View Single Post
Old 03-21-2010, 08:22   #4
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryW View Post
I have no expeience with the weapon mentioned below, but it is somewhat attarctive as a survival piece. Just another option to a survival-type weapon. Has more heft and stopping power than the Papoose, but sacrifices added weight.

http://www.notpurfect.com/main/campgun9.htm
If your going to wander from the .22 lr, you might want to look at the Mech Tech carbines.

Their advantage is they use a 1911 or glock frame in a simple barrel/bolt combo. Not a tack driver,, not pretty,, but also not expensive. With a minimum of options, they can pack small and light, at 5.3 lbs & 25 inch. Using the hi-cap mags available for Glocks & 1911's makes it even better..

I know these are not everyone's cup to tea, but it is an alternative.

http://www.mechtechsys.com/

1911 calibers
  • 9 mm
  • 10 mm
  • 38 Super
  • 40 Smith & Wesson
  • 45 ACP
  • 460 Rowland
  • .357 Sig (Note)

Glock
  • G-17 9 mm
  • G-34 9 mm
  • G-20 10 mm
  • G-22 40 Smith & Wesson
  • G-35 40 Smith & Wesson
  • G-21 45 ACP
  • G-31 .357 Sig (Note)
  • G-19 9 mm
  • G-23 40 Smith & Wesson
  • G-32 .357 Sig (Note)

Personally, I would build up a used Ruger 10/22, put a good 16 in barrel & folding stock. If needed, a trigger job. It's a single use item, but there are millions of 10/22 out there,, so parts in an post-apocalyptic environment should not be much of a problem.

Alternately, the inexpensive, readily available AK & variants. Not light, but for the price a good truck gun. The ones built with the AMD-65 parts kit have 12.5 inch barrels with brazed or pinned flash hiders.

In the big picture, having multiple calibers gives you some flexibility in sourcing ammo. This flexibility comes with the problem of maintain parts. It's all a trade-off..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3272.jpg (46.6 KB, 41 views)

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote