Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Soapbox

Old 06-29-2007, 08:26   #1
82ndtrooper
BANNED USER

Angry CCW List published yet again.

In yet another desperate attempt to demonize gun owners, specifically those gun owners that currently hold a cary concealed permit, the Sandusky Register of Sandusky, Ohio decided to publish a list of permit holders in their area.

Is this the first time such a move has happened ? No it's not. The inherent danger in publishing such a list should be common sense right ? Apparently not with the writers of the Sandusky Register.

The Buckeye Firearms Protection website has just given a chilling look into the dangers of publishing what is considered *public information* without ever considering the consequences.

When you're done reading this story, please send it to a friend!

By Ken Hanson

By publishing lists of persons who have obtained concealed handgun licenses, newspapers such as the Sandusky Register have taken private, non-public record information and made it public. Specifically, because of their actions, the general public may now know who owns and may or may not carry a gun. Additionally, the general public now knows who is not carrying a gun in their day to day activities.

Beyond the fact that the Register has now made public that which statutorily was not to be public, what harm can come from this? Buckeye Firearms Association previously brought you the story of a prison guard who was tracked down by a former inmate by using a concealed carry license list published in the local paper. However, beyond this explicit example, the general public remains largely unaware of just how much harm can come from this.

So, as a service to our readers, we have prepared an example by using Sandusky Register Editor Matt H. Westerhold. We have selected him simply because the paper has pointed to him as the one “responsible” for the decision to publish the lists. However, it would have been just as easy, and valid, to do it with Register publisher Doug Phares or Register owner David Rau (or, for that matter, decision-makers at the Cleveland Plain Dealer, NBC24 Toledo, the Lorain Morning Journal, the Sidney Daily News, the Toledo City Paper, the Troy Daily News and the Warren Tribune-Chronicle, who have also irresponsibly acted to release this private information on at least one occasion in the past).

Click 'Read More' for the entire commentary.

IT IS CRITICAL THAT THE READER UNDERSTAND THAT THE FOLLOWING EXAMPLE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH PUBLIC RECORDS LAWS. It is clear that the information we gathered is public record, and concealed carry law has nothing to do with this. We readily concede that all of the information we used is available now, and anyone can find this type of information on a neighbor with very little effort. The difference is that the bad guy would have no reason to target person X instead of person Y for this type of scrutiny. THE SIGNIFICANCE OF THIS EXAMPLE IS THAT THE SANDUSKY REGISTER HAS IDENTIFIED A LIST OF VICTIMS FOR SOMEONE WHO HAS AN INTEREST IN GUN OWNERS OR CONCEALED CARRY LICENSEES. OTHERWISE, THE BAD GUY HAS NO REASON TO TARGET PERSON X OVER PERSON Y.

So the first step for a bad guy is that a person is brought to their attention as a victim by having their name published in the paper. For the concealed handgun license holders, there would be no alternative method to identify them as a target. Now, someone who has a grudge has a list of targets/victims, and the ONLY reason they have a list of targets/victims is because of the newspaper’s unilateral action. But for the Register’s actions, there is no ability to specifically target a licensee. For us, we will pretend Mr. Westerhold was on this list and thus a bad guy is now targeting him.

Now that the target has been identified, (again, keep in mind the only reason the person is identified as a target is the paper has identified the person as a gun owner/someone who carries a concealed handgun) we turn to the wonders of public records and the Internet.

It is very easy to determine that Mr. Westerhold has gone to pretty significant steps to insure that his own personal information is not public. In fact, having his name and county of residence (such as was published on the Sandusky Register's list of CHL-holders) would have saved us significant work. Running general searches will not yield a home address or phone number for him.

We do learn that he owns 322 Deepwood Lane in Amherst, Ohio. However, a quick search reveals that Mesh*** Elsw*** has the phone service there, and she claims to be a renter of Mr. Westerhold and states that Matt does not live there. Turning to the County Recorder, we see that Mr. Westerhold’s mortgage with Union National is a residential mortgage, not a commercial/rental property mortgage. If we were vindictive, we could contact the bank and let them know that Mr. Westerhold is now allegedly renting the property out to a renter, since that is potentially a default under the residential mortgage allowing the bank to foreclose the mortgage.

We also easily learn that Mr. Westerhold was cited into Oberlin Municipal Court for failure to wear a seatbelt and given a warning for speeding. We see he drives a 2003 Blue Chevy Tracker license plate DA*3816. A bad guy now has a car to look for around the Register’s parking lot if he wants to find him.

The real goldmine for the person who intends to cause harm to Mr. Westerhold is his Dissolution. With little effort we find his date of birth is 11/**/1958 and his social security number is 2**-56-6***. We also see his prior employment history and yearly salary. Having his full name, date of birth, social security number, prior employer, prior salary and current employer and a guess at his salary, combined with knowing from the Dissolution that he has/had an Auto Loan with XYZ bank and knowing his current mortgage amount and details, it would be child’s play for a bad guy to open up credit accounts and commit various other acts of identity theft against him.

