Thread: Home Security
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2014, 18:21   #53
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

I had a Rottie that thought people showing up at the door were there to make friends with him.

When I called the kennel he came from, they said to have a friend come by the house and ring the doorbell. When I answered the door and the dog stuck his nose out, the friend should whack the dog on the nose with a rolled-up newspaper and run away.

No lie, we only had to do that twice, and that dog was ready for some payback anytime someone showed up at the door, even years later.

He probably topped out around 120 pounds, and the charge and noise he made ensured that anyone coming around out hose knew a big, pissed off dog lived there.

Maybe the answer for you is something similar, where the stranger offers food, and then whacks him with a paper (obviously with you anchoring the leash). Might make him skittish of people offering food, I would just be concerned that he become aggressive toward all strangers.

Just my .02.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote