View Single Post
Old 03-27-2014, 11:26   #21
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Jarvis View Post
Trapper, this is Short Round. I was on team A-363 between Aug. 71 to April 72. We shared the south compound with your team. Not sure if you remember me. I recall your team came back from the bush once with a baby deer. I don't think it lived long.

I had my company out on our training range one night for a practice RON prior to going to the bush. We saw some gooks coming down the mountian with flashlights (if you can belive that!). We fired off the few 60mm mortar rounds we had then I called in the 4 duece mortar from camp. I had just bracketed these bad boys when all hell broke loose on the outpost. So they shiffed fire to support the outpost and my gooks got away. I was under the understanding that my team seargant Pappy Webb had shot up the outpost all by himself. He hated ARVIN'S. Was this the same outpost attack you're referring to?

Do you remember Kim? She was a Cambodian that I believe helped you with sick call. She married a Marine and is living in Illinois. She called me many many moons ago to let me know where she landed and told me that your old team leader had killed himself. Can't remember his name.

Anyway, I just hooked up on this website this week after I came across it and saw you were still alive and kicking.
Short Round- I do remember you! Damn, this is getting to be old home week around here.

Before I go on in reply, I suggest you post your bio in the Introduction thread before one of the Moderators or Admins catch up to you, and they will. You don't want the FTFSI moniker. Also, get your DD214 etc together and send it to one of the Admins and request vetting as a QP (you too Fat Albert). I'll vouch for you guys. I bet Fat Albert remembers you too.

Now to your post. Of course I remember Kim Simon. I have a pic somewhere with her and our team in front of the team house. If you can find an address or email or phone number I'd love to get in touch with her again. Send that to me in a PM if you have the info.

I am shocked and saddened with news about CPT Larry Cano (RIP Brother).

The picture I posted in post #5 you will recognize some of those mugs. Pappy Webb is on the back row, right. Mike Chappel sent me that pic, you may remember him too (pic attached).

I recall the incident with you outside the wire. I just remember another long night on the perimeter wall. Not sure what the kerfuffle was with the RF/PF outpost, but I think Pappy was involved. Enemy activity in area was on the uptick about that time and the incident I described was a few weeks or maybe a month or two later. I think that was the same one that Fat Albert was referencing where they got ambushed. The one I was referring was about 5K from Phuc Tuoy.

Did you meet Maggie and George Peppard when they came to camp? I think it was around Thanksgiving. I was taking my 'bodes out that night for extra security. She came by especially to see us and thank me with a big hug. I'll never forget that - one helluva a great lady (RIP Maggie)!

Welcome aboard Brother!

And don't forget that Introduction post!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mike Chapell.jpg (51.9 KB, 161 views)

Last edited by Trapper John; 03-27-2014 at 11:53. Reason: Added clarification
Trapper John is offline   Reply With Quote