Thread: Bug Out Bags
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2011, 22:16   #60
plato
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Because of the weight concern, things like sleeping bags & extra clothes, tent and other motherly wishlist items are not on the list, but a drybag floats, no?

v/r
Susan
I don't know the exact scanario, but a couple of notes.

If we are talking about being soaked in cold climate, we're talking about getting warm very rapidly. I've taken my boys out roughing it in northern Michigan regularly. Breaking through, even into waist deep water can be a major danger.

In each backpack, in the most available location, we carry a lighter, Sterno, a clear poncho and some dry clothes, even if those clothes are nothing but thick pajamas and socks. (We use lots of ziplocks.)

The idea is if one of us gets wet, and the temp is very low, we put on the poncho, sit down, set the sterno inside, and light it, making a warm tent. Changing to something dry is priority one. There's no time to gather wood and start a fire. Even trying to notify the rest of the group can wait those few minutes. I've had reason to use the poncho solution a couple of times myself and it's great.

Weight may be of no concern for a large extra bag, if you're talking about getting to shore, even if the "extra goods" are numerous.

If there's enough air in a bag/container it is "weightless" until the kids drag it a few feet onshore. Making a few trips to the bag to get their goods while setting up camp, should be in the "can do" category.

And, that SPOT emergency locator is a very inexpensive solution, at about $8 or $10 per month.