View Single Post
Old 01-25-2010, 10:50   #15
akv
Area Commander

How much time do you have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Mabuse
akv makes a blanket statement regarding religion and says, "...what is "truly acceptable" changes constantly." Really? Perhaps in San Francisco.

Please give specific examples of this statement re: the Christian faith.
Dr. Mabuse,

By your tone I would guess you are a Christian. I respect your faith. In matters of faith such as religion, politics, sports teams, and red headed women people tend to have fixed views. While religions promote moral values, they are unfortunately ripe tools for manipulation.

As for what is "truly acceptable" changing in Christianity and examples, this is low hanging fruit, in the interests of time I will only hit some of the historical highlights...

The Crusades- millions die as European Christians attempt to impose their view of religion on Muslims, Jews, and Orthodox Christians.

The Inquisition- torture, burning and chaos sanctioned by the Pope.

The Reformation- Protestants emerge, Protestants and Catholics kill one another

Colonization/Witch Trials

WW2- To clarify there were Christian nations on both sides of this conflict, but the Germans and Italians who plunged Europe into world war and holocaust, were they Christians, Hindus, or Muslims?

Before this gets out of hand my point is not to bash Christianity, you asked for instances of what is acceptable changing in Christianity, unfortunately there are similar examples across faiths. So now if you respond with Christianity is good, people who performed these acts were bad, okay but several of these act were led by the leaders of the faith at the time. So I would assume what is "acceptable" has changed?
"Men Wanted: for Hazardous Journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honour and recognition in case of success.” -Sir Ernest Shackleton

“A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.” –Greek proverb
akv is offline   Reply With Quote