More seriously, for the hardcore bad guy, these public records (per the Dissolution settlement) show that Matt has a pre-teen child who resides with his ex-wife. Reviewing the child support worksheet and the financial affidavits, we see that no tuition or school payments are listed, so it is a relatively high percentage bet that the child is a public school student. We see from the worksheet that mom has custody, so the child almost certainly is the residential parent for school purposes. From further public records, we see the marriage license from Mr. Westerhold’s ex-wife a year after the dissolution, and we already knew her date of birth, social security number and recent employer from the Dissolution. With very little effort we find ex-wife’s residence and now are relatively sure of which public school his pre-teen child goes to simply by checking the auditor’s maps for this residence for school districts. A check of the school website will show us the bus schedule for that particular school and that street or address, so we will almost certainly, with little effort, know which bus the child rides and what time it picks up/drops off. Further, most public libraries keep copies of the local school yearbooks in the reference section. Even if that is not the case, it is going to be fairly easy to get the yearbook and probably get a picture of the child for identification purposes.

Chilling, isn’t it?

How many individuals were listed in the Sandusky Register simply because they also have minor children and wished to exercise a constitutionally protected right to help ensure their children's safety? Apparently, Editor Matt Westerhold never gave it a thought.

Again, any person can do this type of stalking/abuse against any other person right now. Ohio's concealed carry law has nothing to do with these types of records being public. The point is, why would someone do this and how would they chose their victim? The bad guy has to be given motivation and has to have a reason to target a particular person for this type research/abuse. The bad guy is not going to randomly draw names out of the phone book and do this - there is no motive.

Identifying the victims provides the missing piece of the puzzle. Whether the person hates gun owners, wants to steal a gun or wants to verify that a store he is going to rob does not have concealed handgun licensees working there, the Sandusky Register has performed this service for the bad guy.

This is the true “public service” that the Register is providing its readers. The information they gathered has never been used in news reporting. You do not see their crime coverage saying “Johnny Crackhead stuck up a liquor store. He did not have a concealed handgun license.” Newspapers like the Register uses the lists as an ends, not a means. They publish the lists with no intent of the list being used for anything other than harm to the gun owner. Whether the licensee gets fired, gets evicted or gets targeted for crime is not material to the Register.

THE ONLY USE FOR THESE LISTS IS TO TARGET AND VICTIMIZE GUN OWNERS, AND THE SANDUSKY REGISTER KNOWS THIS.

Creating victims - that is the public service the Sandusky Register is providing to their readers.

Attorney Ken Hanson is Buckeye Firearms Association Legislative Chair and author of The Ohio Guide to Firearm Laws.

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/article3823.html
82ndtrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 09:35   #2
JGarcia
Guerrilla

I wonder what Mr. Westerholds response is? Something like:
Old 06-29-2007, 11:04   #3
Rogue
Guerrilla Chief

Ohioans for Concealed Carry is advising a letter writting campaign to all advertisers of the newspaper (the list is available on their website, with a sample letter)
http://www.ohioccw.org/index.php demanding the termination of Mr. Westerhold's employment.

Practice honesty and integrity; rescue the man who has been wronged from the hands of his oppressor; do not exploit the stranger, the orphan, the widow; do no violence; shed no innocent blood in this place. Jer 22:3

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” ~ Edmund Burke
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 13:25   #4
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

It's time to put all of "Matt H. Westerhold's" public information on the internet.

That should cause a pucker factor.

TS
Old 06-29-2007, 13:35   #5
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Is he a friend of Mr. Trejbal, at the Roanoke Times?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 13:47   #6
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
Is he a friend of Mr. Trejbal, at the Roanoke Times?

TR

LOL

82ndTrooper, go and post this at that website......

Roanoke Virginia just went through the same madness just a few months ago. What the angered owners did was to publish every bit of the editors "public" information on the internet. Just type "Christian Trejbal" into a google search and you'll see what happened......

http://www.roanoke.com/editorials/trejbal/wb/108160

http://www.roanoke.com/gunpermits/
Old 06-29-2007, 14:23   #7
82ndtrooper
BANNED USER

Maybe they both frequent the San Fran "Gay Parade"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant
LOL

82ndTrooper, go and post this at that website......

Roanoke Virginia just went through the same madness just a few months ago. What the angered owners did was to publish every bit of the editors "public" information on the internet. Just type "Christian Trejbal" into a google search and you'll see what happened......

http://www.roanoke.com/editorials/trejbal/wb/108160

http://www.roanoke.com/gunpermits/
I emailed these links and your quote to Ken Hanson just two minutes ago.

