Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 12-06-2017, 08:06   #1
Chucko
Guerrilla

WTF, Does Everyone have PTSD

I feel for anyone who has to go through this stuff, but is PTSD just the latest monetary scam on society?? It seems everyone has it or are people just snowflakes.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/12/06...nsion-cut.html

A police officer who responded to last year's Pulse Nightclub massacre in Florida is being dismissed -- just six months before being eligible to receive pension benefits.

Cpl. Omar Delgado of the Eatonville Police Department was told Monday that his last day would be Dec. 31.

Six more months would have allowed the 45-year-old officer to collect 64 percent of his salary, plus benefits, for life. Instead, he will now receive only 42 percent of his salary starting at age 55, the Orlando Sentinel reported.

The officer claims the department made the decision after a doctor found him unfit to return to full duty because of post-traumatic stress disorder.

The department did not confirm Delgado’s claim but Deputy Chief Joseph Jenkins said the department reached an agreement with Delgado to end his employment, the Sentinel's report said.

Delgado was among the first police officers on the scene June 12, 2016, after a gunman killed 49 people and left 68 wounded. He was praised for helping to save the life of Angel Colon, who had been shot several times.

Delgado now suffers from PTSD. A few months after the shooting, he returned to his patrol job but soon had to stop because memories from the bloody nightclub scene haunted him.

“Too many people. God forbid, something happens — I don’t know if I’d be able to react,” Delgado said speaking about being fearful even going to restaurants and bars.

For the last eight months, Delgado has worked a desk job but will be unable to reap the benefits of his pension when he is let go by the end of the month after nearly 10 years on the job.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:41   #2
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Consequences

Consequences

When you decide you want the PTSD meal ticket it comes with consequences.

And a “cop” doesn’t know this?

I'm sure if he does a go fund my support chicken he'll end up with a million plus.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:55   #3
bblhead672
Area Commander

Sometimes sheep dogs are actually sheep who think they are sheep dogs. This officer found the point in the sheep dog job that he could no longer function in his imagined role.

Perhaps he really does have PTSD, what he witnessed wasn't normal. Wish him luck in his recovery and new role in life.
bblhead672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:05   #4
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
I read two distinct parts to your question..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucko View Post
I feel for anyone who has to go through this stuff, but is PTSD just the latest monetary scam on society?? It seems everyone has it or are people just snowflakes.
1)Yes, in a lot of instances, PTSD is being used to scam who ever has money to grab..

No, not everyone has it. PTSD is real for some. There are test one can use to TRY to determine if a person had the prerequisites for the development of PTSD. Putting a person thru a test environment that stresses them to the breaking point.. Some would suggest SERE level xxx can and has been use to do just that. BUT it's not a science and results are iffy. A person that passes,, may be a complete psycho..

Snowflakes should not be grouped with individuals with PTSD. One is an environmental problem, the other is a true mental health issue..

Quote:
The officer claims the department made the decision after a doctor found him unfit to return to full duty because of post-traumatic stress disorder.

The department did not confirm Delgado’s claim but Deputy Chief Joseph Jenkins said the department reached an agreement with Delgado to end his employment, the Sentinel's report said.

Delgado was among the first police officers on the scene June 12, 2016, after a gunman killed 49 people and left 68 wounded. He was praised for helping to save the life of Angel Colon, who had been shot several times.

Delgado now suffers from PTSD. A few months after the shooting, he returned to his patrol job but soon had to stop because memories from the bloody nightclub scene haunted him.

“Too many people. God forbid, something happens — I don’t know if I’d be able to react,” Delgado said speaking about being fearful even going to restaurants and bars.

For the last eight months, Delgado has worked a desk job but will be unable to reap the benefits of his pension when he is let go by the end of the month after nearly 10 years on the job.
2) Officer Delgado may be a person that has true(SIC) PTSD, as there is no doubt the he walked in on a horrific scene. And it is now haunting him. Police departments don't have SERE classes..

As one that has experience similar, my condolences to the officer and the rest of his department.

As to the department firing the officer?? Extremely poor judgement on their part. I suspect the PBA will fight for his benefits.

I have a relative that had volunteered for the Boston Marathon aid tent at the finish line. She is an certified ER doctor. She can slice-n-dice, glue & patch with the best.. She has had recurring problems in the last 3+yrs. Fortunately they are mild at this time..

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:22   #5
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

That's what happens when the standards are lowered to the point that anyone can make the cut, including snowflakes.
Add to that I'd guess that 90+ percent of the shrinks are extreme left of center and they are going to pass judgement on everyone that comes in crying. And it's a win-win for the BMW driving shrinks, they now have a customer for life.

And that's another thing I throw the bullshit flag on, PTSD for life....... absolute bullshit.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:17   #6
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

"I give the enemy PTSD." TS
Old 12-07-2017, 10:33   #7
rsdengler
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
"I give the enemy PTSD." TS
LOL...HEE, HEE....I cannot stop laughing at that comment.....

-Benjamin Franklin

Rita
rsdengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:45   #8
JimP
Quiet Professional

PTSD is a cottage industry within the SFL - TAP program these days. I can't tell you how many hacks "coached" us to claim PTSD and a host of ailments when I retired. For what reason...?? I don't know. it seems suicidal. It's along the lines of the hacks who coached everyone to claim "Sleep Apnea". If you are a fat-phuc, you may have sleep issues but they aren't "service connected"; it's because you are a fat-phuc. It's all about the snowflakes gaming the system nowadays.

All of us are stressed. Just the act of breathing stresses us in some way. Most of us have had some traumatic stress at some point in our lives. The question is: "does it become a "disorder"? Most can deal with the stress where it is not - or does not become - a disorder; we can live our lives and get healthy acknowledging it and dealing with it.

To claim no stress is being a sociopath.
JimP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:54   #9
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
To claim no stress is being a sociopath.
Wait, What?

Old 12-07-2017, 14:37   #10
JimP
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
Wait, What?

Yeah but you look fabulous doing it....

You ever get those pastel meat cleavers...?? (running for the bunker)
JimP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 15:43   #11
Flagg
Area Commander

Our NCO founded and run Veteran support charity down here almost exclusively uses PTSI for Injury, as injuries often heal which implies recovery.

I'm not a fan of D for Disorder.....that implies permanence.
Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 17:31   #12
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagg View Post
Our NCO founded and run Veteran support charity down here almost exclusively uses PTSI for Injury, as injuries often heal which implies recovery.

I'm not a fan of D for Disorder.....that implies permanence.
Could not agree more. Telling someone they have a permanent mental disability that cannot be overcome is bullshit.

Throughout history hundreds of millions have learned to deal with their traumatic memories.

Then again, America is a nation of snowflakes and greedy narcissistic psychologists and psychiatrist.........
Old 12-07-2017, 17:40   #13
PRB
Quiet Professional

I got PTSD reading about all of the folks with PTSD
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 17:47   #14
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
Yeah but you look fabulous doing it....

You ever get those pastel meat cleavers...?? (running for the bunker)

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...t=10561&page=8

Biological and Psychological...

I always love when Doc's refer to us sociopaths or psychopathic (but in a good way right?).

i.e.
http://mindwarriors.typepad.com/mind...aths_vs_p.html

"To further illustrate this idea of sociopath vs. psychopath lets indulge in a few hopefully recognizable and easily understood societal archetypes. A Special Forces soldier, military snipers, intelligence operatives are in my opinion examples of socially accepted psychopaths whose focus is on their interpretations of God, country and perhaps family. It is their intent, rationale and espoused beliefs that gives them acceptance within our society. These individuals focus on their code of honor, something noble, consequently they are able to kill when necessary, gather intelligence, exploit others and gain information by what may appear to be nefarious means all in the name of what they deem as their higher goals. The danger is clearly evident when people in government rationalize their militaristic posture or domestic policies regarding the citizenry's right to know or protest as somehow unpatriotic, cowardice or tools of subversives. The point is that a psychopath is not necessarily a cold-blooded killer in many instances although I would say that all cold-blooded killers are definately psychopaths or sociopaths."

or...
http://murderousmusings.blogspot.com...ychopathy.html

"The Fearless Dominant type (which I will call the FD type for simplicity's sake) is often a paradoxical mix of charm and nastiness. Cool and calm under pressure, the FD type is not easily rattled. They lack the same kind of anticipatory anxiety that most people have, so instead of thinking, "What? Jump out of a perfectly good airplane?", the FD type just thinks, "Cool!" Fearless Dominance is associated with a number of things our society considers desirable or good: high verbal I.Q., high performance, and economic success. The FD type is often charming and socially influential. He or she relishes directing other people's activities and basking in their admiration. The FD type is sexually adventurous and often takes risks. It's not that they can't feel fear or anxiety; it's just that it takes a much more extreme situation to elicit those emotions. FD types live for the thrill, the excitement, the adrenaline rush. With proper parenting and a nurturing environment, an FD type might become a fireman or policeman. As Dr. Benning said, if you were assembling a Special Forces team, you would want to screen for people high in fearless dominance."
Old 12-07-2017, 19:28   #15
Slowmoe
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
That's what happens when the standards are lowered to the point that anyone can make the cut, including snowflakes.
Add to that I'd guess that 90+ percent of the shrinks are extreme left of center and they are going to pass judgement on everyone that comes in crying. And it's a win-win for the BMW driving shrinks, they now have a customer for life.

And that's another thing I throw the bullshit flag on, PTSD for life....... absolute bullshit.
A classmate of mine had a medical retirement from the Navy, was a fleet marine corpsman, for PTSD in 2013. Just this month they re-evaluated him and he was removed from the medical retired list. He was given a severance pay and thats it.

He is the second person I know that this has happened too. Two isn't a trend but a step in the right direction to weed out the passengers on the PTSD money train.
Slowmoe is offline   Reply With Quote