Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 05-08-2004, 14:46   #16
ccrn
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally posted by Surgicalcric
1.) Yes. The Wellco VCL-ICB's are initial issue boots now for all IADT students.

2.) With Frame. (Its ALICE as opposed to Allison)

Thanks-
ccrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 22:28   #17
ccrn
Guerrilla

I found the VLC-ICB on the Welco website, it looks about like a jungle boot with its cordura upper. Wellco states its a hot weather boot.

Is this boot practical in colder weather also?

ccrn
Old 05-08-2004, 23:01   #18
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

I wore mine thru most of the winter and did not have a problem with them not keeping my dogs warm. They are definately warmer than the leather leg boot that was/still is issued.

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 12:33   #19
ccrn
Guerrilla

I appreciate the answers you guys have given me. I'd like to clear a couple of things up just so I'm not operating under assumption.

The Wellco VCL-ICB is regulation and will pass inspection at SFAS with the Tuffkushion sole with V-Track? I've read elsewhere that instructors are very conservative regarding soles (standard issue) etc.

Also, with the Wellco VLC-ICB is it worth the trouble to have the toe and heel caps removed, or is this procedure more suited for other boots of somewhat different construction.

I'm on a budget and want to purchase two pairs to break in with the idea I can use them in service for awhile-

Thanks

ccrn
Old 05-09-2004, 13:25   #20
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by ccrn
I appreciate the answers you guys have given me. I'd like to clear a couple of things up just so I'm not operating under assumption.

The Wellco VCL-ICB is regulation and will pass inspection at SFAS with the Tuffkushion sole with V-Track? I've read elsewhere that instructors are very conservative regarding soles (standard issue) etc.
The Wellco VCL-ICB is being issued to IADT students and are being taken to SFAS by the 18X and REP-63's. I was told by TR when I questioned their use in SFAS that if they are issue I will be good to go with them.

Quote:
Also, with the Wellco VLC-ICB is it worth the trouble to have the toe and heel caps removed, or is this procedure more suited for other boots of somewhat different construction.

I'm on a budget and want to purchase two pairs to break in with the idea I can use them in service for awhile-

Thanks

ccrn
I would not be concerned with the toe and heel caps in the wellco ICB's. I would however invest in some good insoles for them though.

I hope this answers your questions.

Old 05-09-2004, 16:03   #21
ccrn
Guerrilla

surgicalcric-

Thanks for your replies. WOuld it be ok to PM you sometime?

ccrn
Old 05-13-2004, 10:52   #22
FullGallop
SF Candidate

Does anyone here know how they take the toe and heel cups out of boots? Just a curiosity mainly.

I think doing this is a personal thing but I'm with SC on what he said about insoles. Good insoles make a great difference even though the insoles that came in my Bellevilles were nicer than I had expected. I have kept the toe/heel cups in mine and don't find them a hinderance at all. This boot design (790/Wellco) is great IMO and no real modification seems necessary. In fact I would worry after wearing these boots for as long as I have that removing the cups would change the fit and therefore cause problems so far unseen.

take care....
FullGallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 15:43   #23
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

FG:

I would not recomend taking the heel and toe caps out of the Wellco ICB's or the 790 variant.

As for having them removed from leg or jungle boots; I can only speak from what I have been told but Clark's Boot Repair at Ft Brag removes the sole to decap/cup boots. I have heard others talk about cutting the inside of the boot with a razor and pulling the caps out with pliers/leatherman/etc... I had the heel caps removed from my leg boots by Clark's and they are much better on my feet.

Some people need them removed and some dont. It seems to be as varied as the type of insole people use... And on that subject I just got a pair of Superfeet Green insoles and these things are great. I may...may like them better than the Aero soles I have in another pair of boots.

I would get back with you guys on this, but I am getting pretty short and dont think I will be doing any rucking from here on out.

HTH.

James D

Old 05-13-2004, 16:55   #24
FullGallop
SF Candidate

Quote:
Originally posted by Surgicalcric
FG:

I would not recomend taking the heel and toe caps out of the Wellco ICB's or the 790 variant.

I would get back with you guys on this, but I am getting pretty short and dont think I will be doing any rucking from here on out.

HTH.

James D
I hear ya'! Are you planning on trying to get some off time rucking in during OSUT/BAC? I seems staying up to par before SOPC might be difficult though I plan on spending most of my free time training in one way or another. Realizing I dont want to burn out of course.

PS. Do you have any more drills before you ship?
Old 05-13-2004, 17:14   #25
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by FullGallop
I hear ya'! Are you planning on trying to get some off time rucking in during OSUT/BAC? I seems staying up to par before SOPC might be difficult though I plan on spending most of my free time training in one way or another. Realizing I dont want to burn out of course.

PS. Do you have any more drills before you ship?
I do plan on doing some rucking in the evenings during the AIT/Infantry School portion of OSUT as permitted by the Drills.

Well, there is a drill scheduled for 21, 22, 23 but I will not be attending. Too short to risk jacking myself up anymore. I should probably not even go back to the FD after last weeks fiasco...but I digress.

How about you? You have another one?

Old 05-13-2004, 17:28   #26
pbr549xxx
Guerrilla

Do you guys think that you will have that much time off during OSUT at Ft. Benning? I went through many years ago, but I doubt things have changed so much that trainees assigned to the ITB get free time or off time to run around Ft. Benning with a ruck on their back. You will have very little time without a Drill Sergeant around you, unless you are alseep. If things have changed though, let me know.
pbr549xxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 18:00   #27
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

pbr549xxx:

I have been told by several recent graduates of OSUT that there is some free time in the evening's after mid-cycle pass.

I dont know if it is true or not...give me about 13 weeks and I will let you know for sure.

Old 05-13-2004, 18:21   #28
FullGallop
SF Candidate

Quote:
How about you? You have another one?
Yes, one more. Starts tomorrow through Sunday. Camp D. is apparently hosting a couple thousand Marines doing a train up this weekend so were gonna be up in the mountains and far far away from the madding crowd

On another note, I was down at Ft. Knox yesterday and they are apparently doing OSUT there now as well. I did'nt really have time to check it out but there was a big sign posted out front of one office that read "OSUT/BASIC". Have you heard anything about this spreading to places other than Benning?
Old 05-13-2004, 18:40   #29
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

I am going to try to field your question FG.

OSUT (One Station Unit Training) means you will have BCT and AIT at the same installation with the same privates and DS's.

19-series MOS's go thru OSUT at Ft Knox.

11-series at Ft Benning.

12-series at Ft Leonard Wood

Old 05-13-2004, 19:21   #30
FullGallop
SF Candidate

Got it thanks. I knew what OSUT was but did'nt realize it was for anything but 11 series folks. Makes sense now.

take care....