Thread: Home Security
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2014, 18:46   #58
Flagg
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
Have you taught him not to eat "found" food on the ground or out of the trash? Basically, it just a voice command. "No" if he goes after it and, when you feed him a meal, make him sit and wait for you to give him an "OK", command. Do that with all food sources, treats or meals. When I was training my avatar dog, I even had him give me his paw before he got the OK command. Akita's are a distant cousin to Mastiffs and are a stubborn breed. I suspect the Mastiff is, too.

Good luck.

Also, check out sound (clicker) and remote (e-collar) training. We used an e-collar to train ours to not go under a barbed wire (or any) fence, without a "GO" or "OK" command.

Pat
Our trash can lid in the house is locked.

Very rigid and consistent feeding routine(for long term health).

Before eating at every meal he is in the down position, waiting for the "go" command to eat.

We have had success with a can of air(not a loud horn, more of a hiss), maybe we could try that with a stranger and/or stranger with a newspaper.

Training wise he's been fantastic(not nearly as stubborn as our old Rottie as a pup), but he does have a funny habit of anticipating commands.
Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote