Go Back   Professional Soldiers > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > 18C

Power Supply
Old 04-17-2012, 20:27   #61
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Power Supply

Power supply needs.

For anyone that had been on a Fire base will know that power is key with all the crap we are doing now. No all the Power Point shows we have to send up.

I know generators are hard to come by, but with the whole contracting thing. But outside of having to wait on that contractor to get on that ring flight. What have you done our been doing.

I'm looking at making our living areas out of the 20ft SEALAND containers with independent break panels so if the containers ever have to be moved you just disconnect the SEALAND break from the generator main breaker panel.
Heck has anyone (FOO) been able to buy a large generator 35KWa to 50KWa in Afghanistan lately?

Looking to see what others had done OIF or OEF or elsewhere as far as power.

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.

Last edited by MtnGoat; 04-17-2012 at 20:29.

Old 04-17-2012, 20:41   #62
Brush Okie
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGoat View Post
Power supply needs.

For anyone that had been on a Fire base will know that power is key with all the crap we are doing now. No all the Power Point shows we have to send up.

I know generators are hard to come by, but with the whole contracting thing. But outside of having to wait on that contractor to get on that ring flight. What have you done our been doing.

I'm looking at making our living areas out of the 20ft SEALAND containers with independent break panels so if the containers ever have to be moved you just disconnect the SEALAND break from the generator main breaker panel.
Heck has anyone (FOO) been able to buy a large generator 35KWa to 50KWa in Afghanistan lately?

Looking to see what others had done OIF or OEF or elsewhere as far as power.
Why not just steal shit from the Air Force.

All joking aside. I have some banjo picking hillbilly relatives that live in the mountains so these types of problems are not new to me. What about getting a generator off of a vehicle, power up some deep cycle batteries with it using either a gas motor or wind power then use a power converter to make the power you need? Most if not all the stuff you need could be cannibalized off of vehicles.

Old 04-17-2012, 20:58   #63
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brush Okie View Post
Why not just steal shit from the Air Force.

All joking aside. I have some banjo picking hillbilly relatives that live in the mountains so these types of problems are not new to me. What about getting a generator off of a vehicle, power up some deep cycle batteries with it using either a gas motor or wind power then use a power converter to make the power you need? Most if not all the stuff you need could be cannibalized off of vehicles.
Heck is I was am electrical engineer maybe I could cannibalized off of vehicles to make a generator. Not happening, to much work. Batteries only work for short periods IMO. Thanks tho.

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.

Agribusiness Development Teams
Old 04-18-2012, 22:26   #64
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Agribusiness Development Teams

Has anyone worked with any National Guard's Agribusiness Development Teams?

Looking to see if anyone would know how to contract the Agribusiness Development Team HQ within the National Guard Bureau. Looking to see about get data for a providence.

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

cookbooks
Old 05-10-2012, 18:02   #65
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

cookbooks

Ok.. I figured I'd put this here because of the reason. I'm looking fire a good overall cookbook. Maybe it could be the old fashion betty crocker ones. Maybe I'm will need to get 2 or 3 books.

I'm looking for something that would cover cooking basics to cooking from scratch.

Hey we look at it add.. You can kill it you can grill it. Its everything in between.

Any suggestions?

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Last edited by MtnGoat; 05-10-2012 at 18:08.

Old 01-23-2014, 19:38   #66
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Thought of putting this in Redneck Engineering. But thought this needed a bump
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (132.1 KB, 49 views)

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Old 01-23-2014, 20:58   #67
Brush Okie
Area Commander

Quote:
Ok.. I figured I'd put this here because of the reason. I'm looking fire a good overall cookbook. Maybe it could be the old fashion betty crocker ones. Maybe I'm will need to get 2 or 3 books.

I'm looking for something that would cover cooking basics to cooking from scratch.

Hey we look at it add.. You can kill it you can grill it. Its everything in between.

Any suggestions?

Here is a couple of videos on cooking in the outdoors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TvE5jv4KPo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQqZfeM6_4s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayKMitUKz-g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMg2ZuxsKd0

Also look for a book on dutch oven cooking.

I should ask my mom to write a book about outdoor cooking. Before I was born my parents lived in the mountains with no electricity and they cooked in front of the cabin over an open fire most of the time. It is a shame a lot of these basic skills we have lost as a society. Hell my dad didn't have indoor toilet until he was 17. Amazing how spoiled we have become including me. I look back at how I grew up and a lot of those outdoor skills I have not used in so many years I have forgotten many of them. Now I am pissed if I don't have internet access.

Hit up some used book stores and thrift stores. The foxfire books are good as well. If you are still at Bragg take a trip to the hills and talk to the old folks and see what you can learn from them. They are a wealth of knowledge and usually more than happy to have someone to talk to. I really enjoy talking to the old folks and hearing their stories. It is amazing what you can learn from them.

Old 01-23-2014, 21:09   #68
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Here is one for you.

Think this couldn't make a difference?

The business model is to sell someone in the community one of these water purifiers for a small fee ($80-$100), and then let them provide safe water to the community, for a smaller fee.

It produces enough chlorine per six minute run to treat 55 gallons of water.

All you need is the device, salt, a 12v. battery, and a few drops of water.

Every ODA should have several of these to take on any deployment.

TR
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Electrochlorinator SE200 fact sheet.pdf (1.45 MB, 61 views)
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2017

Old 02-07-2014, 18:40   #69
Mills
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Thought of putting this in Redneck Engineering. But thought this needed a bump
Nice. Certainly looks like a great field shower............Or a great addition to a fish cleaning/field dressing station without running water.

Old 02-07-2014, 21:42   #70
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Here is one for you.

Think this couldn't make a difference?

The business model is to sell someone in the community one of these water purifiers for a small fee ($80-$100), and then let them provide safe water to the community, for a smaller fee.

It produces enough chlorine per six minute run to treat 55 gallons of water.

All you need is the device, salt, a 12v. battery, and a few drops of water.

Every ODA should have several of these to take on any deployment.

TR
Kool Little set up this thing has. I agree every ODA should have this if not in the medical kit or as an additional item was like a FORCEMOD or G8 action needed here.

Nice post TR!

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Old 02-07-2014, 22:34   #71
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Kool Little set up this thing has. I agree every ODA should have this if not in the medical kit or as an additional item was like a FORCEMOD or G8 action needed here.

Nice post TR!
No worries, hermano.

The vendor said they were asked to upsize the MSR MIOX water purifier. He also said that the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation paid for the design and initial production.

It will make chlorine for purifying as long as you have salt, a battery, and water, for very little investment.

Can you imagine providing villagers with a simple and inexpensive way to kill the bacteria in their water in less than an hour? Zero to hero, brother.

Glad you liked it.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2017