I follow Buckeye Firearms and Ohioans For concealed carry even though I'm in kentucky. I live just over the river and their concealed carry laws are a bit different. I try to say legal if ya know what I mean.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander.
Old 06-29-2007, 17:24   #8
HOLLiS
Area Commander

Gotta love the response, We bite back. Let's take a bite out of these anti-gun idiots.
HOLLiS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 18:17   #9
nmap
Area Commander

It occurs to me that an elegant solution to the problem exists.

If anyone on the published list - anyone at all - is a victim of burglary, assault, or other serious crime that might be a result of publication of the list, then file suit against the editor, the newspaper, and all others associated with publication.

After all, if it's possible to sue for $54,000,000 for a pair of pants, why couldn't the paper be sued if they made someone a target for crime?

I suspect that a few such lawsuits - even if unsuccessful - might make the newspaper more sensitive to gun owner concerns.

Acronym Key:

MOO: My Opinion Only
YMMV: Your Mileage May Vary
ETF: Exchange Traded Fund

Oil Chart

30 year Treasury Bond
nmap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 22:02   #10
82ndtrooper
BANNED USER

Elegant Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmap
It occurs to me that an elegant solution to the problem exists.

If anyone on the published list - anyone at all - is a victim of burglary, assault, or other serious crime that might be a result of publication of the list, then file suit against the editor, the newspaper, and all others associated with publication.

After all, if it's possible to sue for $54,000,000 for a pair of pants, why couldn't the paper be sued if they made someone a target for crime?

I suspect that a few such lawsuits - even if unsuccessful - might make the newspaper more sensitive to gun owner concerns.
This is a great idea. If we cant fine those in the media for being irresponsible for their antics under the protection of the 1st Amendment, then a few civil suits may just open some of these clowns eyes a bit.

If enough letters are sent to the advertisers of the Sandusky Register then with any hope we might see Mr. Westerholt in the unemployment line.

I'd hate to be the one that gave an angry ex lover his former girlfriends new address and then she is bruttely murdered or injured. Civil suits sounds fine to me.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:39   #11
sf11b_p
Guerrilla

The paper has a forum. One thread about this topic has a very naive woman says she has nothing to hide and is fine with published lists.

forums.sanduskyregister.com/index.php?showtopic=232
sf11b_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 12:46   #12
Sionnach
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf11b_p
The paper has a forum. One thread about this topic has a very naive woman says she has nothing to hide and is fine with published lists.

Yes, but I doubt she's one of those women who have taken out a restraining order and gotten the CCW because of some psycho ex-boyfriend/husband/stalker.

My CCW app is in the 60 day (read: 6 month) process. I have nothing to hide, but I sure as hell don't want the thugs in the ghetto behind me to know I have firearms so they can rob me when I'm not home.

If they decide to pay me a visit, I'll be happy to show them.
Sionnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 13:01   #13
Sionnach
Guerrilla

Delete. Bad intel.
Sionnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 14:26   #14
82ndtrooper
BANNED USER

Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf11b_p

She's probably not a gun owner either ! So any attack on carry concealed permit holders is just fine with her. Would she say the same if they published a list of individuals that have bounced a check with the Sandusky Bank and Trust ? My bet say's that if she's on that list then she'd be yelling about privacy rights. Double standard ? or just naive ?

By the way, I glanced over the forum and the lady that you are referring to screen named "Kitty" is 22 years old, she gives her address willingly (trying to make her point) and willingly supllies the readers with her rental payment of $367 and that it is HUD housing. Ok Kitty, you've got HUD housing because you do no have income to meet adequate standards to purchase your own home but you've got cable and online service for your computer. Gee, and the tax payers that are carry concealed permit holders are footing your nice HUD housing allowing her the ability to have internet access in her HUD housing apartment. Sick.

If this lady in the SDR forum is comfortable with lists to be published then how would she feel if they published a list of all individuals that have been treated for an STD in the last year ? After all, it's in the public health interest isn't it ? Just names and address's right ?

It's generally alway's OK to publish a list of just about anything, that is until that person becomes part of that list. What if they started listing all individuals that filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy protection ? Would she feel the same then ? or would she be embarrasssed that her now insolvent estate is put out into the public to see ?

How about if they published each woman that had an abortion in the last year ? Doctor patient confidentiality or just letting the public know who kills unborn babies and their executioners ?

As long as one is not part of any said list, then they seem to alway's fail to realize the danger and constitutional context in which the published list falls. Those who do not own firearms or have a desire to own firearms see no problem with a published list of carry concealed permit holders. The Constitution means nothing to them, that is unless it directly effects them and they suffer much the same as the victims of such a list. Suddenly they feel the violation the the carry concealed permit holders feel.

Last edited by 82ndtrooper; 06-30-2007 at 14:49.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:41   #15
TF Kilo
Guerrilla

Buy a full page ad, and post up all the non concealed permit holders.

These guys, carry guns.

These guys, don't.

Wolves, make your choice.
TF Kilo is offline   Reply With Quote