View Single Post
Old 03-18-2017, 22:32   #5
frostfire
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2squared View Post
If you can make it the All Army, it's well worth your time. The equipment allowed has evolved over the years to more closely match what's being used in training and issued. I still think mastering irons should be a prerequisite to using optics, but what do I know...

Below are two other courses I've taken with the AMU that they offer at other times and may be easier to justify as "Train the Trainer" than a competitive event like the All Army. They send you home with slide decks for the courses to take back and teach others in your unit. Helps the "bean counters" see benefits for the entire unit.

The CQM course includes both rifle and pistol shooting. My favorite statement from the instructors was, "You get your breaks when reloading magazines and never show up to the firing line with less than 4 magazines!"
Their SDM course demonstrates the difference in what matters and what doesn't in making an M16/M4 accurate. And if you can follow instructions, you will be engaging targets at 600+ from standing to prone faster than most engage 200m targets starting in the prone.
Absolutely concur with these 2 classes. I was talking with one instructor who spent 10 years in the regiment and he was very passionate in the SDM course (I finished top 7% and outshot him overall ...but I got beat in multigun....)

All things considered, I am starting to see that the championship is just that, a competition and not a conducive learning environment. No crawl, walk, run there. It straight up fly. It serves its function best to reveal deficiency i.e. pistol, wind reading, CQM transition, and so on. I was horrified when the pit boss instructed us not to mark misses on EIC. How the hell one supposed to learn from mistakes? Still, I learned that at certain skill level one should have enough confidence to call dead rear sight/windage and do holdoff, instead of keep blaming self until 7 misses later

Participation was poor and not a single SMU personnel this year. I think it went down hill when the prize table was no more starting in 2009 or 2010.

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote