Thread: Home Security
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2014, 18:32   #54
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagg View Post
The biggest issue for us is with a new dog.

We lost the world's most awesome Rottweiller last year and have replaced him with a "Mastweiler". A cross between purebred Rottie and Mastiff.

A great dog so far, and he is REALLY topping out his training classes, except I think he is WAY too food motivated(probably why he has topped his training).

Our Rottie would eat a stranger before eating food from a stranger, the new dog is a bit sketchy in that regard.

Any top tips to try to get a food motivated dog to NOT eat food offered by strangers?
Have you taught him not to eat "found" food on the ground or out of the trash? Basically, it just a voice command. "No" if he goes after it and, when you feed him a meal, make him sit and wait for you to give him an "OK", command. Do that with all food sources, treats or meals. When I was training my avatar dog, I even had him give me his paw before he got the OK command. Akita's are a distant cousin to Mastiffs and are a stubborn breed. I suspect the Mastiff is, too.

Good luck.

Also, check out sound (clicker) and remote (e-collar) training. We used an e-collar to train ours to not go under a barbed wire (or any) fence, without a "GO" or "OK" command.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote