Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces Weapons > Weapons Discussion Area

Old 07-24-2014, 17:58   #1
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Silencerco Modular Shotgun Suppressor

Very cool!

http://www.silencerco.com/salvo?mc_c...eid=7b74fd04f1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxd5...eid=7b74fd04f1

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 21:16   #2
35NCO
Guerrilla

Silencerco is making some great products. I cant wait to see some solid db testing on this can. I trust silencerco, but would like to see some independent testing. Would also love to have a hands on look at what the inside of that can looks like. The rods remind me of the Delisle Carbine and various Russian Suppressors.

I have a feeling that it is going to be like OSS cans in that because it is modular you will need to buy the full 12 inch model in order to have all the parts. I do not know if they plan to sell the shorter models, but if they do, to add the other baffles may require more tax stamps per component. Its a neat idea, but gets very strange under that "silencer parts and components" piece of NFA/GCA. Unless there has been a major change since OSS floated the idea to ATF.

The only thing that might change all of it is Sig's lawsuit to ATF on the monolithic baffle stack on their gun. If that somehow rules in Sigs favor, there could be changes to the silencer parts and components part of NFA/GCA. Not sure how that would work, maybe a forced ruling by ATF. Depends how far Sig wants to push it. So far they have been flirting with ATF pretty aggressively recently. They did win on the Sig Arm brace, so who knows? Could be good stuff for NFA in the future for all manufacturers.

Last edited by 35NCO; 07-26-2014 at 08:30.
35NCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 04:31   #3
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35NCO View Post
Silencerco is making some great products.

I do not know if they plan to sell the shorter models, but if they do, to add the other baffles may require more tax stamps per component. Its a neat idea, but gets very strange under that "silencer parts and components" piece of NFA/GCA.
I have done a little reading about their 22 model Sparrow & Sparrow II upgrade. The upgrade entails cutting the older model tube to a shorter format. Silencerco says the NFA serial is on the outside tube of the can and the components are interchangeable.. No new stamp..

This may be how they can alter the Salvo 12??

It may be a case of you NEED the 12 (w/serial) so you can use the 6 inch??

Silencerco Sparrow upgrade program

I'm impressed with the Salvo vid, the slo-mo crack of the gun sounds quieter than the hit on the clay..

PS: Silencerco has a good youtube page..
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCui...UaW6qnMMp7XE7Q

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"

Last edited by JJ_BPK; 07-25-2014 at 04:34.
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 08:52   #4
35NCO
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
I have done a little reading about their 22 model Sparrow & Sparrow II upgrade. The upgrade entails cutting the older model tube to a shorter format. Silencerco says the NFA serial is on the outside tube of the can and the components are interchangeable.. No new stamp..
Yes, this is correct. The serialized part is the tube. That is what is in the NFATR. The problem is that the ATF sees anything "extra" as in baffles and certain types of extensions are regarded as "silencers" themselves.

https://www.atf.gov/files/publicatio...appendix-a.pdf

"Muffler or silencer
Any device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable
firearm, including any combination of parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for the use in assembling or fabricating a firearm silencer or firearm muffler, and any part intended only for use in such assembly or fabrication. "

This exists in this manner because at one time you could open shotgun news and on one page buy tubes with threaded endcaps, then on another page from a "different" seller buy the baffles that happen to fit that tube. A long while back at gunshows you could see sellers selling baffles and tubes on the same table or tables very near each other. Neither of which was considered a silencer at the time. It took prosecutions of constructive intent for the ATF to be able to get it changed. Basically, if you have parts A and B you intend to make a silencer. If you have a short silencer and thread on a part that makes it longer and or happens to contain baffles, you have made a NEW silencer.

There are some exceptions to some things like Nielsen devices, boosters, and thread adaptors.

How a SOT can work on Suppressors is covered here:

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/nat...silencers.html

"Q: May a repair change the dimensions or caliber of a silencer?

If alterations to a silencer would increase the overall length or change the diameter or caliber of a silencer, this is the making of a new silencer, as opposed to a repair. The new silencer must be registered and transferred in accordance with the NFA and the GCA. Alterations to a registered silencer that result in a minimal reduction in the overall length for purposes of rethreading are permissible as repairs. However, the reduction in length may not result in the removal, obliteration, or alteration of the existing serial number, as this would violate 18 U.S.C. § 922(k). If such a repair is necessary, the damaged silencer should be destroyed or returned to the registrant. If it is destroyed, destruction should be reported to the NFA Branch. Any replacement silencer must be registered and transferred in accordance with the NFA and the GCA. See also “May a Federal Firearms Licensee repair a silencer by replacing worn or damaged components?” and “May the outer tube of a registered silencer be repaired due to damage? If so, may the repair be done by someone other than the original manufacturer?” for further information on repairs."

Because of all this, I cant see how you can buy a component shorter than the full length device and simply purchase and or add parts that further diminish the report and add length, especially without new tax stamps.

Or Silencerco got some kind of ATF FTB letter that negates them from all of this. That happens sometimes too. If they do not explain this part soon, I will just ask them.
35NCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:26   #5
blue02hd
Quiet Professional

Take it!

!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg (45.5 KB, 22 views)

Verified Tax Payer and Future Sex Symbol
blue02hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 14:00   #6
caretaker
Asset

Here is SilencerCo latest marketing video: Johnny Dronehunter Defender of Privacy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIXwQVFt8Ho
caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 16:08   #7
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

LOL, very cool vid's!!! Love the drone hunter! May have to pick up a shotgun suppressor!