Thread: MTM Watches
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2011, 08:42   #4
Basenshukai
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
They have fancy names and are expensive.

The question for you is "What functions do I need in a watch and what makers provide those functions?"

The next question is "Will I cry if I lose it?" ie the Team Leader who was changing his Rolex Submariner to the outside of his wetsuit, dropped it, the watch bounced off the side of the RB and into 1,000 feet of the Pacific Ocean.

PS follow the board rules.
Ouch. I hope it was insured.

MTM is a watch design and marketing company. They outsource almost every portion of their watches to China. Their PVD pretty much sucks and will come off with daily use. The accuracy of their quartz watches, in my experience, is very good (+/- 2 sec/month, in my case).

But, they market some silly gimmicks on their watches that no self-respecting SF guy would use (strobe light LED watch, for example). They also use the same movements that the Dakota watch company uses, and for far, far less (vibrating alarm watch and the afore-mentioned LED watch, are two examples).

If you get a basic analog quartz as a gift, you are getting a nice watch. But, at their actual price point, they are way too expensive. You are better of with a G-Shock.

BTW, I own two MTM watches (basic analog quartz and a world timer). I got them both used, in like-new condition, at rock bottom prices. I also do not wear them on their metal bracelets as their PVD sucks (see above). So, I wear them (WHEN I wear them) on a black nylon NATO strap.