Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 10-23-2014, 04:32   #1
Pete
Quiet Professional

Fort Bragg cooks tested in Iron Chef competition

http://www.fayobserver.com/news/loca...d604b6c4b.html

"Sgt. Frank Arroliga slowly stirred a light brown liquid while his teammates from the 1st Brigade Combat Team, 82nd Airborne Division frantically worked behind him to crush peppermint candies and chop broccoli.

Arroliga planned to mix his concoction with cream cheese to make a dessert...."

This was the 2nd annual competition.

No cooks from SOF?

"...The cooks had access to ingredients in the kitchen, but they had to incorporate the eight mystery ingredients. Those ingredients were puff pastry, pinto beans, broccoli, peppermint candies, corn meal, iced tea powder, grapes and pollock fish...."
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 07:39   #2
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

You haven't eaten in the mess hall lately. Put it this way - I've been eating Nutrisystem for lunch since January by preference. Nuff said.
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:53   #3
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post

http://www.fayobserver.com/news/loca...d604b6c4b.html

"Sgt. Frank Arroliga slowly stirred a light brown liquid while his teammates from the 1st Brigade Combat Team, 82nd Airborne Division frantically worked behind him to crush peppermint candies and chop broccoli.

Arroliga planned to mix his concoction with cream cheese to make a dessert...."

This was the 2nd annual competition.

No cooks from SOF?

"...The cooks had access to ingredients in the kitchen, but they had to incorporate the eight mystery ingredients. Those ingredients were puff pastry, pinto beans, broccoli, peppermint candies, corn meal, iced tea powder, grapes and pollock fish...."

SF doesn't have cooks.......... All I saw cooking in Afghanistan were AF Support Troops, assigned to SOF. And even those were not "cooks". All they "tried" to do was make food safe to eat. If I told you what I witnessed in 5-6 SOF "kitchens" I'd be called on to testify before congress..........
Old 10-23-2014, 11:12   #4
Pete
Quiet Professional

Mess Sergeants

5th and 7th Group had some good Mess Sergeants in the late 70's to late 80's.

But it was a hot cold kinda' deal, you would go a few years with a string of bad ones, get a good one who flipped the Mess Hall upside down and threw out great service and chow for a year or so before some high muckety muck stole him away. Then it all went down hill for another cycle.

T-Rats kinda' put the end to any fancy chow away from home.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 11:25   #5
Streck-Fu
Area Commander

During my deployment on the USS Eisenhower in '98, we had a cook that went through the culinary college and some big North Eastern school (Syracuse maybe). They put him in the bakery .... Holy hell was that the best decision ever.
Every morning, the forward half of ship smelled like fresh bread baking.
Soft rolls, sandwich bread, and occasional pretzels and such....
The line started forming a good hour or two before chow opened.

They kept him there there the whole deployment and it was the best food I ever had on a ship.

The Flag Mess always had a young blonde female cook that cruise. Must have been a good chef as well.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Streck-Fu is offline   Reply With Quote