Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Special Forces Questions

Old 02-06-2012, 17:10   #1
VanZwieten
Asset

tips for patrol leading

Quiet professionals:

As my bio reads, I am currently in ROTC studying to become an officer. I am a MSIII now and will be going to LDAC this summer. I have spent a lot of time studying patrol leading and listened as much as I can to my sergeant and officer instructors, so I feel quite competent in all the basic checklist type stuff for leading a patrol. I've also been on many FTXs and feel like I've seen some good and some bad patrols (as far as cadet land goes.)

The area I would like to most direct your attention is the planning/prep phase from receiving the OPORD through rehearsals and PCI, though execution of course is important.

What I would like to know are the little innovative tricks that can be used to accomplish the mission. I'm always trying to innovate one more thing that will let it go smoothly, and I thought to myself, "Who knows patrols better than the Quiet Professionals?"

So I thought I might ask if you gentlemen have any tricks that you've seen really work well. I know everything will be different in the real world, but maybe I can just jot down notes and think of any way to apply it to my training environment. I also don't want to make you feel like I'm cheating off of your hard work, hopefully we can think of this as passing hard-earned experience down to a future Army leader.

Most respectfully.
VanZwieten
VanZwieten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 17:36   #2
Dozer523
BANNED USER

I would start by looking in the Home> the Pipeline> 18A section.
I'd get a copy of a RANGER handbook, too.
Good luck at LDAC.
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 19:07   #3
PRB
Quiet Professional

You don't have enough experience for 'tricks'....tricks kind of come to you as you experience the feel for your enemy, when you get to know him and can play him against himself.
I've been an ROTC MSIII istructor at a University and then at summer camp.
1. keep it simple...you are working with other cadets.
2. Just the basics.
3. If everything goes to shit.... assault, be aggressive, decisive.
4. Keep it simple.
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 19:32   #4
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRB View Post
You don't have enough experience for 'tricks'....tricks kind of come to you as you experience the feel for your enemy, when you get to know him and can play him against himself.
2. Just the basics.
4. Keep it simple.
Hmmm - Good advice for just about everywhere. Especially #1 and #4. Add stress, fatigue, hunger, etc. and even the most experienced Soldier will be almost as "obtuse" as an average cadet is normally.
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 20:43   #5
scooter
Quiet Professional

Quote:
2. Just the basics.
4. Keep it simple.
Great advice.... I like #3, you don't see that advice as often as you would think.
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:07   #6
Santo Tomas
Guerrilla

Tips

Quote:
2. Just the basics.
4. Keep it simple.

Great advice right there. You have to master the basics first.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:59   #7
Warchief
Quiet Professional

tips for patrol leading

One of the most important rules I learned about being a Patrol Leader in Ranger School was, "Don't ever violate the PRCS (Pricks) principle."

1. Planning
2. Reconnaissance
3. Control
4. Security
Old 02-07-2012, 11:29   #8
craigepo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchief View Post
One of the most important rules I learned about being a Patrol Leader in Ranger School was, "Don't ever violate the PRCS (Pricks) principle."

1. Planning
2. Reconnaissance
3. Control
4. Security
Long ago, when I went through Ranger School, the way we memorized this was:
"Puerto Ricans Suck C*&$ Continuously"
1. Planning
2. Reconnaissance
3. Security
4. Control
5. Common Sense

I'm sure the new politically correct version works better. No offense meant to my Puerto Rican brethren. Does make it pretty easy to remember though.

"One man with courage makes a majority." Andrew Jackson

"Well Mr. Carpetbagger. We got something in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."
Josey Wales
craigepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 20:32   #9
Jefe
Auxiliary

1 more

Just in case you're not already:

Task out your paragraphs in the WO

APL/PSG does 4, RTO does 5 and you do 1-3. You can have somebody else do 1, but I advise against it. This takes a load off you, shows you are delegating as you should and familiarizes your key guys with the plan (cause they are doing it!).

good luck.
Jefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 01:38   #10
NeverSayDie
Asset

While never having never been to LDAC, I do remember a peice of advice given to me by one of my MSIV's who made it into the double digits of the OML, right before I lead my first lane:

"Violence of action on the objective, and command presence. Its so simple that everyone forgets to make it a priority, but its F*cking vital. Get everyone hyped up! have'em do jumping jacks if you have too, but don't let them start just going through the motions or lull themselves into a relaxed state. If you let them do that, they won't snap out of it until the lane walker assigns the third casualty"

-Unknown
NeverSayDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:08   #11
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverSayDie View Post
While never having never been to LDAC, I do remember a peice of advice given to me by one of my MSIV's who made it into the double digits of the OML....
This has got to be the beginning of some really solid advice and a great war story.

Is there a shortage of professionals on this site with CIBs, SF and Ranger Tabs to dispense first-person patrolling advice?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:00   #12
zoolander6
Quiet Professional

Dont ask for tricks, dont ask for advise. Learn from your mistakes, youll remember them more once you recycle. The lessons learned will follow you for the rest of your life and benifit you more when it counts OCONUS instead of G2'ing a situation or school. If young E-3's can learn and execute patrols so can you.

my .02 (2nd time mountain phase vet)
zoolander6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 22:58   #13
NoRoadtrippin
Guerrilla

Oh how I miss LDAC....my first big "Army trip" away from home. I tried real hard to get those doctors to send me home those first couple of days. I clearly didn't know what I was getting myself into. Can't overstate how glad I am none of them listened to me.

For a CDT, I'd say that definitely violence of action and leadership presence will go a long, long ways. There will be a dearth of this at LDAC and in many other STX lanes you will participate in over the next however many years.

I don't want to say much more without some sort of green light from the Mods since this was posted under the SF questions board.
For Americans war is almost all of the time a nuisance, and military skill is a luxury like Mah-Jongg. But when the issue is brought home to them, war becomes as important, for the necessary period, as business or sport. And it is hard to decide which is likely to be the more ominous for the [terrorists] -- an American decision that this is sport, or that it is business.
-D. W. Brogan, The American Character
NoRoadtrippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 19:07   #14
ThinAir
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanZwieten View Post
Post...

LDAC? Seriously? I thought you went and figured it out on the fly- don't overthink it. And don't get lost.
ThinAir is offline   Reply With Quote