Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Area Studies > Africa

Old 10-26-2008, 13:26   #1
bost1751
Quiet Professional

Ethiopia

Does anyone know much about Ethiopia? I'll be finding all about it first hand in the very near future, but would apprciate any info anyone may have. I will be in Adis Ababba the majority of the time. My SF trips seem to carry over to civilian life. The world is full of great places but somehow I always find myself to the opposites on occasion.
Thanks.
bost1751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 06:28   #2
GreenSalsa
Quiet Professional

I spent three months there teaching ATLS to physicians in the mid 90s

Remember you will be at altitude, just over 8,300 feet if I recall--plan accordingly.

The Ethiopians themselves are very proud of not being a colonized nation, they also point out that they are the oldest christian nation.

They are runners--and I mean RUNNERS (who do you think wins darn near EVERY marathon). While the contingent of medics I was with taught at the hospital, a second group of trainers taught down in Debra Zete some basic infantry tasks / units. Someone got the bright idea of trying to do combined PT (USSF and Ethiopians). Don't make that mistake UNLESS you can run sub 5 min miles without stopping forever. Luckily, the Ethiopians couldn't do 5 pushups without collapsing so the combined formation would run like the wind for a mile (with USSF sucking air), stop for 5 min to do sets of pushups (with Ethiopians quivering on the ground) and the process repeated itself.

The other thing I remember is they have a unique habit of taking a sharp breath inwards while listening to you (sorta like a startle reflex--American style). It means nothing but takes some time getting used to. Its just their way of saying uh-huh or yea.

Also one final piece of advice, there are a LOT of scam artists out there. We hooked up with a local charity and bought some vouchers for food / meals. We passed that out instead of money. The really needed loved that--the scams would turn it down.

Overall--staunch ally--who else is willing to go into Somalia and kick the crap out of people we can't touch.

Have fun, work out, and take a PT test when you get back. We ALL dropped like a solid minute or two from our runs when we got back after 3 months there.

If you need more--drop me an email

GreenSalsa