was done, so out it came. I double wrapped it in foil and put it into a cooler to rest for two hours.

Really, it could have rested for at least another hour. When I cut into it, the end just fell apart. It was super moist and flavorful, but the downside is that there was really no smoke flavor. Reminiscent of a roast rather than something that came out of a smoker, it's possible leaving the full fat cap on might have hindered smoke penetration. No smoke ring was visible either. I didn't bother with pictures after slicing into it.

Removing the fat cap, I left the brisket sitting on the cutting board for about 30 minutes. Checking back, I found it had firmed up enough to get good slices. It will be good for sandwiches and French dips.

Next time I'll try a full brisket and trim the fat quite a bit before it goes in the smoker. This should help with bark formation and, hopefully, smoke penetration.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1st brisket done.jpg (65.0 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 1st brisket rested.jpg (63.3 KB, 22 views)
Old 12-19-2016, 01:21   #18
cbtengr
Area Commander

It looks great, one would think it would have a smoke ring on the non fat side. I love brisket but my only experience smoking one left me in no hurry to do another. Enjoy your efforts it can't be all bad .
Old 12-19-2016, 04:55   #19
Divemaster
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbtengr View Post
It looks great, one would think it would have a smoke ring on the non fat side. I love brisket but my only experience smoking one left me in no hurry to do another. Enjoy your efforts it can't be all bad .
It is most definitely edible, which I'll call a win considering what I've read about the first efforts of others. Even the non fat side didn't show a smoke ring even after almost eight hours of smoke. Weird.
Old 12-19-2016, 05:20   #20
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divemaster View Post
It is most definitely edible, which I'll call a win considering what I've read about the first efforts of others. Even the non fat side didn't show a smoke ring even after almost eight hours of smoke. Weird.
The way I do mine I start getting a good smoke ring at 11-12 hrs. I do it low and slow.... Flavor is the key not the way it looks.
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 05:56   #21
cbtengr
Area Commander

Looked back in my notes, the one I did was 11.3 #s I smoked it at a higher temp/less time. This was at 5.5 hours, used 1/2 doz small chunks of cherry on top of my coals. seasonings, garlic and onion salt and black pepper, no bbq sauce. I did rest the meat but according to my notes should have rested it longer. It was good but not Kansas City good. The pics are of the small point.

SM Flat.JPG

SM Ring.JPG
Old 12-19-2016, 10:57   #22
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

I wrap my brisket after 2-4 hours. It gets plenty of smoke in that amount of time.
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote